Electrician looking for work - Advice needed please!

clarew

Hi all...My OH is an Electrician with over 20 years experience in Industrial, commercial & domestic installations. He is 44 and it seems the only way to get the chance to move to Oz would be with a 457 employer sponsorship visa.. I was wondering if anyone has been through the same process? (applying for jobs whilst in the UK) We have sent his CV to a few businesses and so far no response.. Going to keep going! Has anyone got any advice/success stories they would like to share?! Got tickets booked for the London Oz Expo this Sat. Thanks very much in advance

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all...My OH is an Electrician with over 20 years experience in Industrial, commercial & domestic installations. He is 44 and it seems the only way to get the chance to move to Oz would be with a 457 employer sponsorship visa.. I was wondering if anyone has been through the same process? (applying for jobs whilst in the UK) We have sent his CV to a few businesses and so far no response.. Going to keep going! Has anyone got any advice/success stories they would like to share?! Got tickets booked for the London Oz Expo this Sat. Thanks very much in advance

Am not sure about sponsorship visas but I think it might be quite hard to get sponsorship as an electrician as you still need to get the licences for whatever state you go to, and white card. Also a lot of firms look for other quals such as EWP, First Aid, HV etc. Your husband is still within the age of getting a skilled PR Visa, get your application in quick! You might be lucky with sponsorship am no expert but personally I wouldnt think so

Just to let you know the licencing is changing in July so there is one licence for the whole of Australia instead of one for each state, they are supposed to recognise each others just now but some of them dont.

• 3 months later...
Guest Jeanette

Hi Clarew,

Just wondered if you had got anywhere with this? We are in exactly the same situation - OH is 42 yr old electrician with over 20 years experience & the only option available to us now is employer sponsorship. Have you had any responses from employers?

Also, was the London Expo any good?

Only other option that was available to us was for OH to take an IELTS test & score at least 8 in each section - worth 20points which meant we could have applied for 176 visa but after doing 2 tests he's convinced he won't be able to get that score.

I'm looking to start contacting employers now but don't really know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi there I'm in this situation although mines going well I'm a 30yo electrician and going to Aus on a 457 visa. I dealt with a company LIVE THE DREAM and they have been great started with them in feb this year and they deal with everything from finding u a job, a bank, moving and sorting your visa. I have found them to be great. So good i am getting a job offer this week and hope to be in Aus by Christmas it all seems to be going great and faster than I thought so I would give them a phone, they have changed my life they could change yours too.

Really - seems like a plug for this company! First post and all. What are the fees? What is the guarantee that you will get a job? Will it just be for a few months? Will they add your family to the visa or do they expect you to go on your own?

Hi there I'm in this situation although mines going well I'm a 30yo electrician and going to Aus on a 457 visa. I dealt with a company LIVE THE DREAM and they have been great started with them in feb this year and they deal with everything from finding u a job, a bank, moving and sorting your visa. I have found them to be great. So good i am getting a job offer this week and hope to be in Aus by Christmas it all seems to be going great and faster than I thought so I would give them a phone, they have changed my life they could change yours too.

LOL that is deffo a company plug !!!!! Loving the company motto at the end !!!!

It's a genuine post, yes there are fees but at stages of the process, yes the company I'm going over to work with are taking my family over on the visa too wife and two kids, the job is a perement job with them putting me through all my training and qualifications, might seem to good to be true to youse but I know I'm not telling and lies. If you don't try you'll never find out they also have another electrician going over to the same company. I'm guessing all company's that they deal with have different set ups but this is what I'm being offered. I'll leave a new post when I know more about my job offer. Oh and I'll be in oz before youse lol.

It's a genuine post, yes there are fees but at stages of the process, yes the company I'm going over to work with are taking my family over on the visa too wife and two kids, the job is a perement job with them putting me through all my training and qualifications, might seem to good to be true to youse but I know I'm not telling and lies. If you don't try you'll never find out they also have another electrician going over to the same company. I'm guessing all company's that they deal with have different set ups but this is what I'm being offered. I'll leave a new post when I know more about my job offer. Oh and I'll be in oz before youse lol.

1. It is not a permanent job - a 457 is a temporary work permit therefore can finish any time

2. They cannot guarantee you an Electricians Licence, they are only a recruitment agency and do not issue licences

3. Considering I have PR, previously lived in Oz and am returning next Sunday, I hardly think you will be there before me.

Oh and I still dont believe this is not a post by the Recruitment Company

Guest Jeanette

Hi bpheletrics, can you give me a rough idea of the fees? Also how long do you have to train to get the relevant qualifications/licenses? I've been trying to find out but the info on here varies. Any info would be appreciated.

