Moving to Rockhampton

vixxy666

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Holly it looks like there'll be at least 6 of us turning up in April (except me boo hoo but wont be too long behind) so we'll have to have a get together. you've helped me with loads of questions and me generally being ridiculous so i definately owe you a few(hundred) drinks :)

Guest sadiesmum

Hi All

My and my partner and 3 year old daughter are also in the process of moving to Rockhampton. Fingers crossed the visa will be granted in the next 3 weeks.

Vixxy666 Are you taking your cat? We have a Lilac BSH very similar to the cat in your picture and Im torn as to whether to take him ?!

Hey sadiesmum good luck with the visa is a tense wait lol Yeah taking our boys but there going to wait here till we can send for then don't have the 4k to pay for them just yet. I'll be over June I can't wait gonna be the longest 12 weeks wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to Rockhampton with my girlfriend 2 weeks ago and we love the place. The people are very friendly around here which has made settling in easy. We moved for my job and my girlfriend found herself a job in childcare (which she did in the UK) within 2 days of getting here. She was tipped off about a job from the person we picked a hire car up from at the airport so that was a big help.

I work on Quay Street, I've got a nice view of the river beginning to overflow into the car park at the minute. They've been saying this one is just going to be a baby flood so it will be gone before long. There seems to be plenty of work around here. We are on a 457 visa so I had a job sorted out before we came.

Me and my girlfriend are up for going for a few drinks when a few people get over. There doesn't seem to be many bars around but we are going to test a few of them out this Saturday night!

Guest western

Hi My hubby has just been offered a job in Rockhampton, I have read all the replys and I am a bit worried about coming out with the 2 kids and living in Rocky. Although Mark84 has given me some positives. The company we have the job through recommended we live in Yeppoon, but having a quick look at the rentals in the area they seem quite old fashioned!! Also what are the schools like in Yeppoon anyone got any ideas?

i perfer to live in rocky and just go to yeppoon to hang out at the beach. rents more expensive and the roads between rocky and yeppoon get cut off when theres bush fires, flooding ect. rockys also bigger than yeppoon. i would recommend staying in rocky when you land to start off with and then spend a couple of weeks getting to know the area. to see what you prefer.

Guest sadiesmum
Hi My hubby has just been offered a job in Rockhampton, I have read all the replys and I am a bit worried about coming out with the 2 kids and living in Rocky. Although Mark84 has given me some positives. The company we have the job through recommended we live in Yeppoon, but having a quick look at the rentals in the area they seem quite old fashioned!! Also what are the schools like in Yeppoon anyone got any ideas?

Hi There

We are moving to Rocky in September, as we are buying a tennis business there. From what i can make out there is a lot for kids to do in terms of sport etc, the grammar schools there are also ranked very highly. We initially looked at living in Yeppoon and working in rocky but theres not a lot in Yeppoon, although it is a growing area from what I can make out. The areas in Rocky we have been recommended are Wandal, The Range and Norman Gardens. They all seems to to have lovely properties which arent in flood prone areas.

Hope this helps

theres 5 arriving next thursday my oh being one of them so im sure they'll be up for a few drinks after the hellish journey :) I cant wait to get there and see what its like only 11 weeks or so :(

Hi vixxy we are arriving to Rocky next Thur (12/4) too:biggrin:

We are flying on tue with Singapore 10p.m , might see your OH there :))

Decided to stay in Rocky for a while and take it from there

the 5 Brits are flying from Heathrow about the same time but a different airline but I'm sure we'll all bump into each other soon. You'll notice my oh he'll look like a tourist trying to get practical clothes n shoes didn't go well lol good luck :)

Hi all

What industry and jobs are you all in? I'm currently working in a power station as an engineer on the boiler and looking for work in Queensland, but have not yet considered Rockhampton. What kind of jobs are on offer and in which industry? I've heard that house prices and rent can be expensive in places like Mackay as they are boom mining towns, is it the same for Rockhampton? Is there plenty to do and is it a good place to bring my wife and children?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems like a decent place reading all of your comments.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Jockeylad the lads coming over (including my OH) are boilermaker/welder types well that industry anyway all working for the same company. im an analytical chemist so hoping to find work in gladstone. The rents seem much cheaper than Mackay from looking there initially. theres seems plenty to do on paper, rocky123 is already there so she can give you a bit more info. Hope this helps Vicky :)

Guest Lynch Mob

Hi everyone

my husband and I and our 7 month old baby arrived in Gladstone yesterday and will be staying here for 4 weeks and then heading to rockhampton after that. We're hoping to stay in yeppoon. I'm not working (yet- I am still on maternity leave ) but we would love to meet up with people if possible. Also, any tips and advice on anything would be appreciated.

hope you're all well, and maybe we could meet up sometime?

Hi my hubby been offered a job in rocky we were originally looking into MAckay but this job has come up and we not sure what to do, we are a family of 3 with a 5yr old boy and would like to know what your opinions are on rockhampton? also seem to be reading a lot about floods etc do they happen often here?