Will we like Cairns?!

imo2oz

Guest The Pom Queen
I know you said Caravonica was at risk, which others are best to give a wide berth? I guess that most areas have some sort of risk of flooding if the weather conditions are right. Given that Cairns is next to the sea and the rainforest hills isn't the ideal situation. Not that the risk is putting me off at all.

Look it really does depend on the situation, for example when Yasi was bearing down on us all the Northern Beach suburbs were evacuated, the Cyclone shelter in Redlynch was packed and they were turning people away. You could do with looking at the flood maps on the council website, the main thing is to keep well away from the Barron River and it's catchment areas. A worse case scenario for the Barron for an example if there was a 2% AEP Flood would mean the following amount of houses would be flooded:

Aeroglen 22

Barron 8

Caravonica 297

Freshwater 2

Holloways Beach 209

Kamerunga 56

Machans Beach 82

Smithfield 16

Stratford 10

Yorkeys Knob 44

Redlynch 3

Trinity Park 17

It's also common for the Captain Cook Highway to be closed with floods and the only way in to the CBD is on the Redlynch Intake Road. Some suburbs like Machans and Holloways can be cut off for days.