Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

I think it cost me about $280 ish, including xray. The AMSA medical is booked centrally telling them which city, and they select a doctor. It's a very comprehensive medical.

Thanks, just putting a budget together. I'll probably just go to $350 for my planning to be on the safe side.

Is it a lot more intense than an ENG1 or the Dutch Medical?

Good Day All

I have posted in this thread before. It looks like I am going to be getting permission to return to WA as a spouse. This leads me to my next question will I have to complete the CEC process in order to work in Australian Waters?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Talked to one of my mates who came to OZ on another visa and had to go thru the process for an equivalent cert

Peter,

I'm not totally sure, some employers ask for it. But I haven't worked on an Australian ship yet and probably never will. Have worked on an Isle of Man registered one though in Aussie waters, that was easy. :-)

We're you sailing with BP earlier on their IOM fleet?

We're you sailing with BP earlier on their IOM fleet?

Nah, it worked for a small welsh shipping company when I qualified on IoM ships, then worked for the cruise lines and various other obscure ships. Knocked on every door in Australia, did my DP Basic and begged for a job offshore here, got there in the end.

Thanks

I figured as much I am probably going to remain With my current employer Until I have sailed as Chief for a bit, Pending my Nav resit.

Hopefully gonna be back there early next year :)

I am Currently on one of my companies ships which is normally In Australia and Not Aussie Flag we might be getting back there I am hoping I should be able to remain onboard :)

Many Thanks

Good Day All

I have posted in this thread before. It looks like I am going to be getting permission to return to WA as a spouse. This leads me to my next question will I have to complete the CEC process in order to work in Australian Waters?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Hi Peter,

Seems I misread your last post and even asked my own question about it even though I know the answer!!

I worked for an Australian company while I was on a Australian Partner visa around 2007-9. The ships were British flag and I used my normal UK CoC for that. On a partner visa the only reason you'd need an Aus CEC or COR is if you were seeking employment on an Australian Registered Ship. This isn't to say that some Australian employers wouldn't expect you to have a CEC or COR, but in my case, working for Carnival Australia, I didn't need anything extra than the UK certs.

Hello everyone, I have just applied for AMSA Master assessment and I found this thread extremely helpful. Thanks for posting the details.

Kindly pass me the study material / orals questionnaire

I also have a question:

After receiving the AMSA invitation for orals, how do I go about booking my orals. Its there online but not so clear and thus kindly elaborate.

Any help is dearly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Captain M

Hello everyone, I have just applied for AMSA Master assessment and I found this thread extremely helpful. Thanks for posting the details.

Kindly pass me the study material / orals questionnaire

I also have a question:

After receiving the AMSA invitation for orals, how do I go about booking my orals. Its there online but not so clear and thus kindly elaborate.

Any help is dearly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Captain M

My advice would be to contact the examination centre directly, the new Form419 does not appear to be appropriate for candidates that are taking orals for immigration purposes.

I contacted AMSA asking the same question and they referred me to the preferred exam centre.

My advice would be to contact the examination centre directly, the new Form419 does not appear to be appropriate for candidates that are taking orals for immigration purposes.

I contacted AMSA asking the same question and they referred me to the preferred exam centre.

I received an email this morning from the examination centre where I intend to sit orals.

Form 419 is mandatory to complete now. However, you don't need to provide any of the documents that you've already sent to Canberra for the skills assessment because they are already on file.

On the day of orals, or before if you prefer, you must take all the original certificates required to the exam centre so they can sight them and make additional copies if required.

I received an email this morning from the examination centre where I intend to sit orals.

Form 419 is mandatory to complete now. However, you don't need to provide any of the documents that you've already sent to Canberra for the skills assessment because they are already on file.

On the day of orals, or before if you prefer, you must take all the original certificates required to the exam centre so they can sight them and make additional copies if required.

Thanks for the update. Its clear to me now that once I receive the confirmation about my assessment, its AMSA whom I have to ask regarding the booking procedure but 419 seems to be compulsory.

Can you please advice about how many days did it take you to receive the AMSA letter of invitation to appear for the orals. I want to prepare myself mentally about the time frame involved. Also kindly send me some reading material / past oral questions if possible

Thanks a Lot

Edited by The Pom Queen
Removed email as per forum rules

Guest jshyamantak

Dear Sir

Could you please advise if it is a requirement to have 12 out of the last 24 months for the Initial assessment by AMSA.

I am in stage 1 of the process, will be sending my documents for AMSA verification for issue of an invitation letter for Orals.

I do not have 12 months out of the last 24 as I was appearing for Chief Mate exam from UK.

Self is currently holding a Chief Mate CoC and intend to fill up AMSA form 12 for initial verification.

Dear Sir

Could you please advise if it is a requirement to have 12 out of the last 24 months for the Initial assessment by AMSA.

I am in stage 1 of the process, will be sending my documents for AMSA verification for issue of an invitation letter for Orals.

I do not have 12 months out of the last 24 as I was appearing for Chief Mate exam from UK.

Self is currently holding a Chief Mate CoC and intend to fill up AMSA form 12 for initial verification.

I don't think it's a problem.

Where did you hear this?