Renting in Perth

Guest Brendan82

Could be lucky to get much near the CBD for $500. Perhaps a townhouse in Leederville? They were going for about that eighteen months ago...rents are pretty amazing out here. I would say $600 to $700 will get you something decent but the competition is fierce.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but second hand cars are very expensive. Unless you want to risk something from a departing backpacker for a few thousand to tie you over?

Living closer to the city or at least a train line may allow you to defer buying a car for awhile.We did that and got around quite okay.

If thats how it is, nothing I can do about it - just have to roll with the punches..

And speaking of backpackers, in a bid to save more money towards the rental me and OH are considering holding up in a hostel instead of a full furnished holiday home/hotel whilst we look for a place to live. The idea of staying in one has always made my skin crawl but turns out that they're not too bad...seen some pretty good reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend (both 29) have got our permanent visa so will be heading to Perth soon (hopefully in the next 6-12 months).

We just want some advice on the suburbs around perth and where would be good for us to live. My girlfriend will be working in the CBD so she has to be able to get in and out of there fairly handy. im a bricklayer so i dont mind where i am as i will probably have to travel no matter where i am.

We are looking for an apartment/house, in a good suburb which has a bit of life to it (a few bars, places to eat, etc.) but which is also not a million miles from the beach.

We have tried to look online, but you just can't tell what its really like, so we would love to hear from people who live there who can tell us the truth!

Hope you's can help us out thanks a million

Brendan.

Hi Brenda,

We arrived in Perth in January and had arranged for a temporary accommodation in Secret Harbour for a month. We spent about three weeks looking for a rental but with no success. We were even offering to pay as much as $20 over the asking rental but the competition was just too tough. Somebody then told us to look in The West Australian newspaper weekend issue as private Landlords advertise there. We did and bingo we got our first rental. There was no competition and we were the only one that came to view. We had plenty of time to view and had a good conversation with the landlord. The following day we signed the contract and the house is ours. It is a new house in a really nice suburb called Piara Waters (SOR) close to Canning Vale. We didn't even have to pay a cent over the asking rental so I will advise you to get the newspaper as soon as you get here and look through the real estate section. It always have private adverts by landlords for rentals.

Good Luck.

t4top

Edited by t4top

Hi, we were in a similar situation to yourselves, my recommendation is mount lawley. We wouldn't live anywhere else now (except maybe Fremantle) we pay $470 per week for a 3 bed in central location no frills but nice clean spacious house. We go to floreat beach regularly and enjoy a great lifestyle, beats London hands down! Super close to cbd and walk to great restaurants, bars and parks. If you want more info let me know, if walking to the beach is most important take note of previous posts. Good luck!