Real Estate agents suck.....

Guest Stereotongue

Guest Stereotongue

Hi,

I have been in Sydney since Feb 2nd this year. Up until the 25th of Feb the company I am working for paid for my hotel stay in the CBD. Every weekend since I have been here I have been looking for a place to rent. It has been one of the most demoralising experiences in my life. The system here is appaling - it lags way behind the system in UK.

First thing you realise is that you get very very little for your money. My job pays $50,000 plus overtime per year so I cannot afford much. I am looking at places between 350 - 400 per week. Considering my house in the UK has a mortgage of £400 per month for a 3 bedroom with a large garage, paying $1600 a month here (£1088 approx) gets me the equivalent of just my garage.

Secondly, the 'open house' system is very poor. You get a 10 minute chance to view a place. Don't get me wrong, you don't need 10 minutes to look at a place, I usually know within 10 seconds if I like the place or not. It's just that getting to several places on a Saturday (which is when most viewing are) is very difficult.

eg, I find a few places I like the look of on the Domain website/app. First one is open at 9.00am - 9.10am. Second place is 9.15 to 9.25 but it takes 20 mins to get between them so you miss the second viewing. Each weekend I have had to miss at least 3 viewings due to this. To make things harder, several times the agent has turned up a few minutes late, which obviously has a knock on effect meaning that I have to abandon my plans to get to the next viewing.

The 'agents' that turn up are really just people with keys and application forms - no skills needed. When I have asked them questions before they open up the property, the reply is often "I'm not sure - I haven't seen the property myself yet". This is usually followed by fumbling as they try to find the entrance to the building. I travelled 20 mins to one place and when I got there the agent apologised because she was unable to get hold of the keys and that if I was still interested I could come back the following Saturday.

Another situation was where I paid $20 in a taxi to get to a place because the previous agent was late, and when the agent arrived he apologised to everyone waiting that he had just been informed that the property had already been leased. More time and money wasted.

Yesterday I waited outside a place with about 10 other people - and when the agent hadn't turned up after 10 minutes I decided to phone them - they told me that they had no idea about a viewing on the property and that the picture and address on the website were wrong. In the words of Peter Griffin "it really grinds my gears".

Everyone always mentions about the pictures on websites for the properties....it really is true. Don't believe them, what looks like a sparkling new kitchen often turns out to be a pic from 7 years ago. A lot of the pics don't show inside, just a shot of the building and a view from the balcony - there is a reason for this which becomes apparent when you enter. Some of the photos on the website look like they have been taken by a child - so bad it's laughable. It makes me wonder what estate agents actually do to earn their keep.

There are a lot of good things here however the real estate system is shockingly bad. I had read posts for months before I came warning about the system - but I never imagined it was this bad.

i am sure something will turn up eventually, but at this point it has me questioning my decision to come here.

Here's wishing y'all better luck than I am having.

Take care

Stereo

Sounds like a really bad experience and one that i'm sure will and has been echoed by other other members who are struggling to find a rental. I know that here in Perth, demand for rentals are quite high.

Would your employer assist you in continuing to provide accommodation for you (even if you contribute part of the cost), may be worth asking to give you some breathing space.

Good luck

Guest Stereotongue

I am already living in the 'lounge' of a work colleague. To add more stress to the pile, my wife will be joining me here on the 17th March and if that's not enough - she will be 5 months pregnant at that point......

woe is me

It is illegal for estate agents to misrepresent a property through having really old photos or saying things about it that aren't true. If it's happening a lot (or if you're feeling bloody minded about having your time wasted) photograph the offending item and take it up with the Fair Trading mob of your state. Section 51 of the property, Stock and Business Agents Act (in NSW, there will be a state equivelent elsewhere).

