176 visa lodged March 2012

Guest jamesandstephcole

I got my citizenship application in last week, added 2 of the kids on mine, 3rd kid is already an Aussie citizen. All pretty straightforward just took ages as I had to re-enter the same info repeatedly it seemed. My hubby did his but it asked for pcc's and a Centrelink certificate. This is because he is from NZ but he applied for a pr visa and is not a kiwi who lived in Aus prior to 2001. With the answers to the questions I would have thought it would have ruled out the extra pcc's etc, they weren't added and a note was put instead saying they don't apply as we both have not been out of Aus since arriving for more than a year or 90days in a single country. Has anyone else applied?

So the final journey begins :) I'll be applying next week.

From what I understand, you can call DIBP to bring your test date forward. Apparently, they are trialing online rescheduling in some areas - if you come under one of those then you should see a reschedule link in your test date email.

Yeah, the first 3 parts of manual is all you need -https://www.border.gov.au/Citizenship/Documents/our-common-bond-2014.pdf

Only about 30 pages to go through. Probably give it an hour. They also have youtube videos, practice questions in the manual and practice questions on the internet. Just need to get 15 out of 20 questions right.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome Leanie and ToOz

Well done on getting this close.

We are not far off. Another few months to go.

I am just about to start my 3rd new job since arriving. We were living in Brisbane but bought a house on the North Gold Coast. It made sense to go for a job closer to home. My new job is just a one year contract. After that we are planning to do one year outside Oz and rent the house out (assuming our citizenship is all done by then) and then return. We like Oz but in need of a small temporary adventure to mix it up a bit.

Let us know how it all goes

I got my citizenship application in last week, added 2 of the kids on mine, 3rd kid is already an Aussie citizen. All pretty straightforward just took ages as I had to re-enter the same info repeatedly it seemed. My hubby did his but it asked for pcc's and a Centrelink certificate. This is because he is from NZ but he applied for a pr visa and is not a kiwi who lived in Aus prior to 2001. With the answers to the questions I would have thought it would have ruled out the extra pcc's etc, they weren't added and a note was put instead saying they don't apply as we both have not been out of Aus since arriving for more than a year or 90days in a single country. Has anyone else applied?

Hi Leanie

Congratulation. Looks like your husband and I are in similar circumstances. NZer with PR Visa (not Pre 2001 NZer) applying for Oz citizenship. I have recently applied online and was surprised to be asked for Centrelink Certificate but not PCCs. I wonder if we need to contact DIBP to find out more.

Have you applied yet Tooz?

I hope you are enjoying living on the Gold Coast Millie. When can you apply for citizenship?

James yes it's strange that they ask for the extra info from kiwis who aren't prior to 2001. Did you add a note to explain why those documents weren't added? My hubby did. Have you heard back from them yet? We are still waiting to hear from them with the appointment. As I am regional they will need to send staff up, I think the staff would be quite keen as its a nice time of year up the top end.

Have you applied yet Tooz?

I hope you are enjoying living on the Gold Coast Millie. When can you apply for citizenship?

James yes it's strange that they ask for the extra info from kiwis who aren't prior to 2001. Did you add a note to explain why those documents weren't added? My hubby did. Have you heard back from them yet? We are still waiting to hear from them with the appointment. As I am regional they will need to send staff up, I think the staff would be quite keen as its a nice time of year up the top end.

Yeah I told DIBP I dont have the Centrelink Certificate and they said all good I dont need one. I still havent heard anything back yet from DIBP regarding my citizenship application, from the other people timelines, I dont expect anything for at 4-6 weeks. Anyhow, we will keep each other updated. Cheers.

Hi @leanie Yup, applied last week. I thought I was done with the dreaded Form 80 but citizenship application seemed just as tedious. It's all done so now the waiting begins. I am planning to bring forward my citizenship test when they give me a date.

Yes the online application was insanely tedious as I had 3 people on the same application. They could make it easier with auto fill. I'm glad you got your application in so now it's just a matter of waiting. I'll bring my test date forward if possible but that might not be possible.

Yeah I told DIBP I dont have the Centrelink Certificate and they said all good I dont need one. I still havent heard anything back yet from DIBP regarding my citizenship application, from the other people timelines, I dont expect anything for at 4-6 weeks. Anyhow, we will keep each other updated. Cheers.

Good to know the Centrelink certificate isn't needed. Thanks for letting me know the timeline helps me to know roughly when to expect a response. I wasn't sure which state to submit my application to as the online form said to select my closest which is actually Darwin, but I thought I should go with my state capital so went with Perth.

They sure do make things tricky for kiwis with pr don't they! Our daughter was born in Aus so we wanted to get her an Aus passport, the forms actually said that if the parent applying had NZ pr your child is not eligible. I think they may have changed it now.

• 4 months later...

Hi peeps, how's everyone going? It's been almost 5 years since people on this thread started with the big journey to down under. Time to take that next step and make it home on paper as well.

I am still based in Perth, recently finished with the citizenship exam and now waiting for a ceremony date.