Cost of Living - Sticky?

Guest Impatient

Guest asylon

I wasn't skint in the UK, not at all.

But I didn't have a huge house with pool and a dirty great Hilux.

Swings and roundabouts!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest YellowGecko
Our Quarterly electric bill was $275. Seems a lot more than everyone else is paying and we hardly have air con on ever.

We just had our lecky bill in, last week or so and it was the same as yours. But we live in a small house and have used the A/C throughout summer.. hubby reckons the bill's about right.

But how did you survive through summer without the A/C on????

I found haircuts to be so much cheaper in Oz. I only pay $25, but I don't get it washed or blown dry, admittedly. But I don't mind that. I do that myself, when I get home. lol

Guest asylon

Only ever wear underwear in the house and sleep between 12 and 3, under a fan.

It's all that bread making that's bumped it up I reckon.

• 2 months later...
Guest ellie2
I just paid $170 for my hair cut and coloured - a really important expense to know about for all the ladies lol

Yea thats what I have to pay, I cannot wait till my eldest daughter gets here in January and i get it done for free.

She shouldnt have any problems getting a job either as they seem to be very short of good hairdressers.

Christine

• 5 weeks later...
Guest g&m/orritts

very helpfull now i can buget for rent on what i can afford! my head slowing down from the fast spin being in last few days!! finding my way round poi slowly but surely! moving some where in perth area end of august. thanks again x

• 1 month later...

I have noticed that the cost of living does seem higher in some areas, but does seem cheaper in others.

What are the wages like, are you on more money than you were in England doing the same job?? We have been told that my husband (an engineer) is likely to get up to 3 times his current wage when working in oz, so we are trying to work out the amount his wage would be in oz and then with the cost of living, but just wanted to know if the wages are higher paid than UK or not????

Guest moonraker1961

$200 odd for a colour and cut?I had dreadlocks up till about 6 mths ago,had them cut out as I felt like a change but I think I will re do them if we decide to move back to Oz lol

Guest Rickard Family

Hi All

these prices that were put in the 1st post, do they still seem reasonable or have they gone up much.......it's just thanks to the great credit crunch and fall in the housing market we need to know what we are saving for!

thanks in advance

Lou x:cute:

• 4 months later...
I have noticed that the cost of living does seem higher in some areas, but does seem cheaper in others.

What are the wages like, are you on more money than you were in England doing the same job?? We have been told that my husband (an engineer) is likely to get up to 3 times his current wage when working in oz, so we are trying to work out the amount his wage would be in oz and then with the cost of living, but just wanted to know if the wages are higher paid than UK or not????

Hi - in our experience we've found that there isn't much difference in wages (OH-Engineer/me-Accounts) to the UK but the cost of living is a bit higher - not too much though. Rents are a bit higher - but you get a bigger house - & processed foods seem more expensive (bread at $4 a loaf!) but it's counterbalanced by meat that's so much cheaper than the UK & fruit/veg seems cheaper - and hasn't travelled as many miles!

• 1 month later...
Guest paradisi

and then you can think about growing stuff - - we save $5-6 thousand a year from about 280 square metres

we grow pinapples, passionfruit, banana, carambola, soursop, lychee, longans, 6-8 typeso f citrus, nectarines, grapes, and a dozen or more tropicals - as well as chooks and ducks

this is on the sunshine coast in queensland

most landlords are pretty good so long as you ask first and if you buy - no hassles at all

so the potential for savings with year round food (you'll never feed your family totally - but little bits help) can add up

meat is cehap - - our butcher sells us a 6-8kg rump - cut into steaks - fro about $40 and that feeds the two of us meat for a fortnight

• 8 months later...
Guest Betty Marie

:biggrin:I notice the first post is from 2007 - has anybody got any more up to date figures on the general cost of living, power costs etc?

Many thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest Fat Budda

Hi I i have found these few sites for a little more info..

Petrol , Groceries, House's, Electrical Goods The Cost of Living in Australia: Groceries

Food, Renting, Important extras Costs in Australia

General Standard of Living In Oz Cost of living in Australia.

Groceries comparison site Oz Grocery Prices Supermarket Comparison Australia

What is the average cost of running ac window air conditioner per day?

$6.95/day Taken from GoFTP :: Home :: Fast, Free FTP Client

Hope you find these useful.

Guest The Pom Queen

Food Shopping Receipt

Ok, some of you may find this boring, but I thought I would list the prices on my latest shopping receipt (it is not my full shop as I do that monthly so probably won't include lots of meat and veg) so that you have some idea of food costs, obviously, with everything there are probably cheaper and more expensive options, but it should give you a guide:

6 Pack carton drinks - $2.99

Crumpets 300grams $1.25

Coles Brand Ice Lollies $2.99

Carton Longlife Skim Milk $1.09

Nescafe Blend 150gram - $6.50

4pack Cornettos - $5

Pork Sausages 560 gram $4.79

Lamb Chops - $12.42

Coles Burgers 500 grams - $5.00

Rolls 6 pack - $1.99

Coles Bread 650 gram - $1.09

Cucumber $1.79

Bag of Salad $2.87

Cherry Toms 250gram $1.95

Cooked Chicken $12

Potatoes - $4.50

That's all for now but I will add more now and again just so you can compare.