Estate agents are unlikely to have access to photos that are several years old. What they do is strip away all the personal belongings to leave things looking bare, give them a clean and they look newer. They may play tricks with wide angle lenses to make spaces look bigger but would defend that by saying it allowed the photo to show more detail. Another trick is taking a picture of the same room from two angles to make it look like two rooms. Anyway, that's why estate agents will tell you to view the property and won't let it to you unless you have seen it. The real way they mislead people is with the expected price, persuading you that there are other people who have bid more, and pretending that your bid is about to be rejected unless you pony up with a better offer.

I have to agree, here in Perth we have heard some expat's shocking experiences regarding rentals. The rental inspections here are a joke as my friend found out, they were told off for leaving bread crumbs on the kitchen work top mid inspection!!!

It is one of the negative aspects of life here in Australia I,m afraid along with boguns, hoons, excessive roadside litter(WA), expensive houses and crappy politicians!!

Guest Stereotongue
Sorry but i would be asking why you came to Sydney for 50k what is it your doing for work?

Well down here in the slums we are not all in the positions to have jobs earning $100k plus. I'm not one of those "i wouldn't get out of bed for less than..." people. There are actually people who earn a lot less than $50k in Sydney...imagine that ?

So your point is that instead of focusing on a terrible service provided by estate agents that I should try to find a job earning more money so I can pay even more for that same appalling service ? I think you are missing the point.

I am not interested in chasing huge pay packets, expensive cars or huge houses - these things don't bring me happiness, but I do expect a minimum level of living standards in what is a country that apparently has some of the best living standards in the world.

My work is involved with providing event services for corporate clients - sound, lighting and audio visual etc.

Guest Stereotongue
Sorry but i would be asking why you came to Sydney for 50k what is it your doing for work?

Well down here in the slums we are not all in the positions to have jobs earning $100k plus. I'm not one of those "i wouldn't get out of bed for less than..." people. There are actually people who earn a lot less than $50k in Sydney...imagine that ?

So your point is that instead of focusing on a terrible service provided by estate agents that I should try to find a job earning more money so I can pay even more for that same appalling service ? I think you are missing the point.

I am not interested in chasing huge pay packets, expensive cars or huge houses - these things don't bring me happiness, but I do expect a minimum level of living standards in what is a country that apparently has some of the best living standards in the world.

My work is involved with providing event services for corporate clients - sound, lighting and audio visual etc.

The real way they mislead people is with the expected price, persuading you that there are other people who have bid more, and pretending that your bid is about to be rejected unless you pony up with a better offer.

I've often wondered about just how competetive the rental market is and think that the easiest way for an agent to get a result is to say there are more looking at the same place you are. They've no incentive to say"actually, you are the only one whose interested in this one". Therefore, just how much of the rental boom is actually just being talked up - I guess there's no way of knowing.

Good luck stereotongue on your search, don't give up, a suitable place is just around the corner. I really feel for you and your wife and hope you get sorted soon.

Guest Stereotongue

Thanks Supa for your kind words.

Actually, last week I applied for a place out of desperation and got accepted. However I didn't really want the place. When the agent phoned me to tell me my application was accepted, I said I wasn't really sure about it and could I possibly take another quick look at the property..... Her response was "no, we need an answer as there are 4 others waiting in line to take it". I told her I would call her back in half hour with a decision... I decided I didn't want it and informed her. Funny thing is that the exact same property was again having an open house yesterday.... What happened to the other 4 people waiting in line? Was this just pressure tactics from the agent?

Again - terribly amateur behaviour from an estate agent.

But you have moved from Wales to one of the most expensive Cities in the world, did you not think that the cost of living would be higher and negotiate a better deal.

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi Mate

Have you considered moving out of the city to one of the leafy less expensive suburbs? When we we over we found the rentals get cheaper as you get out of the city, you can get a decent sized 2 bed apartment in the northern suburbs for around 300 - 350 per week. And dependandant on which suburb you chose the transport links in to the city seemed to be really good, and really reasonably priced. Obviously adds on a commute to your day but in my opininion well worth it.

Hope this is of some benefit

Neil

Keep an eye out for evening viewings, they tend to have less people turning up. I'm not sure where you are looking but you are earning a below average salary for Sydney (average is closer to $70k) so you'll probably have more competition for rentals, maybe its worth looking a suburb or 2 further out.

