First driving offence...Help

Sydneytina

Hi,

On Friday morning, I was driving to the doctors appointment at around 8.30 AM and was following the GPS instructions where at one point, it instructed to turn right and I turned right without noticing the 'NO RIGHT TURN: 7.30AM-10.30AM' sign. A highway patrol car was waiting to welcome me and my first ever driving offense was registered. $200 fine and 2 demerit points.

I know it was really stupid of me to do that. In-spite of the GPS instructions, I should be looking all around. I'm so disappointed about my poor decision making.

When I explained to the officer that how I got confused by the GPS instructions and only noticed the sign when it was too late. He said, I could write a letter of appeal to waive off the fine because I've got a clean record.

I've been driving since 1995 (overseas) and from 2007 in Australia. Never ever had any trouble before with my driving anywhere.

When I called at the number mentioned at the back of the ticket. They said, overseas driving experience and clean record cannot be considered and I must be driving in Australia for the past 10 years with a clean record to be considered for a waiver.

I remember there were few threads earlier where just arrived UK migrants had written letter of appeal and it was taken into consideration. My overseas driving experience was not of UK if it makes a difference.

Can anyone please share their experience and guide me about what to write in the letter. I will really appreciate all yours help.

You have nothing to lose by writing the letter - admit guilt, remorse and explain about your previous (overseas) clean record. The worst they can do is say no. Meanwhile, welcome to the land where a minor motoring transgression will land you a bigger fine than punching someone in a bar.

Hi,

On Friday morning, I was driving to the doctors appointment at around 8.30 AM and was following the GPS instructions where at one point, it instructed to turn right and I turned right without noticing the 'NO RIGHT TURN: 7.30AM-10.30AM' sign. A highway patrol car was waiting to welcome me and my first ever driving offense was registered. $200 fine and 2 demerit points.

I know it was really stupid of me to do that. In-spite of the GPS instructions, I should be looking all around. I'm so disappointed about my poor decision making.

When I explained to the officer that how I got confused by the GPS instructions and only noticed the sign when it was too late. He said, I could write a letter of appeal to waive off the fine because I've got a clean record.

I've been driving since 1995 (overseas) and from 2007 in Australia. Never ever had any trouble before with my driving anywhere.

When I called at the number mentioned at the back of the ticket. They said, overseas driving experience and clean record cannot be considered and I must be driving in Australia for the past 10 years with a clean record to be considered for a waiver.

I remember there were few threads earlier where just arrived UK migrants had written letter of appeal and it was taken into consideration. My overseas driving experience was not of UK if it makes a difference.

Can anyone please share their experience and guide me about what to write in the letter. I will really appreciate all yours help.

Hi I feel for u. When something happened to one of my kids when driving , she was told to ring that number, she was booked for as they sAy parking her car a little way over someones drive. We took photos knocked on the owners door and he even said her car was not over the drive. It didnt make any difference she still got the fine and they wouldnt have any of it. But the best bit was they didnt even take photos to prove she had done what they had said.

I hate the way these people sit there waiting for u to do something wrong, but its another way of getting money out of us. Just bloody greedy as far has I,m concerned. But good luck, please keep us posted, would love to know the outcome :)

I know so many people from abroad who have had clean driving licences or 20+ years and got tickets for something soon after arriving in Oz. Think of it as a rite of passage and put it down to experience. The Aussie police are nazis but seeing some of the lunatics on the road I suppose Australia needs these authoritarian measures. At least you are alive and not goign to be banged up. It may have cost a bit of money but that is all. I found when I renewed my incsurance they never asked about and speeding tickets etc and my insurance actually went down.

I got a ticket for speeding on the same day as I got PR so at least my bottle of champers that day also celebrated getting a criminal record. It was the first time I was driving on my Victorian licence!

Pay the fine but try appealing anyway. Many fines are waived