And to compare Kates list in Melbourne to mine here in Brisbane,,,,

6pk carton drinks - $1.99 (on offer this week)

pkt crumpets - $1.99

long life carton milk - $1.08

Sliced Energi Loaf - $3.00 (on offer this week)

Damper bread rolls 6 pk - $3.99

Premium beef burgers - $4.98 (4 fresh burgers)

washed potatoes 2kg - $3.97

Mcain large frozen pizza - $4.50 (on offer this week)

Cooked chicken - $9.99

6 lamb F/Quarter chops - $7.09

half kilo peeled prawns - $11.44

500g Flora light - $2.99

480g Chicken 2night sauce- $3.29

Coke 18 can box - $12.50 (on offer this week)

All the above was purchased at Woolworths today,,as you probably noticed you can save quite a few dollars if you buy items whilst they are on offer.

Cal x

Cal, you have made my day I love crumpets they don't have them here in France :wubclub:

I am sad yes I know, but I miss crumpets

Thanks for the all the info everyone, I am just doing my costings for SS so very helpful

Sam

x

Cal, you have made my day I love crumpets they don't have them here in France :wubclub:

I am sad yes I know, but I miss crumpets

Thanks for the all the info everyone, I am just doing my costings for SS so very helpful

Sam

x

You can't beat a toasted crumpet with a blob of jam on,lol

We need someone in other states to post their prices now,so members can compare,,

Anyone??????????

Cal x

• 2 months later...

Hi - we live in Melbourne. I just downloaded my account statement and here is a table of our monthly expenses (excludes initial set up costs which were very high due to us everything new). This excludes holidays/travel, shopping (clothes, shoes etc), entertainment and any items under discretionary spending. I don't drive. We rent a small 2 bed apartment (so no garden, plenty of light as north facing, top floor, hence lower utility bills) in a very expensive suburb. I live with my children, aged 15 and 7. I don't work. Hubby is working overseas and will be joining us next year. I expect our expenses will go up considerably then (I reckon by 60% - so around $5k a month), mainly due to higher rent we will need a bigger house (all our stuff has not been shipped to Melbourne yet), car, going out more often..etc etc.

We are vegetarians, never scrimp and buy whatever we need without looking for bargains/specials, 95% of our grocery shopping is in Safeway. Our bills looks something like this at the moment:

March’2010

Water, Elec, Gas 178

Internet, phone 73

Groceries 473

Rent 1,560

Misc 172

School 213

Feb

Water, Elec, Gas

Internet, phone 73

Groceries 466.78

Rent 1560

Misc 500.00

School 2,203.0

Jan (overseas on holiday from 18Dec-26Jan)

Water, Elec, Gas 75.85

Internet, phone 73

Groceries 79.72

Rent 1560

Misc

School 255.18

Dec (overseas on holiday from 18Dec-26Jan)

School 509.8

Internet phone 73

Utilities 103

Groceries 293.67

Rent 1560

Misc 500

Nov

Water, Elec, Gas 96.75

Internet, phone 73

Groceries 671.86

Rent 1560

Misc 754

School

So averaging around $3000 a month. Hope this helps :)

this is some bits and bobs i bought yesterday in woolworths perth

3litres milk .....3.89

1 litres veg oil ...3.29

250ml dettol handwash ....2.62

550g dolmio sauce ....2.58

420g garden peas ....1.35

400g citronella outdoor spray ....8.12

160g pourover cheese sauce 2.15

35g paprika ...2.17

120g gravy granules ....2.75

100g lynx deo ...5.99

4pk loo roll ....3.65

170g macleans toothpaste .... 2.59

10pk bic razors ....4.09

220g cadburys snack choc ....2.99

250g white bread ....2.99

210g devondale cheese slices ....2.79

pkt breaded chicken strips ....7.79

400g garlic bread .....4.38

200g arnotts choc biscuits ...1.99

1 hot cross bun .... 98

womens day mag ....4.00

west australian newspaper ...1.30

TOTAL ....$75.35

mrs keily

• 5 months later...

To make a proper comparison need to calculate in pounds so that people in the UK know exactly what their spend would be:

I have picked a few things from the threads and given a comparison.

Kiely's thread

3 litres milk $3.89 = L2.38

Total $75.35 = L46.28

Anya Thread March

$2669.70 = L1639.89

This way I think it may be easier for people to understand as people tend to still think in pounds rather than dollars.

So if you have an income of

$60,0000 its equivalent in pounds is 36,853

Archived