Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ariefyuwarsa

get marry and apply for 820 partner temporary visa..need advise

Recommended Posts

Guest ariefyuwarsa

Hi All, please could anyone help with any advice.

i came from Indonesia (holding 457 visa - expiry date: July 2012) currently work in Sydney and my fiance (Australian PR) currently work in Sydney too is planning to marry in Sydney marriage registry office this month.

Later after get marriage certificate, we want to apply Partner temporary visa (820). i have a few question about it, perhaps someone can help us with an answer :

1. How long is processing time for onshore 820 - Partner temporary visa, as i came from high risk country?

2. Can i get bridging visa when my working visa getting expired?

3. Should i go out from Australia for a while after get my visa approved if let say my working visa still valid?


Thanks and warm regards,


new joiner


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

to answer your questions:

1) Processing times for onshore partner visas currently seem to be up to/just over a year. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/80286-onshore-partner-visa-application-time-frame.html

Not sure whether being from a high risk country would add to that or not, as they may get the ball rolling for those checks in parallel with the visa processing time.


2) (and 3) When you submit the partner application, you will be issues with a bridging visa A which will be on stand-by and activate when your current visa runs out. This will allow you to continue living in Australia and working for your current employer while the partner visa is processed. However the BVA doesn't allow travel outside of Australia. For this you need a BVB which is generally only granted for business or emergency travel. If your employer is willing and you'll want to travel outside australia, it might be worth just applying for another 457 to keep you going.



nb: make sure you get the full marriage certificate. The ornamental one you get given on the day is not suitable for official purposes. You need to apply for an extract from the registry http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/marriages/marriageCertificates.htm (costs $46 for a standard certificate)


Good luck with everything :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this