Windows on new builds ???

jamjar

Hiya

We have been looking/researching houses online - mostly new builds. Could someone please explain why a lot of the house have rather strange windows and by that I mean small strip windows rather high up. Obviously these still let in light but you cant really look out them.

Our logic so far has to be either:

1. Privacy? Well I know the newer blocks are samller and therefore the houses are closer, but curtains/blinds take care of this.

or

2. Heating? or rather trying to keep the house cool. Again aircon or fans could take care of this?

Just seems a bit odd, any insight would be great. Or if anybody has gone through the process of buying a new build from the start can you change/choose the type of windows

Thanks

Robert

Guest Guest26012
Hiya

We have been looking/researching houses online - mostly new builds. Could someone please explain why a lot of the house have rather strange windows and by that I mean small strip windows rather high up. Obviously these still let in light but you cant really look out them.

Our logic so far has to be either:

1. Privacy? Well I know the newer blocks are samller and therefore the houses are closer, but curtains/blinds take care of this.

or

2. Heating? or rather trying to keep the house cool. Again aircon or fans could take care of this?

Just seems a bit odd, any insight would be great. Or if anybody has gone through the process of buying a new build from the start can you change/choose the type of windows

Thanks

Robert

We rented a house a few years ago here that was a duplex and had windows in the bedrooms like that. We were very close to the house next door so I guess that was the reason. Not the case with our house that we built. We have large windows and large sliding doors, but we are detached! Depends on the type of house tbh.

It is part of the building codes:

Provide glass areas in excess of 20 per cent of the floor area of each room. This is generaI rule-of-thumb.

Most buiIding codes recommend that the glass area be not less than 10 percent, but much more is desirable to meet daylight requirements on cloudy days.

On brighter days, the amount of light can be controlled by interior and exterior shading devices

As for the positioning:

Place the window as high in the wall as possible to lengthen the depth of light penetration into the room. If possible, place the head of the window close to the ceiling. More sky is visible through the upper parts of the window than the lower; moreover, the overhead sky is brighter than the sky at horizon

Guest JimmyC

Long thin windows - awnings. Awnings open via a wind out mechanism.

They are more efficient than standard sliding windows at circulating air around the room.

In general an awning will be used for either aesthetics or to comply with building regulations. A bedroom would usually need an awning if the distance from the room to the boundary was 1000m.

I would choose an awning over a sliding window if security was a concern as well.

Archived