UK Frozen Aged Pension

winter1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband (Australian age pensioner) will be paid when we go to UK. Me (disability pension) will not be paid after 6 weeks (2012 Budget). To claim the aged pension in Oz, I must be 'resident' in Australia at 65 (according to my birth date) AND must remain a resident for another 2 years before it becomes portable. If I go back to UK permanently now at 62 years of age I will get no Aussie age pension despite having worked here for 30 years. However, for any UK citizen who applies for Aussie Pension here (once a resident or citizen and of pension age and having fulfilled resident requirements) they are automatically asked to put in a claim for any UK age pension entitlements and the Aussie pension is reduced dollar for dollar depending on income test. Seems unfair that it does not work both ways.

So if you have paid into an Australian pension for 30 years and return to the uk permantaly you will receive no pension from australia? If that s the case the British pension although t is frozen is far mre genourous.

The pensioner associations that are fighting for equity with UK based pensioners are not expecting any back dating of this. Also there are many expat pensioners returning to the UK and also adding to the cost by then claiming other social security benefits and NHS treatment which cost a lot more. than just uprating the pension.

Also the Australian Government up rates the Australian pension across Europe and in the UK if it has been drawn for 2 years before moving.

There are also many migrants that came to Britain in the 50s and 60s that would like to go home and spend their retirement years in their country of birth and because of the freezing of the pension cannot afford to do so. The actual cost to the UK Government is miniscule and if the other factors are taken into consideration then it could actually provide a saving.

The pensioner associations that are fighting for equity with UK based pensioners are not expecting any back dating of this. Also there are many expat pensioners returning to the UK and also adding to the cost by then claiming other social security benefits and NHS treatment which cost a lot more. than just uprating the pension.

Also the Australian Government up rates the Australian pension across Europe and in the UK if it has been drawn for 2 years before moving.

There are also many migrants that came to Britain in the 50s and 60s that would like to go home and spend their retirement years in their country of birth and because of the freezing of the pension cannot afford to do so. The actual cost to the UK Government is miniscule and if the other factors are taken into consideration then it could actually provide a saving.

Can a Brit who as worked 30 years in oz claim his Australian pension if he returns to th uk.

I believe so if he has drawn it in Oz for two years before he returns.

So if has paid in for 30 years and returns to the uk a month before he retires he will not get the Australian pension he has paid into....if that's the case it is more unfair than the frozen pension.

I find it very confusing.

From my understanding of the Centrelink website, you can't get any Australian (government) pension at all no matter when you move to the UK, as the UK is no longer an "agreement" country for social security purposes.

That was also my understanding however I went to CentreLink for a pre retirement interview and went through all the details and the advisor said that was the case.

• 3 weeks later...

What this will do if it is debated....just like when someone went to the court if human rights a few years back, for men to get their pension at 60 like women, they raised the women's inline with men to 65, they will just freeze countries who get it now to bring it in line with oz.

So if has paid in for 30 years and returns to the uk a month before he retires he will not get the Australian pension he has paid into....if that's the case it is more unfair than the frozen pension.

I think people are getting the pension paid by the Aust Govt and Superannuation pensions a bit mixed up. If you pay into a super fund in Aust you can still get that if you go back to the UK because it is money you paid into the fund. It has nothing to do with the Govt.

That is very different to the pensions paid by the Aust Govt which is paid for by tax payers. A lot of Aussies will never get this type of pension either because they have done the right thing and paid sufficient money into superannuation during their working lives to fund their retirements.

Guest Guest66881
I think people are getting the pension paid by the Aust Govt and Superannuation pensions a bit mixed up. If you pay into a super fund in Aust you can still get that if you go back to the UK because it is money you paid into the fund. It has nothing to do with the Govt.

That is very different to the pensions paid by the Aust Govt which is paid for by tax payers. A lot of Aussies will never get this type of pension either because they have done the right thing and paid sufficient money into superannuation during their working lives to fund their retirements.

So it's basically fend for your selves here then, no real government hand outs?

So it's basically fend for your selves here then, no real government hand outs?

Pensions are provided to those who are unable to provide for themselves. Compulsory superannuation was introduced to ensure an ageing population wouldn't bring the country to its knees down the track.

Guest Guest66881

And a excellent system it is, i have no issues with paying in, but now you have explained that those who have had troubles or run into bad times would be looked after in old age.

And a excellent system it is, i have no issues with paying in, but now you have explained that those who have had troubles or run into bad times would be looked after in old age.

So you still get it in oz if you have just spent it on drink and fags and have not bothered to fund your own pension.

Pensions are provided to those who are unable to provide for themselves. Compulsory superannuation was introduced to ensure an ageing population wouldn't bring the country to its knees down the track.

the UK pension system is a good and fair system and was going when the UK was booming, it has not brought the UK to its knees in anyway.

the UK pension system is a good and fair system and was going when the UK was booming, it has not brought the UK to its knees in anyway.

Without superann all countries running a pension scheme will eventually "be brought to their knees" if they don't make superann compulsory ie "user pays". There are less (tax) contributions being paid to service a larger pensionable age population which are also living longer. In living longer, they are also using more tax funding health sevices which once went towards pensions................simple maths.

Without superann all countries running a pension scheme will eventually "be brought to their knees" if they don't make superann compulsory ie "user pays". There are less (tax) contributions being paid to service a larger pensionable age population which are also living longer. In living longer, they are also using more tax funding health sevices which once went towards pensions................simple maths.

or increase the age till you get it.

Just to clarify the australian super contributions are paid by the employer not the employee, are compulsory and cannot be spent until retirement. The employee manages which fund(s) the employer money goes into and has some control over the investment.

Edited by fish.01

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]

Before 1 July 1960

[/TD]

[TD=width: 141]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]