Oh I sooooo agree with you!! real estate agents make my blood boil. We rent a house for $650 a week in a ok suburb but nothing flash, the house had been painted and renovated and we were really happy with it. Within a month paint fell off the walls in the kitchen and stinky rising damp appeared all over the walls and it is foul. The once nice agent is now trying to blame us. I have rented in sydney for 10 years every time I have felt like a second class citizen the way they treat you .

we always get the places we apply for because we bring all photo copies and a downloaded application from the website and offer more info than needed including references, we also offer $10 a week more..... it sucks but hey!!

Im a bit of a " customer service police", and I really feel that they need to remember that we are the other half of the rental deal not some bit of dirt .

PHEW!!! GOT THAT OUT. I feel for you i really do and by the way $50,000 is a decent wage , people earn a whole lot less and really I know this is a major world city but it is over priced and you don't get much for your hard earned money unfortunately.

Hope you can find a place your happy with.

​Much the same here on the Gold Coast in Qld.I must of looked at over 60 houses on the internet and viewed about 30 ,only 2 came close , the first one i put an application on i did not hear a word from the agents for over a week, it is supposed to take 48hrs tops to get a decision, if you ask me some can not even be bothered with a curtsy call to say they have received your application.Well ive learnt the hard way, See a house i like make an ONLINE application so at least it is in first, go look at the house , decide there and then if it is for you , if no ring the agent and tell them your with drawing the application.

Ive just been through it all , been looking ever since my owners decided to sell , thank fully now we are on the move to a much nicer property than our last home .THE SECRET IS ............................................ALWAYS BE ONE STEP AHEAD OF THE REAL ESTATE.just my own experiance good luck

Guest Stereotongue

Just to show how 'on-the-ball' the estate agent is, I received a text from them a few hours ago saying that my rent was due on the 2nd of March and that I need to pay immediately.

This is the rent for the place I turned down over a week ago !

You really couldn't make this stuff up.....

Thanks for the advice and sympathy guys - it is appreciated.

cheers

I've often wondered about just how competetive the rental market is and think that the easiest way for an agent to get a result is to say there are more looking at the same place you are. They've no incentive to say"actually, you are the only one whose interested in this one". Therefore, just how much of the rental boom is actually just being talked up - I guess there's no way of knowing.

You'll never know, but there are clues. When I was looking, I got the first place I bid for. The agent told me I ought to increase my bid to increase my chances since I was looking for a 6 month lease. I replied that I already had. She said fair enough - the place was mine. Naughty.

I then had follow up calls from two other agents about places I had been interested in, encouraging me to make offers.

Then, when I left my rental property the owner tried to sell - failed - and then had a fair wait before getting a tenant.

This suggests to me that it is not as competitive as agents make out - and that if you are offered one place you are likely to be offered more. Conversely, I guess if you start getting knocked seveeral times it suggests that the problem may be with you (lack of income security, perhaps) rather than being outbid by brilliant other people. But that's just speculation.

I think it is hard although must admit the second one I applied for I got. I looked at lots of houses here in Perth and because u needed a doggie rental most were nasty! On my second application I grovelled telling them I would take of the house etc etc plus I had letters from bank, our uk agency who is renting out our house for us and mortgage statements , I it this house within 2 days. Try grovelling it helps!!!!!

I think it is hard although must admit the second one I applied for I got. I looked at lots of houses here in Perth and because u needed a doggie rental most were nasty! On my second application I grovelled telling them I would take of the house etc etc plus I had letters from bank, our uk agency who is renting out our house for us and mortgage statements , I it this house within 2 days. Try grovelling it helps!!!!! Meant to say every house I looked at had atleast 10 other people there too!!!!

We went through something similar in 1996. Not much has changed. If it is of any use, we stuck in there - its just an unfortunate game you have to play - and got somewhere nice in a suburb a bit further out.

