Dependant wanting to sponsor Spouse - Possible??

yourfriendkyle

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can advise on the following:

My family applied to move to Australia and was granted a perminant residency visa, I was included in this as a dependant as I was just below 18 at the time.

After a few years my parents moved out to Oz, while I'm still in the UK (my visa window runs out next March). At the time when my parents where applying, I had a girlfriend (of a few months) at the time, she is now my wife (we got married a month ago!).

Is it possible for me to sponcer her through a Partner visa, subclass 309 (& subclass 100 2 years after entering Australia) even though I was a dependant on my Fathers visa?

Any help is very much appreciated!!

If you've got a PR visa then I think you can - have a look at the info on the DIAC site for the partner visa to confirm though :)

You'd need to get things happening pretty quickly to make sure you can both enter before your window closes though!!

Hopefully someone with more detailed knowledge will answer too... (I'm an Aussie by birth who sponsored her hubby)

:)

Once granted, your visa is indepent of your father's. So yes, you can sponsor your wife for a partner visa.

One thing to be careful of, is to not claim you were a DeFacto couple at the time your visa was granted, as one condition of being a dependent on your dad's visa is that you were single at the time. It's fine to have been dating, and then after you got your visa things got more serious, and you're now married.