HGV Drivers

Guest roan

Hi there we are some more new ones! I found the site a little while ago and i think it is really good.

Anyway other half is a class 1 HGV driver, has held his licence for 6/7 years now, is there anyway we can get into Australia? We are going on holiday in a couple of months to stay with a friend in Aus and he says that they are crying out for them!

Many thanks

:yes:

Hi Roan and welcome to PIO :wubclub:

While we have been researching to go to Australia (not with this skill) this is one subject that causes the most anxiety among people with particular skills and no viable entry route in.

It seems that nowhere does it appear on any wanted lists despite attempts to try and get it on by various people, unfortunately, despite the fact the are desperate for drivers.

Not sure how old you are but if under 30, and obviously if its viable, you could try for a working holiday visa and apply out there if you can secure a sponsorship.

I'm sure someone will come along with some ideas.

Kaye

Thank you so much for your reply's! We are in our 30's with a little girl, so are unable to do the working holiday visa.

Cal I will pm you as it will be worth getting in touch with the guy you know.

My next job is to look at extraman.com. So once again thank you very much.

Hi there we are some more new ones! I found the site a little while ago and i think it is really good.

Anyway other half is a class 1 HGV driver, has held his licence for 6/7 years now, is there anyway we can get into Australia? We are going on holiday in a couple of months to stay with a friend in Aus and he says that they are crying out for them!

Many thanks

Yes there is a shortage of HGV drivers but ... it isn't on the skills list at the moment and we've not heard of sponsorship for HGV drivers.

OH was a class 1 HGV driver in the UK - didn't mean anything over here. He had to re-do training and a test to get his Heavy Combination licence. The only licence better than that is the Multi-Combination and most training companies don't let you go straight onto this one. Michael now needs to hold his HC for 2 years.

Once the training is done and the licence is acquired there is plenty of work, not all of it is good money though.

About 90% of the HGVs over here are bullnose Kenworths. OH says it was completely different doing the training here, he has to double de-clutch and the driving position is really different as well. (He says something about them being 18 speed road ranger gear boxes - that really means nothing to me!).

If you need any more details just pm and my OH might be able to help!

Felicity:cute:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Roan

I don't think it is impossible for HGV drivers to get sponsorship on a 457 visa to begin with or possibly even an RSMS visa.

I've certainly seen posts from people saying that this is how they got into Oz. However, I don't think it is easy to et the sponsorship until you've done the re-traiing needed for HGV driving in Oz.

I've no idea how long the traning course lasts or what is involved -- driving a VW Golf is the limit for me! However, I do know that Felicity and her OH have only been in Oz for about 3 months, so presumably it is a reasonably quick course.

Would you be prepared to gamble on going to Oz on a tourist visa, doing the training and getting the Australian licence whilst looking for a sponsor?

I think the training/licencing bit might vary from State to state, but I am not sure about that.

Cheers

Gill

I've no idea how long the traning course lasts or what is involved -- driving a VW Golf is the limit for me! However, I do know that Felicity and her OH have only been in Oz for about 3 months, so presumably it is a reasonably quick course.

Would you be prepared to gamble on going to Oz on a tourist visa, doing the training and getting the Australian licence whilst looking for a sponsor?

I think the training/licencing bit might vary from State to state, but I am not sure about that.

Cheers

Gill

Hiya,

We had been in Oz a couple of weeks and Michael had his training booked already. He had a couple of hours taster to see how long he would need for his training. He did 3 four hour sessions in the week and took his theory and practical test that week as well. This is in Victoria with TDT. It cost about $1000 but we think it's worth it. Although he's nearly finished his training as a postie and will be working in this job for now, he could always transfer within Australia post and become a truck driver for them!

Felicity:wubclub:

Thanks very much for your ideas!

My little brain is now thinking (we are going on holiday to Australia for 3 weeks, could he do the re-training while there?) This will give me something to look into tonight.

Thanks again.

Romy:notworthy:

Guest TheArmChairDetective

It was possible to get over as an HGV driver.

Last year they were crying out for them, I think it was in SA.

Anyway, If I remember the right chap his name was Frazer WATT and he worked for ghd.com

He is a member of this site but when I searched for him back in October as I had pm's him he had not visited since june.

I dont want to get your hopes up too much but with a bit of research you will find out if the labour agreement on HGV still exists.

Does anyone else remember Frazer or whats happened to him please?

Guest Gollywobbler
It was possible to get over as an HGV driver.

Last year they were crying out for them, I think it was in SA.

Anyway, If I remember the right chap his name was Frazer WATT and he worked for ghd.com

He is a member of this site but when I searched for him back in October as I had pm's him he had not visited since june.

I dont want to get your hopes up too much but with a bit of research you will find out if the labour agreement on HGV still exists.

Does anyone else remember Frazer or whats happened to him please?

Hi TACD

Good idea. I forgot all about Labour Agreements because they seem to be pretty rare but apparently they are the New Way Forward after the changes to the system on 1/09/O7.

You might be onto a winner for Roan. Have you tried speling Frazer with an "s"? I can't for the life of me remember the guy's name and I seem to think that the search should be widenced to British Expats and the Thinking Australia forum as well?

They are definitely screaming for HGV drivers. You are quite right about that. Seemingly they are in great demand in the mines (or to and from them) and I also found a company that was crying out for drivers to deliver wine from the Barossa Valley to other areas.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi TACD

Here are all teh threads started by Fraser

Poms In Oz - Search Results

He himself seems to be Manager of the water engineering division (whatever that is) of GHD.

If they were (say) building a road or a bridge, would they use HGVs or similar to take the materials to the site? Vehicles that one would need an HGV licence for, anyway?

If they do, would you think that this firm uses subcontractors to do the actual work?

I've no idea how Civil Enginers oganise things.

Might be worth asking Fraser, though.

Good Thinking, that man.

Cheers

Gill

Archived