Just a note to all that you can now do the white card in the UK.

I am a joiner and site manager on commercial sites in the UK and after researching the Australian H&S card that is required, was relieved to find that a company called trainingstars has just started doing the course in the UK.

I am writing this because I found the course very informative in teaching me the Oz terminology for many things that I know about but wouldn't have recognised because of the change in names.

I also found the instructor very helpful and its a great relief to know its one less thing to have to sort when I get there.

I defiantly recommend this course to anyone who may require a white card when you get to Australia.:smile:

Just one note of caution, white cards are state specific and the different states have slightly different rules about where you can and can't take the test. Mine is issued by WorkCover New South Wales and I am *pretty* sure they don't allow remote testing, there was a lot of ID proof to take when I sat the course

It's an easy peasy thing, just a tick in the box really. Most of the other people in the room will be backpackers trying to get jobs on Stop/Go boards and who have never worked in the industry before, for anyone who has it's dead simple

Hi pintpot

I have been told white cards are universal as long as it is done face to face, this is in a classroom and is a lecture followed by some questions(all be it they are easy) I was informed the problematic ones are the ones done on line as some employers feel as no one can tell who has sat the course it doesn't adequately cover their backs.

Hi Meaks

that's going to be very useful. One thing, can you check your card and see if it has an RTO number on it? I ask simply because under the Workplace H&S Regs the trainer has to be nationally accredited and display the accreditiation number. their website has the logo, but I couldn't see evidence that they are nationally accredited which invalidates anything they issue here (normally they'll have a line saying "we are an RTO number 31225" or something on the website, but it's not universal. The card will have a 5 or 6 figure number on it).

If they've got one it all good and will take a lot of stress from guys in construction.

Guest sidster

White cards are not universal don't do it in the UK ,as pintpot says they are state specific and ih ave seen guys get turned away from sites in NSW with queensland white cards.There was a guy at a site induction last week who had done an online white card for queensland thinking that it would be acceptable in NSW and was turned away wasted his money trying to shortcut what is a 6 hr course to get a white card

Guest dolphinboy

I have also been in contact with a company called tradies downunder, but they also dont seem to have an RTO number, and reading their website it doesn't say they will get you a white card just the suggestion that they will. I'm all up for preparing yourself for the change but electritioan or plumber is £3000! I dunno how much you paid meaks but I hope it wasn't as much as that, I think thats alot of dosh just for teaching you different terminology.

Guest dolphinboy
No don't worry dolphin boy the course cost £70 and one stop on the train, if I get a few uses out of it until I settle and get to put it on my C.V it was worth it.

Cool £70 is more like it !

Just one note of caution, white cards are state specific and the different states have slightly different rules about where you can and can't take the test. Mine is issued by WorkCover New South Wales and I am *pretty* sure they don't allow remote testing, there was a lot of ID proof to take when I sat the course

It's an easy peasy thing, just a tick in the box really. Most of the other people in the room will be backpackers trying to get jobs on Stop/Go boards and who have never worked in the industry before, for anyone who has it's dead simple

Thanks for this spoke to an aussie yesterday at an expo and he is a tiling contractor from perth, says you pick one up when you get there couldnt be easier said you could do the test asleep!! so yes one less thing to worry about.

• 2 months later...

There seems to be some confusion on this thread so i will try and help out -

WHITE cards are STATE recognised across Australia, they recently replaced the BLUE card that was specific state related. So if you have a Health & Safety WHITE card ,obtainable easily on line via Bull dog Training you can use it throughout Australia. There are other companys who offer it but Bluedog seem to be 'the big boys'..lol..

Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest Shell15

calNgary can we apply for the white card here in the UK? and is it needed to work on sites - my oh is a tiler? thank you