Visa options and are the rumours about mining true? :)

Guest DancingDawn

Guest DancingDawn

Hi all, new to this site though have been reading posts all day!

My boyfriend and I are thinking of going to WA for a few years, as we have heard there are great opportunities if you are willing to work hard/in a mine, and we could both do with a change.

Any help on the following would be much appreciated as we are only just starting to do our research - a lot to learn!!

1) Realistically, can unskilled/inexperienced people get a good mining job? We have heard so, but are not convinced! My partner is 27 and physically fit, but no experience.

2) What visa options are there for us? We are both mid twenties, but neither of us do a job on the In Demand list. He has a degree in Business Management and I am a PR/Communications Officer for a local authority, but have no degree. We know we could probably get a working holiday visa, but this means we could only work for an employer for up to 6 months max and I assume this would hugely limit our opportunities to get good, settled jobs. Perhaps I could apply as an Office Manager, but although I manage my department, I don't manage any staff!

HELP - not sure if we are being very unrealistic to think we could get out there for 2 years and be able to work hard, play hard and maybe save some money!

thanks x

3)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Dawn welcome to the forum. Getting a mining job isn't as easy as people make out and if your OH has no qualifications you may struggle. There are a few members on here who can advise you more on the mining side so hope they know something I don't.