Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Cpt p : AFAIK you can apply as ships master. I am currently sailing as 2nd mate with Indian chief mate license and I successfully appeared for amsa chief mates cor orals.. So should not be a problem for you too... :)

Thanks for the super quick reply, ships master it is then!

Yes, Navigator is quite correct. Ship's Master is the one you should go for, so long as a Singapore CoC is recognised, which I'm sure it is.

Just checked and yes Singapore is recognised https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms-and-publications/fact-sheets/amsa1568.pdf

Doesn't matter in what rank you sail, if you have Master Unlimited for example then AMSA will recognise Master Unlimited, even if sailing as C/O or even 2-3/O

Hi all.

I am 2nd off DPO and i have got my assessment done fromAMSA.

Now they are asking me to take COR oral examination.

Can anyone suggest me the latest questions that they ask.

Thankyou.

Send me your email in a PM and I'll send what I have.

What CoR are you going for? I mostly have Master and Chief Mate orals questions but no OOW questions thus far.

Gents/Ladies,

I am getting a lot of requests from people asking for study materials for Orals.

I have been asked by many to send additional things such as MO's, fact sheets and other items. I cannot guarantee the accuracy or if it is outdated or has been superseded.

I'm afraid there is no easy route to an orals pass as you should know already, likewise there are no exam centres that are 'easier' than others. It takes long hours of studying documents and books, keeping up to date with new legislation, and ensuring that you are competent to hold the certificate, not just 'good at passing exams'.

So on this basis I will not be sending out any more of this type of 'study materials' as I cannot accept responsibility for any poor or out of date information. However, I will continue to send orals reports that I have received from other orals candidates so that you may get an idea of the type and format of questions that examiners ask.

If anybody has any orals reports that they could also send me so I may build up an archive to send to other candidates then please PM me and I will be appreciative to accept them.

Thanks.

Edited by CaptainC

It seems that DIBP have backed down (a little) on the requirement to have PCC's for the flag of vessels that we have sailed on.

The requirements now are:

'If you have spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years working for the same employer on a merchant ship, cruise ship, private yacht or oil rig, you should request a police certificate from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails, or country of ownership of the rig.

You will also need to provide a letter or statement of good conduct from the ship’s captain or company attesting to your character. The letter should include the vessel’s name, the job you had while on the ship or rig and the start and finish dates of employment'

This addendum seems to me that, because DIBP have had a lot of people saying that they cannot get a PCC from a particular Flag State (as was the case with me, when I applied for a Bermuda PCC) that a statement of good conduct from the vessel's Master, or in the case of a Master, the company, will suffice. Brits that wish to apply may be able to use the Sea Service Testimonials that you collected throughout your career leading up to Master, as this has a section on it for 'conduct' and was completed on the date that you paid off therefore making it a more credible document in the eyes of DIBP.....in my opinon anyway!

Hey captain c, what is the source of this info? Would like to give the entire thing a good read. I've already submitted pcc from Denmark (I have sailed only on Danish ships)but not submitted the sea service letters stating good conduct. Will upload all of them as well. I expect a CO to be allocated within next 2_3 weeks..

But it's strange as to how I've missed out on these guidelines about pcc from flag state(only read about pcc reqt on this forum hence asked one from Denmark ). Now this sea service letter from master(with good conduct stated) is another thing I didn't knew .... Thanks a lot anyways.. :).

Please share/pm /email the link to these seafarer specific guidelines from dibp.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/character-police/requirements.aspx

I would imagine that you will have to at least make some effort to obtain PCC's before using letter of conduct from companies. I got an email from Bermuda Police telling me that PCC's are not available to non-residents, so I will submit the email along with conduct testimonials.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot CaptainC for Sending Study Material And lot of info.

Can you suggest Ships officer will be there in next Skillselect list or not. Which i think is update every year in july.

As im planning to apply next year.

Thanks & Regards.

Thanks alot CaptainC for Sending Study Material And lot of info.

Can you suggest Ships officer will be there in next Skillselect list or not. Which i think is update every year in july.

As im planning to apply next year.

Thanks & Regards.

That's impossible to say.

However when I looked last week DIBP have only granted 10 visas under the 'Marine Transport Professionals' ANZSCO code this programme year (July 2014-July 2015) out of a Visa grant limit of 1000.

What you make from that is your own interpretation, but to me it seems that supply is not meeting demand.

I expect that Ships Officer/Ships Captain will remain on the list for the foreseeable future, because the salaries for these positions are fairly high and the much of the skilled migration is to pull the salaries down. But without pilotage or offshore DP experience, actually getting work here is difficult, particularly if you aren't a White Australian....

Good Day All,

Is the year of examination/OOW is counted as Experience. i.e. i had employed for 8 years with the same company but had gone for my OOW Exams so that would counted as employment.

Regarding Partner Skill 5 points are there.