As to AJ's points I know it could end at anytime but it's not like a 6 month job it's classed as a permanent job, it's the company in Aus that are putting me through my licence not the recruitment company and yeah fair enough you may be there before me lol. I can assure u I'm a genuine and nothing to do with recruitment company.

Hi jeanette the fees are about £3500 with £300 up front and the rest in two installments as the process goes on. Not sure about training as I haven't done it yet not sure if it's going to be here in uk or in Aus will find out this week and I'll let u know more as I find out. Hope this been helpful and all the best.

As to AJ's points I know it could end at anytime but it's not like a 6 month job it's classed as a permanent job, it's the company in Aus that are putting me through my licence not the recruitment company and yeah fair enough you may be there before me lol. I can assure u I'm a genuine and nothing to do with recruitment company.

Hi jeanette the fees are about £3500 with £300 up front and the rest in two installments as the process goes on. Not sure about training as I haven't done it yet not sure if it's going to be here in uk or in Aus will find out this week and I'll let u know more as I find out. Hope this been helpful and all the best.

I'm sorry but this sounds really suss to me.

• 1 month later...
Really - seems like a plug for this company! First post and all. What are the fees? What is the guarantee that you will get a job? Will it just be for a few months? Will they add your family to the visa or do they expect you to go on your own?

AJ you read my mind ...lol

Loved the "they changed my life bit"

Perhaps they could "change the lives" of all the unemployed tradies in Aus, that we have already ???????

Hi there all just a wee up date got my contract for my job in Aus, signed and sent back just my visas to sort now, need to get a passport for my 5 week old boy, going to Sydney first to do my training first then up to singleton to start a new life with my wife and two boys.

I hope you are genuine, and not trying to plug a recruitment company

Theres some people very desperate to get to OZ, and they will do or pay anything to get here, and I would hate to see anyone scammed

If theres so many jobs, in OZ,,,why would anyone need to pay a recruitment company????

Recruitment companies receive their fees from the employer

I would hope no-one is dumb enough to pay a recruitment company or anyone else,to try and secure work

Yes I'm genuine, wouldn't want to try and scam anyone, yes I must be one of the dumb people that is paying a recruitment company as u said people would do anything or pay anything to get there, if it wasn't for them I don't think I would have the job that I have plus they do all the paper work and the fee includes my visa payment for all of us. All the other recruitment company's that I looked at all wanted a fee and livethedream were reasonably priced. They have done everything they said they would so I think it was worth it. Australia here we come.

Sounds a bit suspect to me! I am an electrician in Perth recently arrived and am struggling to get work with a very impressive CV and experience due to the years gap training and not having a full license and i know there are loads more sparks in the same boat as me. So why would a company pay a recruiter to get them an electrician with no oz experience or license or visa when there are plenty here already looking for work with PR and and Restricted licenses that could be employed for less money too............................................................ Keep plugging and people like me will keep posting the real facts.

If u can't find a job thats not my fault but I know that I've signed my contract and are just waiting on my visa to be prossesed. I'm going to be working in hunter valey, singleton, nsw. I'm not going to be an on site electrician but a plant electrician, I've had Skype calls with the branch manager and met with the operations manager in London. They had interviews with electricians, machanics and other trades in London and Ireland, so why they are not taking on people from Aus you would need to ask them. If u want to give me your email address I will happily show u my contact to show that I am genuine.

If u can't find a job thats not my fault but I know that I've signed my contract and are just waiting on my visa to be prossesed. I'm going to be working in hunter valey, singleton, nsw. I'm not going to be an on site electrician but a plant electrician, I've had Skype calls with the branch manager and met with the operations manager in London. They had interviews with electricians, machanics and other trades in London and Ireland, so why they are not taking on people from Aus you would need to ask them. If u want to give me your email address I will happily show u my contact to show that I am genuine.

I have found work now but that's because im here. Im sorry but i still smell the brown stuff your spouting. No electrical contractor is going to spend fortunes recruiting someone who effectively has to be supervised for a year. That's a huge cost for someone who can not sign work off and who has to have a log book filled out.Those who are here or have applied for licenses know what the electrical industry in oz is really like. Do you get a company Porsche as well?

Everyone on this site is so negative not one well done just people trying to call me a liar, that I'm just making everything up, I don't care about anyone else getting a job or they can't find work in Aus. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones that can find a job, right place at the right time. I only care about my opertunity and my family's.