Who To Fly with to Australia one way!

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hi we are trying to book our one way flights to Perth!

Is there any airlines that do any deals for people moving to Australia?

Or have you booked your flights and got a great deal you would like to share?

Thanks

Spencer

We have started using emirates as we get Sky miles and it's free to sign up. We are also looking at getting a credit card from NAB when we get to Melbourne to collect air miles. Hope that helps.

Emirates do lots of offers if you are not restricted by school,holidays. We found the flights by using Expedia. The handy thing about emirates was that you can stop off on route without having to pay extra unless you pick some funky place to stop.

We are planning on checking out Singapore on our next trip for a few days.

Depends which route you'd prefer and also if you have a permanent unvalidated visa.

If you've a permanent unvalidated visa you can fly Singapore Airlines and get a 40kg baggage allowance. Qantas offer an excess also for this visa type iirc but you'll have to call them or read their website for more info.

BA have a cheaper excess baggage per kilo but other carriers don't have to honour this and BA don't fly to Perth anymore iirc. Only Sydney. So you'd get a codeshare between BA and Qantas most likely there.

If you book Qantas they also codeshare with BA so check if booking a flight with them the flight numbers start with QF not BA if using the migrant baggage allowance.

Emirates have a higher basic baggage allowance iirc, 30kg (QF and BA run at 23kg basic iirc). Singapore 20kg. But you can check airline websites to confirm this.

As for getting a good deal, depends when you book and when you want to fly usually. Some agents get cheaper fares but this may be with airlines that don't offer excess baggage. Some of the airlines listed above do good deals.

Personally I'd go Singapore. But BA and Qantas are fine also for a one way flight. I've never really had a bad experience with them apart from once but it wasn't enough to stop me flying with them to Aus if need be.

I'm a fan of Singapore or Emirates - I love Emirates because I could fly to Melbourne from Gatwick and didn't have to suffer the pain of Heathrow :)

I'm not a fan of Cathay Pacific, but I have a friend who loves them!

n.b. Even if you've not got an unvalidated PR visa, it's worth asking the airline if they'll give you extra baggage allowance - I got extra with Singapore! (I was really grumpy that just cos I'm an Aussie I didn't get access to the same advantage as my husband the pom did!)

I went (two years ago) with Air New Zealand via LA and Auckland. They offered reasonable one way fares and they had a much more generous baggage allowance via LA than other carriers had via SE Asia. I booked in 24 hours in LA to held alleviate jetlag en route - which was s real bonus. It meant I arrived in Melbourne feeling pretty fresh.

Guest dmcevilly

I went through flightcentre and they have specified carriers such as Emirates and Qantas who are "Gold" standard as they book so many flights with them. So they can haggle an allowance for you free of charge. As long as you have an unstamped permanent visa when flying out. For the same price flight as Emirates direct I got 60kg of luggage allowance plus 15kg as hand luggage!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wadeandlou

WeegieDave,

Can you let me know what I have to do to qualify for the extra allowance - do you get a code or something when you open the account?

Regards,

Wade

WeegieDave,

Can you let me know what I have to do to qualify for the extra allowance - do you get a code or something when you open the account?

Regards,

Wade

Wade,

Open your account with ANZ Bank.. You can do this online from their website. Once you have done this there is a person you phone who will then email you a link to the webpage where you book your flights. There is the promotional code at the bottom of this webpage that you must use when booking your flights. It will also give you instructions on further steps to take.

Check out this link for the info

http://www.anz.com/unitedkingdom/en/personal/moving-australia/relocation-services/

Cheers

Dave

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I am sure there is a thread running currently about how unhelpful Emirates are when it come to extra luggage, so i would advise against using them. We used Singapore airlines twice and they were great.

I have an invalidated 176 permanent resident state sponsored visa but qantas are saying they don't do migrant fares for this visa?? They do for the 175 though. All of the partner websites (Anglo Pacific and commonwealth Bank of Australia) say 176 is included in these qantas fares. I don't want to book and turn up at the check in having to pay more. Has anyone been with qantas on a migrant fare with a 176 without any trouble?

I have an invalidated 176 permanent resident state sponsored visa but qantas are saying they don't do migrant fares for this visa?? They do for the 175 though. All of the partner websites (Anglo Pacific and commonwealth Bank of Australia) say 176 is included in these qantas fares. I don't want to book and turn up at the check in having to pay more. Has anyone been with qantas on a migrant fare with a 176 without any trouble?

If they are not playing ball now I'd not risk turning up on the day with a huge excess as they really do charge a fortune for it.

Can you not air freight out an extra bag? It'd get there a few days after you and you should be fine.