Please help - big differences in quotes - is this normal?

gemstone

Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas if this is normal? I am thinking about contacting the shipping companies as the cubic feet is between 619 to 790cuft which seems a big difference and when I look closely at the inventories there seem to be quite a few things missing from some. (Interesting the ones that have quoted for more cubic feet seem to be the ones that things are missing from). Its very bizarre.

Any ideas on this would be great. Thanks

We ended up with an extra bill for 450GBP once our belongings were packed and on the ship, because we had been hugely underquoted on the volume, so just be careful with that. When the guy came to do the quote, we told him exactly what would and wouldn't be going with us, and the only change we made was that we decided not to ship our range cooker or a church pew that we used for a bench, so theoretically the volume should have decreased. We paid for a full container and were told that everything would fit. Everything did fit, but they charged us for extra items which we didn't even own (things like extra chests of drawers, hat stands, outdoor furniture - we didn't take any outdoors things at all), but they wouldn't release our belonging until we had paid. We refused and asked for the manager to contact us, but they took payment off the credit card anyway. We complained several times, but never came to a satisfactory conclusion. I wrote a letter to them asking about the extra items which they had charged us for, but which were not received (because they weren't in the container) to try and get compensation for the 'loss' of those items, but again I didn't hear anything back. In the end we decided it was too soul destroying to try and pursue it.

Thanks for your post LKC. I'm trying to decide which company to use at the moment and have narrowed it down to three. Would you mind private messaging me which company you had your experience with?

Many thanks!

We ended up with an extra bill for 450GBP once our belongings were packed and on the ship, because we had been hugely underquoted on the volume, so just be careful with that. When the guy came to do the quote, we told him exactly what would and wouldn't be going with us, and the only change we made was that we decided not to ship our range cooker or a church pew that we used for a bench, so theoretically the volume should have decreased. We paid for a full container and were told that everything would fit. Everything did fit, but they charged us for extra items which we didn't even own (things like extra chests of drawers, hat stands, outdoor furniture - we didn't take any outdoors things at all), but they wouldn't release our belonging until we had paid. We refused and asked for the manager to contact us, but they took payment off the credit card anyway. We complained several times, but never came to a satisfactory conclusion. I wrote a letter to them asking about the extra items which they had charged us for, but which were not received (because they weren't in the container) to try and get compensation for the 'loss' of those items, but again I didn't hear anything back. In the end we decided it was too soul destroying to try and pursue it.

We ended up with an extra bill for 450GBP once our belongings were packed and on the ship, because we had been hugely underquoted on the volume, so just be careful with that.

This could be challenged. I don't know which company it was but it sounds as though they just decided to try to get more money out of you after signing the contract. Don't feel bad, though, since you are vulnerable when you are emigrating (time pressure) and someone or other will try to rip you off. I got ripped off selling my car and my books.

Guest oldmarried
This could be challenged. I don't know which company it was but it sounds as though they just decided to try to get more money out of you after signing the contract. Don't feel bad, though, since you are vulnerable when you are emigrating (time pressure) and someone or other will try to rip you off. I got ripped off selling my car and my books.

I agree. You should pursue this. If they are a BAR member write and tell them they have 28 to give you a satisfactory response or you will ask BAR to intervene. In addition, if they are a FIDI member you can report them to FIDI so threaten them with this. If FIDI receives more than 3 complaints in a year about a particular member they pass it on to the external auditors for the FAIM standard and impacts on the scores for the next audit which may prevent their certification being renewed.

I agree. You should pursue this. If they are a BAR member write and tell them they have 28 to give you a satisfactory response or you will ask BAR to intervene. In addition, if they are a FIDI member you can report them to FIDI so threaten them with this. If FIDI receives more than 3 complaints in a year about a particular member they pass it on to the external auditors for the FAIM standard and impacts on the scores for the next audit which may prevent their certification being renewed.

It was three years ago, we gave up trying to pursue it. The most irritating part was that they were the most expensive, but we went with them because the guy seemed to take his time and look in the loft, measure things etc. We went with a full container because they said it would be quicker, but it sat in Sydney for four weeks because they lost our paperwork and couldn't be bothered to sort it out. It was only after chasing them daily about it, that they admitted they had lost it. After calling oh a liar and accusing him of having not given the paperwork to them, when we had.

We didn't pursue it for too long because as new migrants we were feeling vulnerable and just wanted our stuff.

Guest oldmarried
It was three years ago, we gave up trying to pursue it. The most irritating part was that they were the most expensive, but we went with them because the guy seemed to take his time and look in the loft, measure things etc. We went with a full container because they said it would be quicker, but it sat in Sydney for four weeks because they lost our paperwork and couldn't be bothered to sort it out. It was only after chasing them daily about it, that they admitted they had lost it. After calling oh a liar and accusing him of having not given the paperwork to them, when we had.

We didn't pursue it for too long because as new migrants we were feeling vulnerable and just wanted our stuff.

Sorry to hear you had such a nightmare. Sometimes people do add and its only fair and reasonable for removal to companies to charge extra for the extra work. But there is a way of dealing with these things properly and if you can't demonstrate why the extra charge is fair through a comparison of the survey inventory and the actual inventory then no grounds to make the charge in my view. No excuses in Sydney. That's just shoddy.

I can understand your feelings of vulnerability. For anyone else out there reading this my advice would be to pay up and get your goods and then within a reasonable time frame after delivery take up the matter again and, assuming you have selected a company which has the appropriate trade memberships, follow up with the trade associations if you are not satisfied. The BAR does follow up every complaint (sometimes albeit a bit slowly!)

Sorry to hear you had such a nightmare. Sometimes people do add and its only fair and reasonable for removal to companies to charge extra for the extra work. But there is a way of dealing with these things properly and if you can't demonstrate why the extra charge is fair through a comparison of the survey inventory and the actual inventory then no grounds to make the charge in my view. No excuses in Sydney. That's just shoddy.

I can understand your feelings of vulnerability. For anyone else out there reading this my advice would be to pay up and get your goods and then within a reasonable time frame after delivery take up the matter again and, assuming you have selected a company which has the appropriate trade memberships, follow up with the trade associations if you are not satisfied. The BAR does follow up every complaint (sometimes albeit a bit slowly!)

The thing was we had taken things off, not put things on. They charged oh's credit card without permission, but his mum didn't send the statement for three months so we had no idea. It was a rubbish experience.

That sounds like a very frustrating experience. Would you mind pm me the company so that I can avoid them as we will be shipping our stuff in a few months.

Thanks

Jay