How would i know that she is eligible & where & How to Apply for the Assessment if any.

Thanks & Regards.

Good Day All,

Is the year of examination/OOW is counted as Experience. i.e. i had employed for 8 years with the same company but had gone for my OOW Exams so that would counted as employment.

Regarding Partner Skill 5 points are there.

How would i know that she is eligible & where & How to Apply for the Assessment if any.

Thanks & Regards.

If I understand your question correctly then I assume you're asking if the years worked before obtaining your OOW certificate of competency would be counted.

I may be wrong here, but I believe that any employment prior to becoming 'Ship's Officer/Ship's Engineer' will not be counted. I believe that you have to be employed as per the ANZSCO stated occupation and prior to gaining OOW you were not a Ship's officer or engineer.

However, you may be allowed to have this employment prior to OOW considered as a 'closely related occupation'.

A MARA registered migration agent may be able to advise you further and if you think that you may have to make an application on this basis then I would recommend that you employ the services of a MARA agent.

Regarding your wife's qualifications then this must be on the SOL. Information on the assessing authority is also on the list and you will have to contact that assessing authority as anything other than assessment by AMSA is out of the scope of this thread.

Hii folks!!! Hope you all well. You have to pardon me for not being a very active member, sry abt that but was damn busy after getting down, so now this thing is there that i was finally contacted by my CO today after a long wait, had filed my PR application on 22nd of August. She asked for some additional documents listed as under:

1) biometric pages of my passport

2) e-medical for self, initially the link was not appearing, it said "this person may be required to undergo health examinations for this visa subclass, page to be monitored for any updates"

3) third thing she asked was to obtain overseas police clearance from Liberia and Italy under whose flags I have sailed.

4) Lastly, good conduct certificates from each vessel served.

Now mate, please help me with point 3 and 4.

- Whom to contact for overseas police clearance, and what evidence would be acceptable to CO.

- Would good conduct certificates obtained from relevant companies would be acceptable as I am not having good conduct certificates from all the vessels.

Any help for above would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Amit

Hi Doonite,

I too have sailed mostly on Liberia registered ships. Though I still have to take AMSA oral and am in pretty early stage of the application process, I tried to be proactive and get information about overseas police clearance from Liberia.

The authority to issue the police check is the "Ministry of Justice, Liberia". I tried to find their contact information but there is none available on the internet.

I then emailed two agencies which I could find the contact information of - Liberian Consulate in India, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Liberia. I will quote for you the replies I received.

Consulate: "Dear Sir,

We have forwarded your request- however it may not be possible to give police clearance certification remotely.

Regards,

Honorary Consulate for Republic of Liberia"

Ministry of Foreign Affairs: "Dear Sir,

Compliments, I am the webmaster of the Bureau of Public Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and we could arrange the process of obtaining the Certificate, it will need your general information and the processing fees and it can dont.

231-777046535"

I didn't call the Ministry as I didn't need the certificate right away. You can try calling the number given at the end of the email. I am quite skeptical though about the response, in the midst of all the Ebola cases they are having to deal with.

If you do get a positive reply, please post the procedure and cost here on the forum. It will be helpful.

Hii ravman,

thanks for info mate...have tried getting in touch with the authorities in liberian flag state and minitry of justice, Liberia but did not received any information from them so far. Will send them reminder again tomorrow.

have also contacted liberian consulate, new delhi, awaiting their reply.

will also try ministry of foreign affairs, thanks mate for the contact no., will try calling if mail is not responded.

sure will post the updates,

but in case we do not receive any response, what are we supposed to do...guess inform CO of the same with all the evidences we have,

lets c... What turns up.

cheers,

amit

Edited by Doonite
Add details

D

DutyOfficer%40liscr.com?at=AF6bupN1nM4YX0_Iz5aDaCyH1G9CFg18wg&sz=100&pld=1

DutyOfficer@liscr.com

I

info%40liscr.com?at=AF6bupN1nM4YX0_Iz5aDaCyH1G9CFg18wg&sz=100&pld=1

info@liscr.com

S

seafarers%40liscr.com?at=AF6bupN1nM4YX0_Iz5aDaCyH1G9CFg18wg&sz=100&pld=1

seafarers@liscr.com

M

mansumana%40liscr.com?at=AF6bupN1nM4YX0_Iz5aDaCyH1G9CFg18wg&sz=100&pld=1

mansumana@liscr.com

S

safynbrownell%40yahoo.com?at=AF6bupN1nM4YX0_Iz5aDaCyH1G9CFg18wg&sz=100&pld=1

safynbrownell@yahoo.com

I

info%40honconsulgeneralliberia.in?at=AF6bupN1nM4YX0_Iz5aDaCyH1G9CFg18wg&sz=100&pld=1

info@honconsulgeneralliberia.in

These are the e-mail addresses i had contacted

if anyone cud suggest who else to contact...wud be g8 help

cheers,

amit