Just decided to rehome my cats :(

vixxy666

Guest guest51333
Tell me about it, mind you he is a bit of a sun worshiper he loves laying around in the sun on his back all day, just like me! Here's my boy :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13634[/ATTACH]

He gorgeous sadiesmum x

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well after all my umming n ahhing I'm rehoming the boys the heats gonna be too much for them and between finding a rental, putting them through lots of upheaval and of course the money we think it's for the best they'll have a fab life someone will absolutely adore them like I do thanks for listening to me wittier on for weeks much appreciated xx

If its any consolation I rehomed 2 dogs, a cat, (a rabbit and 2 ducks) and I'm so glad I did now I'm out here! They are all in happy homes and have probably forgotten all about us! It would have been soooooo tough having them out here with rentals etc and although I hated every minute being in the house in the UK without them its much easier here not to have any ties.

Its tough but stay strong, its for the best (imho) xx

Guest SupportPants

Don't worry about feeling distraught. I left my two London cats with my parents. It's worked out well as they have fields to play in and are ridiculously spoilt but even if they found a home elsewhere I would have done it. Don't forget they are (just) cats - they like you because you are the gate keeper to food and comfort - someone else can be that easily enough once they adapt o the new territory. You are sad because you will miss them.. I think cats are more fickle. They don't pine for owners once they've got the next meal ticket trained !!! Chin up

• 1 month later...

Been looking through the forum for similar threads as I am going through a similar predicament. Two beautiful long hair cats, had one for four years and other for one year, both from shelters. Just decided about 6 months ago to try Oz and was convinced we'd be able to take them. Got offered a job a few weeks ago and the reality of what's involved in taking them with us has blindsided me. Eventually, my vet convinced me to reconsider taking them - made me realise what I knew all along, i.e. the stress of the journey (eldest cries and wees when we take him ten mins up the road to the vet), the heat, the poisonous wildlife and the fact that they'd have to be in quarantine for 4 months (late rabies jabs). Other posters are right saying that cats are different to dogs and will settle with whoever feeds em. It's only my emotional attachment to them that is causing me pain and anguish. I spent two days crying, but have come to terms with rehoming them. Only problem now is that I am really struggling to find a home for them. Everyone I know either lives in a flat or has cats already or babies, or just isn't up for it. Really don't want to put them back in a shelter :(

Has anyone got any suggestions or helpful advice as to going about finding a loving home for them?

Guest sadiesmum
Been looking through the forum for similar threads as I am going through a similar predicament. Two beautiful long hair cats, had one for four years and other for one year, both from shelters. Just decided about 6 months ago to try Oz and was convinced we'd be able to take them. Got offered a job a few weeks ago and the reality of what's involved in taking them with us has blindsided me. Eventually, my vet convinced me to reconsider taking them - made me realise what I knew all along, i.e. the stress of the journey (eldest cries and wees when we take him ten mins up the road to the vet), the heat, the poisonous wildlife and the fact that they'd have to be in quarantine for 4 months (late rabies jabs). Other posters are right saying that cats are different to dogs and will settle with whoever feeds em. It's only my emotional attachment to them that is causing me pain and anguish. I spent two days crying, but have come to terms with rehoming them. Only problem now is that I am really struggling to find a home for them. Everyone I know either lives in a flat or has cats already or babies, or just isn't up for it. Really don't want to put them back in a shelter :(

Has anyone got any suggestions or helpful advice as to going about finding a loving home for them?

Hi There

My advice would be look at Cats Protection League, my mum works with one closely in Essex and they treat their animals really well. They check the people that want to adopt cats thoroughly including a couple of home visits to check the environment, plus they have people visit the kennels regularly to pet and comfort the cats whilst they are waiting for a home.

I have been back and forward about taking my boy too and we have decided to take him, purely as I think he will help me settle (mind you we are still waiting for our visas so it could all be pie in the sky!).

Hope you get things sorted

We were going to take our cat with us but failed to do proper research and find out about the new rabies stuff. So we aksed Oh mum and dad to look after her while we wait the 6 months. They have offered to take her on full time and convinced us its for the best. She loves the outdoors and in Aust we wouldnt be letting her out due to wildlife etc. She will have a wonderful life with them they have a huge back garden with lots of sunny spots to lie in and a field behind that. Also they dont have a screaming baby around which she really doesnt like. He however loves her :( We are going to miss her like mad but we will see her on skype and she will be safe and happy with lots of love. Makes it easier

Thanks a lot, Sadiesmum. I'll get in touch with my local branch. We got our elder cat from the RSPCA and whilst he was well cared for there, it was run like a bit of a conveyor belt where cats were just sent out of the door as quickly as possible. Hopefully, the CPL would be more picky over who they rehome cats with to make sure they are responsible and suitable. Just had a look on my local branch's website and they already have two cats there that are looking to be rehomed due to their owners going to Oz - so sad and makes me feel so guilty about our two! :( It's a last resort option and hopefully we can find a home for them with someone we know...