Combine shipping of car and personal belongings?

daveg1980

Hi,

I am looking to move to Sydney/Melbourne, and have started to look at shipping. I have started to price up the car to ship on Roll on Roll off container etc, I am just wondering is it more coest effective to ship with my personal belongings? We were looking to get a 20ft container, but if its cheaper to combine the two shipments we will look to do that?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi,

Iron chef answered this one on on another thread.

RORO to Australia is much cheaper than shipping a container, but getting everything into a 40ft can be cheaper than a 20ft/RORO combo. The only thing I'd say about keeping car and furniture on separate boats is that your furniture isn't stuck in a container in the UK if you have dramas getting the import approval for your car. - Iron Chef

From what I've read and been able to gather, upgrading from 20 to 40 and putting the car in isn't much different cost wise to doing the 20/RORO combo. For the few hundred quid either way which is negligable in the grand scheme of the visa and emigration, I'd take the route of personal preference over cost. Personally I prefer the 40 idea and having my car in a sealed environment from close of container door outside my house to open at Aus customs - if you're dead nosey like me you'll be checking straps and fasteners lol. I have heard stories of cars getting damage on RORO, have also heard of poor packing in containers resulting in things rubbing marks/scratches into the car. Difficult call.

P

Guest Shell15
Can anyone recommend me any car shipping companies?

So far I have only had a quote from autoshippers, at a cost of £1127 RORO

Cheers,

Dave

That is the cheapest we have had as well. We will probably go with a 40 foot container, seems about the same to be fair. Even without the car we will a 40foot so it makes sense.

Michelle

We booked all our stuff via the Iron Chef - paid him to broker the process so we didn't have to think about the individual bits and pieces.

I think our shipping was a bit less than that - but remember that they charge per unit volume of the car :)

Guest Shell15

Was he resonable in price? And was it just your car they shipped over - roro?? I have left a few messages, sent a few emails and asked a few questions on his thread as to whether he thinks our car is worth bringing over but no reply as yet...think he has gone awol!!

We've just had a survey visit, and were told we'd get the car, plus our household effects (700 cuft) into a 20ft! Seems a bit of a tight squeeze, but the surveyor was very professional and experienced, measuring everything by hand.. It's really odd because another company who came round quoted us for 1050cuft of household effects alone, which was a 20ft full to the brim.. How wrong can either of them be???

It's like a tin of sardines!! Perhaps the first company are better packers LOL.

Seriously, perhaps you should query the quotes with the two companies. They seem to be miles apart in their estimations. Either that, or get a third quote and see what they have to say. You think the visa application is a headache until you start on the removals and that paperwork.

Was he resonable in price? And was it just your car they shipped over - roro?? I have left a few messages, sent a few emails and asked a few questions on his thread as to whether he thinks our car is worth bringing over but no reply as yet...think he has gone awol!!

Kristian can be pretty busy at times, we found his service very reasonable - you still pay all the individual bills yourself so you know there's no margin for him on bits (hence why you pay the broking fee to begin with). The benefit is not having to find out the garage to use and sort out inspections etc - just leave it to him :) If we had our time over we'd have also sorted out the import permit ourselves - the only reason we paid him to do that was because we ran out of time and decided to bring the car at the last minute!

:)

Guest Shell15

Hi again and thanks again :biggrin: we need a 40 foot container regardless of whether we take the car or not we have found out which will cost us an extra £600 to take it within the container, so for us it is cheaper to keep it in with our household goods...apart from that we would have no hesitation in using him, he knows his stuff!!

Archived