Parent Visas Under Labor

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

For those of you who are Parents hoping to join your children in Oz - or maybe you are the child in Oz - I'm wondering whether the defeat of the Howard Govt will make any difference to the agonising waits via making more visas available in each of the Parent categories.

In 1996, when Labor were last in power, some 8,0000 Parents were able to migrate to Australia that year.

Howard introduced the idea of a 2-tier system for Parents virtually as soon as he got in. The Oppoisitio kept chucking the Bills out so Howard retaliated by cutting the number of Parent visas available. In 1999, only 55 Parents were given visas.

That effectively forced the CP scheme onto the statute books and I'm sure that Labor won't repeal it, but I am wondering whether they might become more generous with the annual quotas.

I have no idea what the answer is. I'm curious to hear what others think, though.

Cheers

Gill

Guest austibeach

I'm glad you've raised the point Gill, it has crossed my mind on a few occasions. I have asked my sister in Australia to keep her ear to the ground, for any developments on the possibility of changes occurring, now that "Emperor" John has finally been overthrown.

I personally will welcome anything that improves the situation, with regard to the CP Visa.

Eric.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Eric

Publications — Australian Government Actuary

The above is the link to the website of the Australian Government Actuary. It will give you the original Report which Alan Collett told us about some time ago, plus show you the way the AGA calulates the increase in CP visa fees year on year.

I presume the AGA is a Civil Servant rather than some minor elected politician but presumably there is a Minister somewhere to whom the AGA reports.

It could be, I would guess, that the Actuary's Department would be part of the Treasury. If so, then you and I will be very interested in who the new Minister for Immi will be, who the new Treasurer will be and also who the new Minister for Health & Ageing (that is what the Department is called, anyway) will be, I suspect.

Seems to me that those 3 would have to conspire together if they want to propose an increase in the quotas, unless the impetus comes from Krudd himself, or from a fairly sizeable lobby of MPs.

I will be watching like a hawk and I expect you will be as well. I'll let you know if I learn any more and maybe you'll agree to do likewise?

This article by David Bitel, although now well past its sell-by, is also fascinating from the historical perspective, I reckon:

http://www.parishpatience.com.au/immigration/parent.pdf

Gloomy reading (spesh the AGA's output) but best to know, I reckon.

Cheers

Gill

Guest austibeach

I have just wasted a considerable amount of time replying to your post Gill, only to see it lost, because it said I didn't have authority to reply. Is there a problem with posting ?

Eric.

p.s. will reply in full later.

Guest Gollywobbler
I have just wasted a considerable amount of time replying to your post Gill, only to see it lost, because it said I didn't have authority to reply. Is there a problem with posting ?

Eric.

p.s. will reply in full later.

Hi Eric

Very odd. I've never heard of that happening before. I suspect a possible problem with the forum software - that is the only reason it would block you. The fact that it let you send the second message suggests that the software was having a Funny Five Minutes for some reason.

However, rather than risking wasting a load more of your time this evening, why don't you e-mail your reply direct to me (Ie not via the site) and I'll copy and paste it for you?

Tim (site admin) is away on business at the moment and he is the only person with access to site admin and who also knows how it works. He loves mending it, so we'll get him to check your access when he gets back.

Cheers

Gill

Guest BullcreekBob

... I'm sure that Labor won't repeal it, but I am wondering whether they might become more generous with the annual quotas.

I have no idea what the answer is. I'm curious to hear what others think, though.

G'day

The new immigration minister Chris Evans, born in Cuckfield on the Sussex Weald to Welsh parents.

A quick search through his parliamentry speeches has shed no light on his personal views on migrants and immigration but I suspect he have to be a far far better minister than Amanda Vanstone was.

Guest Gollywobbler
G'day

The new immigration minister Chris Evans, born in Cuckfield on the Sussex Weald to Welsh parents.

A quick search through his parliamentry speeches has shed no light on his personal views on migrants and immigration but I suspect he have to be a far far better minister than Amanda Vanstone was.

Hi Bob

Apparently he has no Immi background (apart from being a migrant himself.) I agree with you - he should be a better Minister than La Vanstone.

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again, Eric

I'm not sure whether Tim is back in Oz yet, but he was around a couple of hours ago (possibly via his laptop.) Anyhow, I told him about your problem on this thread the other day.

He says he has checked your account and can find nothing wrong, so he thinks it must just be "one of those things."

Best wishes

Gill

Archived