Hi,

I have been in Sydney since Feb 2nd this year. Up until the 25th of Feb the company I am working for paid for my hotel stay in the CBD. Every weekend since I have been here I have been looking for a place to rent. It has been one of the most demoralising experiences in my life. The system here is appaling - it lags way behind the system in UK.

First thing you realise is that you get very very little for your money. My job pays $50,000 plus overtime per year so I cannot afford much. I am looking at places between 350 - 400 per week. Considering my house in the UK has a mortgage of £400 per month for a 3 bedroom with a large garage, paying $1600 a month here (£1088 approx) gets me the equivalent of just my garage.

Secondly, the 'open house' system is very poor. You get a 10 minute chance to view a place. Don't get me wrong, you don't need 10 minutes to look at a place, I usually know within 10 seconds if I like the place or not. It's just that getting to several places on a Saturday (which is when most viewing are) is very difficult.

eg, I find a few places I like the look of on the Domain website/app. First one is open at 9.00am - 9.10am. Second place is 9.15 to 9.25 but it takes 20 mins to get between them so you miss the second viewing. Each weekend I have had to miss at least 3 viewings due to this. To make things harder, several times the agent has turned up a few minutes late, which obviously has a knock on effect meaning that I have to abandon my plans to get to the next viewing.

The 'agents' that turn up are really just people with keys and application forms - no skills needed. When I have asked them questions before they open up the property, the reply is often "I'm not sure - I haven't seen the property myself yet". This is usually followed by fumbling as they try to find the entrance to the building. I travelled 20 mins to one place and when I got there the agent apologised because she was unable to get hold of the keys and that if I was still interested I could come back the following Saturday.

Another situation was where I paid $20 in a taxi to get to a place because the previous agent was late, and when the agent arrived he apologised to everyone waiting that he had just been informed that the property had already been leased. More time and money wasted.

Yesterday I waited outside a place with about 10 other people - and when the agent hadn't turned up after 10 minutes I decided to phone them - they told me that they had no idea about a viewing on the property and that the picture and address on the website were wrong. In the words of Peter Griffin "it really grinds my gears".

Everyone always mentions about the pictures on websites for the properties....it really is true. Don't believe them, what looks like a sparkling new kitchen often turns out to be a pic from 7 years ago. A lot of the pics don't show inside, just a shot of the building and a view from the balcony - there is a reason for this which becomes apparent when you enter. Some of the photos on the website look like they have been taken by a child - so bad it's laughable. It makes me wonder what estate agents actually do to earn their keep.

There are a lot of good things here however the real estate system is shockingly bad. I had read posts for months before I came warning about the system - but I never imagined it was this bad.

i am sure something will turn up eventually, but at this point it has me questioning my decision to come here.

Here's wishing y'all better luck than I am having.

Take care

Stereo

Guest Stereotongue

Ok, so here is todays performance.... I managed to change my shift in work. I was supposed to do a 9-5 day today, but because there were 2 viewings in the middle of the day, I got my shift switched to 2 seperate sections an early few hours (I had to get up at 4am) and a later section from 5pm until 9pm leaving me free from 10am until 5pm. I checked on the website this morning to make sure of the times - all ok. However after travelling on a train for one and a half hours, I open up the site to get the exact address for google maps and guess what..... "OPEN HOUSE CANCELLED". Am I just being very unlucky with all this or is this the norm? Getting up at an ungodly hour.....travelling a long way.....all to be messed around again.

the second viewing was at 3pm. The agent turned up at 3.30 - the only positive from this was that a lot of other viewers gave up and left. Maybe I'll get this one huh ?

Stereo

Guest pipey

ditch rentals through an agent.

they suck and will suck you dry.

always rent privately if possible.

you will most times never see a penny of your bond back in Australia so look at it as lost money

buy a flat, or a caravan, or stay in holiday lets, there are seriously cheap options if you need to save.

dont play the game.

also , all the immigrants who come over and offer more money to secure a rental are jerks. this is what screws up the rental market and inflates rentals. totally uncool