Points for Skills

cazstef

I'm 30 and have worked in accountacy and finance since leaving college at 18. I qualified as a CIMA accountant in May 2010 and five years prior to that i compleated my AAT.

I've had my skills assessed by CPA Australia and have now obtained state sponsopship for Victoria. I'm now in the process of applying for my 176 Visa but i'm concerned about the number of 'skilled' years they will accept. As I’ve only been actually qualified as an acccountant for 2 years can i claim any skills points, do they only accept skilled years as actual qualified years? I need an extra 5 points to get to 65. Many Thanks in advance Cath

Hi Cath,

Do you need to claim points for employment ? Your age gives you 30 points, if you get all 8's in IELTS then that's another 20, your sponsorships gives you 5 and your CIMA gives you 10 (or 15 if equivalent to bachelors degree) so that's the 65 you need.

Cheers

Foxy

It may be worthwile having a chat with an agent or getting your experience assessed by CPA. I am ACCA and have read posts on here that skilled employment only starts once full membership is gained but I don't think this is the case. Skilled employment is based on what you actually do. To work in our field you do not need to be a full member of an accounting body, only if you want to practice so it is not a legal requirement as is with a solicitor or doctor. If you are heavily involved in accounts and accounts prep then this should be ok.

Perhaps speak with an agent to see what they think to your duties, each case is different. Failing that then it's a re-sit on the IELTS. I subscribed to Scotts English for 30 days ,think it was USD 55 and was really helpful with lots of tips and lots of practice tests which is they key as time is your enemy.

Good Luck !

Hi,

I'm really interested to find this out too. I have been working in core Financial Accounting roles for the last 5 years but am not fully CIMA qualified yet (all exams completed in November 2011 and have my practical experience signed off to be assessed in an interview next Saturday) ... so nearly done! But I don't think my 5 years will count having read the CPA website even though it is "skilled employment" in my mind.

I thought you could have your skills assessed at the same time as your qualifications with CPA for the same price?

As soon as I have my practical experience assessed I will be sending everything to CPA, hoping they'll count my employment as skilled though I'm highly doubtful. But they will check it within the cost of the qualification assesment so no harm in trying I reckon!

Hi Katiem,

This link may be useful http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/118665-help-accountant-work-experience-lodging-after-july-1st-3.html as the question has been asked before. I'm going to ring CPA in London on Monday as someone commented on how helpful Teresa is. Might try asking Alan Collett. I'll let you know that outcome. Fingers crossed that i can claim since i was AAT qualified. Good luck for sat, i's not that bad, honest!

• 3 weeks later...

It's not looking good, i called DIAC in London and they said as a general rule you can only claim points for experience after you've qualified however the lady did say you can go to the authority who assesed your skills and they will advise you. The problem with that the CPA will only assess your skills after you qualified!

I have spoken to Teresa at CPA London, she was going to email a contact of hers in the DIAC however i'm not confident i'm going to hear back from her, to be fair to Teresa she siad she may not get a responce either.

I've decided to resit my IELTS and hopefully get over 8 in all areas!