ack

Irish families moving from Dublin to MElbourne September-ish???

Hi huys,

We just got granted our 176 last week and now wonder is there any other families making the move from Dublin to Melbourne in Sept, oct 2012 etc.

We are thinking about getting a container and could share.

Be great also so share advice and make some friends.

Husband is primary applicant and is strategic planner, Im a teacher and we've little 5month old baby.

Cant wait to go but daunted by what we need to do!

VETASSES Applied May; granted Sept ** IELTS (L8.5 R9 W9 S9 (Band 9)** VIC SS Appd 18/11/11, granted 6/12/11 **176 lodged 22/1/12 **CO 31/1/12 **Meds refd 9/2 finalised 13/2** PCC 20/2 **GRANTED 28/02/2012 **Hubbie leaves July 1st, baby &me Aug 14th

Hi just wondering if there are any Irish families that have recently moved or in the process of moving to Melbourne. We are due to go in August and having many moments of doubt would love some feedback, Thanks

Hi Kismo,

Well we are here now 7 months. Both have jobs, place to live, baby in crèche etc. We like Australia but I am feeling homesick really badly. I didn't think that I would. Forme I REALLY miss having my family and my friends around me. Esp with our baby growing up its hard having no one around who takes an interest and Skype while great is no substitute.

Its tough making new friends...when I think back I made friends slowly over the years , 1 from here 1 from there and thenyou have few friends but when you drop yourself someplace completely new it takes a while to build up that circle again and for me Im finding it tough not having friends to say oh Ill meet youfor coffee or lets head out etc etc

Don't get me wrong we like Australia and if you asked me did I want to go home tomo Id say no but I don't want to stay forever. There was no work at home for my husband so that's why we moved.

I wish though I had asked the question more 'Do you see yourself staying in Australia for ever?" ,rather than do you like it there?!

Ive met a good few Irish here now and while they like it too a lot say they want to go home eventually.

I know its still VERY EARLY days for us and it was never going to be easy but its much harder than I thought. The visa and moving part is easy its the Saturday afternoon when no one calls over or that you have a phone yet it never rings that I find the hardest!

For us we have no jobs in Ireland to go back to and couldn't afford to now anyway. Also would I want to go back to our old house in Ireland either - no! Our lives here are good but its the absence of family and friends that's the killer for us.

You need to think LONG AND HARD about any move to the other side of the world and when you think you've made a decision think further. Itts a very long way away and that's something too I didn't realise until I made the journey :)

All the best with your decision its a seriously tough one.

I guess Life is about the journey and not the destination is now what Im trying to remind myself of!

VETASSES Applied May; granted Sept ** IELTS (L8.5 R9 W9 S9 (Band 9)** VIC SS Appd 18/11/11, granted 6/12/11 **176 lodged 22/1/12 **CO 31/1/12 **Meds refd 9/2 finalised 13/2** PCC 20/2 **GRANTED 28/02/2012 **Hubbie leaves July 1st, baby &me Aug 14th

Hi ack thanks so much for your response have to say the closer our date for moving comes the more difficult I am finding it, I have a permanent job with HSE but my husband is constantly on edge waiting for job to end, we have two children 10 and 15 one who wants to move and one who is heart broken at the prospect. We were in Melbourne to validate our visas in Feb this year and loved it and at that time could visualise myself there but now am not so sure. The cost of living and the cost of rent is astronomical and would mean I will have to work closer to full time hours. I know this sounds like I should stay here in Ireland but I have wanted to move to Oz for a very long time and think it would be a great experience. I know that we will need to make a final decision in the next few weeks but was anxious to hear of other peoples experiences. If you had a chance I would appreciate some advise in terms of the move and the initial few weeks. Also just curious to know what area of Melbourne you are in.

hi kismo.

I will send you a pm now shortly with some info x

Good Luck with the move. My husband , 6 year old daughter and I have been here since January this year. There is a large Irish Community in Melbourne. We came from County Down. I had lots of nervous moments before we arrived and a few since we got here ! We have settled into the Bayside Suburbs , which we love. My daughter has started Aspendale Primary School and doesnt want to go home (only for a holiday). She has joined Nippers which she loves.

If I can help with anything , let me know.

All the best

Diane :)

It does get better the longer we stay here, now we could not imagine living anywhere else. Family and friends change over time as well and their lives move on without us, so when we do visit they are happy to see us but only for a holiday and same for us

I think if people are very close with their family its a lot harder but then moving to the next town is hard for some people.

I was single when I came here and moved back to the UK on marriage, it was like starting all over again for me in UK, new family to meet, new friends to make, my own family who I had not seen for a long while. Still it all worked out and we knew it was not for ever. My oh never wanted to live in UK he wanted to emigrate. So we returned to Aus, and just like you are feeling now, I had got used to the UK and had to do the whole new thing again, of course I knew where to go and places and a few people I knew were around, however they had got on without me and I had to make new friends which I have over time. So its something that grows on us.

If people are going to return I think its good to do it quickly, as it gets harder every time we move one way or the other, tugs from both sides.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Hi Diane if you had time I would appreciate any info you could provide in terms of what to bring what is not necessary to bring, any issues with trying to find a rental property any anything else you think helpful, we have a 15 year old and 10 year old. I am a bit concerned in terms of employment opportunities my husband is a carpenter and I am a mental health nurse. Am trying to cover as much as possible before we purchase tickets this week .