TRA help

Guest sunderland

Guest sunderland

Hi wonder whether anyone can help, i'm now in the process of filling the forms out for my TRA but as i've been self employed electrician for the last 20 years i'm a little lost in knowing what they want as my day to day running is always varied. Would i maybe take a typical day like a fuseboard change and explain how this would be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pete[/b]

Guest Neil Palmer

Hello mate

I'm also a self employed spark and have got my TRA through - I'm classed as a 'general electrican' in there eyes, our visa was posted of 2 weeks ago now just waiting!

On my TRA application i put down all the day to day stuff you do like db changes (they call them switchboards so thats what i called them) also earth bonding, x bonding, conduit, trunking,swa,chasing walls, floorboard lifting all the usual stuff. Being selfemployed i had to get 3 wholesalers to write letters proving i use them plus customers! so good luck with that, also they need past employer references descibing the type of work you do. Its a long dull process but worth it in the end. The visa application is a walk in the park after doing the TRA bit. :D

Good luck mate, if you need any more advice get back in touch.

Neil

Guest lholmes
Hi wonder whether anyone can help, i'm now in the process of filling the forms out for my TRA but as i've been self employed electrician for the last 20 years i'm a little lost in knowing what they want as my day to day running is always varied. Would i maybe take a typical day like a fuseboard change and explain how this would be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pete[/b]

Hi Pete

Have you got an agent? Self Employment is tricky so if you do have one you should ask for further guidance on the format (Statutory Declaration), quantity and quality of the content. If you are going through the TRA as a General Electrician, try to avoid your supervisory, admin type tasks as this will take away from your skills as an on hand Electrician.

Remember also that the training years are the most important when obtaining a positive skills assessment from the TRA. It’s basically like explaining to an alien from outer space exactly what an Electrician is.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Archived