Size of Aussie gardens / houses

jamjar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Don't really think the size of the house matters at all, for me it's all about the location no matter what country you are in, I would rather have a shoe box in a nice location than a multi million dollar house in Sydney or the equivalent in London, Like I said it's all about location, because that's what provides you with the right lifestyle!!!![/quote

Im trying to find a way of making a couple of mill ....Ive got my eye on a beautiful bay window terraced in the middle of kew gardens london....perfick!:angel_happy_face_ha

I'll be laying Astroturf !!!

And no mowing - hoorah!!!!

The majority of houses in the uk are small in size and have small gardens, whereas the majority of houses in Australia are big and have bigger outside areas, fair enough alot of new builds might be on smaller plots with smaller outside areas, that appeals to me, I don't want much of a garden, I have cut my lawn for 35 years and hate it, hate it, hate it.

One thing we found surprising and disappointing when house hunting was exactly what the op described: huge houses with outside space often a bit of an afterthought. I think Aussies are a bit fixated on having a house that takes up 90% of the block, often paving or concreting every possible bit of outside space. No thanks.

Older houses and blocks are much more sensible in terms of inside to outside ratio. They're nicer to look at too. I hate a lot of the new builds, many border on obscene in terms of aesthetics.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
do you live in australia? because i thought i read on one of your posts you was in the process of coming ere....my point is, if you have money it dunt matter if you live in australia, england or tim book two, , there is big houses outside of this country! (I know this may be hard to take in) honest its true....

Why do I have to live there? I suppose the tens of thousands of houses I saw when I was there don't count, So i shouldn't comment on the wide roads, the huge plots, the massive houses, compared to the uk, not all are like that, as I previously said, but on average Australian houses are far bigger than houses in the Uk, I know this may be hard to take in, honest it's true.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

This subject has been covered before and someone provided a link to show that Australian houses on average are almost double the size of houses in the uk, me I think they are too big, I would look for an house round about 180 to 200 sq.

Why do I have to live there? I suppose the tens of thousands of houses I saw when I was there don't count, So i shouldn't comment on the wide roads, the huge plots, the massive houses, compared to the uk, not all are like that, as I previously said, but on average Australian houses are far bigger than houses in the Uk, I know this may be hard to take in, honest it's true.

dont get the "wide road thingy" ..they probably build the houses big coz theres nowt else to do...

The quality of houses are rubbish....

I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in.'

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The new houses in the uk are far superior. Lol. They are like chicken hutches and if you are having a crap in de bog, yer can hear it through the paper thin walls.

The UK builds the smallest homes in Europe

The floor area and room sizes are the smallest in Europe - the average room in a newly built dwelling in France is 26.9 square metres, compared with 15.8 square metres in the UK - and, the graph below shows how British new-builds are less than half the size of those in the United States and Australia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8201900.stm

The floor area and room sizes are the smallest in Europe - the average room in a newly built dwelling in France is 26.9 square metres, compared with 15.8 square metres in the UK - and, the graph below shows how British new-builds are less than half the size of those in the United States and Australia.

[/quote

yes but size dunt matter...give me a a tiny stone cottage any day, why do people need all that space, i like to feel comfy in my house.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Australias average is 206 and the UKs average is 76, that's not far Hoff three times smaller .......... Incredible.

That's right they are smaller in the UK, why do you think that is?? maybe it has something to do with the fact that it costs less to heat a smaller area, Maybe Julia didn't get the carbon tax wrong after all, same as why Americans should be hit with higher carbon tax than any other country with the size of all there houses and the size of the motors!!

UK has the house sizes right in proportion to the energy efficiency in line with keeping a low carbon foot print, that's why most people in the UK have also downsized there motors, although some of that has been down to the fuel prices!! unfortunately the UK does not share the same low oil prices as some of there colleagues and allies in other countries, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will need us when the smelly stuff hits the fan like the last 2 conflicts we unfortunately found ourselves in..

And I thought friends where friends through thick and thin, no wonder the UK has been through 2 recessions....

OMG that's tiny. It must be like living in a shoe box or a doll house.

Guest Guest16631

.......it's alright buying a large house.........but you have to fill it .............and with large rooms your little tv will be lost ...........so it's a great big flat one...............then a disjointed family as kids in one room parents in the other..............that's extra lights power .........then clean it.....!

.......it's alright buying a large house.........but you have to fill it .............and with large rooms your little tv will be lost ...........so it's a great big flat one...............then a disjointed family as kids in one room parents in the other..............that's extra lights power .........then clean it.....!

Why would the parents be in a different room to the kids ? Open plan living brings everyone together - I know we live like that now as that's how we built our house, looking forward to continuing that in Oz !

Big TV, yep great !

At least no stairs to lug the hoover/washing up and down !

Obviously a lot of Brits don't get it going by some of the viewings we've had !

Back to grass though, I'll be having a rain tank and grey water recycling tank to keep the grass nice and green :cool:

Guest Guest16631

.......just a sign of the times I guess..........houses often have more than one living area..........and a rumpus or games room............I agree with the grass...........nothing nicer than looking out to nice grass and gardens IMO......