Pet microchip registration in Oz

NowPerth

Just for info.

Anyone bringing a pet into Oz will have had it microchipped. The uk personal details won't show up on the Aussie database if your pet is found and handed to a vet, ranger or RSPCA etc over here. You will need to reregister your microchip no and personal details over here in order for them to contact you if your pet is found. (You don't need a new microchip). We just did this through our vet and it cost $25 per pet.

There are a number of different registration companies, CAR is a big and well established one. When a ranger or vet check an animal and type its number in they check a central database which has details from all the different companies. It tells them which company the pet is registered with and then they can get in touch with that company to get your contact details.

Guest The Pom Queen

It's CAR that I use to register my clients up to, some vetS use the Narional Pet Register but it's not as popular interstate

Just for extra info, here in NSW most Councils make it obligatory for pets to be registered with the NSW Animal Companion Register - I had to fill in numerous different forms to get my 3 cats registered. It is a "closed" registry in that only authorised persons may actually register the animals, so you can fill out the forms but then an actual Council worker has to input them into the system. There are also different prices according to whether the animals are desexed or not.

I am now also considering registering them in another National registry just in case, not that they ever escape, too busy either sleeping or hiding under the sofa!

DSC_0847.jpg

DSC_0847.jpg