Social Worker

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Hi

I'm hoping for some guidance re: my eligibility to work/live in Australia as a Social Worker. I have a Bsc Hons 3 year degree in Social Work (2008) with 4 years PQ full time employment. I have been in touch with the AASW (Australian Association of Social Workers) & a Visa Bureau. The Visa Bureau consider I could work as a Welfare Worker but not a Social Worker as my degree wasn't a 4 year degree. I have post qualifying training & will qualify as an Approved Mental Health Professional in July 2012 (AMHP) formerly known as an Approved Social Worker (ASW).

Many Thanks :)))

Hey Wendy

It's all quite confusing, lengthy and money spinning.

In short, and I can be more specific in a private message of you need me to be. Posts that we held in the UK as 'Social Worker' are not Social Work roles her in Aus. So, I was a safeguarding SW back in the UK - I too did a 3 year BSW. I am doing the same job here, but because i'm not a 'Social Worker' I'm a 'Protective Practitioner' I don't need to be assessed or registered with the AASW.

I don't know what the situation is in Mental Health here or if their is a AMHP equivalent.

The AASW will assess your Degree with 3 years PQ to make up for the 1 year short fall - they need to know the course content from your degree transcript. However, if it's not up to their standard then they won't registered you. It's over $800 to get your degree assessed.

Drew

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Hi Drew,

that's really helpful. I'm going to update my CV & submit to the Visa Bureau & see what they come back with. I don't really want to pay over $800 for a skills assessment. I hope you don't mind but could you tell me what the salary is like & what part of Australia you work. I'm looking at Perth or the Goldcoast? If you want to send a private message to explain in more detail thats fine. I'm relatively new this site so not sure how to go about sending a private message.

Many Thanks

Wendy

You don't need to have your degree approved. You will be more than ok with what you have to offer. Have you considered contacting Reeds International, they do all the visa, skype interview etc for you. I did this route but SW in Australia wasn't for me and I happily returned to the UK last year.

Hey Wendy

I'm in Melbourne, I would agreed with Madgen and think that the best route would be to share your CV with an agency or recruitment consultant over here. You normally find that they have an ex-pat social worker within their team who works with all UK recruits as they have a better understanding of how the UK system operates and translates to the Aus system.

You do have to have your degree approved for some roles here, if your job title is 'Social Worker' you must be eligible for AASW registration which is ascertain through the skills assessment. If you found that your role in UK is here in Aus but not classed as a 'Social Worker' then you don't need to.

Drew

Hi

I'm hoping for some guidance re: my eligibility to work/live in Australia as a Social Worker. I have a Bsc Hons 3 year degree in Social Work (2008) with 4 years PQ full time employment. I have been in touch with the AASW (Australian Association of Social Workers) & a Visa Bureau. The Visa Bureau consider I could work as a Welfare Worker but not a Social Worker as my degree wasn't a 4 year degree. I have post qualifying training & will qualify as an Approved Mental Health Professional in July 2012 (AMHP) formerly known as an Approved Social Worker (ASW).

Hi,

Have you looked at AASW website, where it lists the liklihood of you being eligible to register. It gives a list of different routes as qualifying as a SW and the chances of being able to register. I would've thought you would be fine with your 4 years post qualifying. In my experience, i have spoken to a few agents, and i actually knew more than them. The Dip SW, would come under welfare worker and a newly qualified worker with a degree without PQ experience. I would definitely get a skills assessment through AASW. There are many recruitment campaigns around Australia where the employer will sponsor social workers, so i would go direct to employers. Victoria, Northern Territory and Western Australia and queensland i believe. I have just had an interview with WA for job in Perth and they are still accepting expressions of interest, so if WA is of interest i would contact them. Relocation package too! Have a browse on the search facility on here and you will find lots of information, some good and some not so good from social workers. Good Luck.

Suzanne

You do have to have your degree approved for some roles here, if your job title is 'Social Worker' you must be eligible for AASW registration which is ascertain through the skills assessment. If you found that your role in UK is here in Aus but not classed as a 'Social Worker' then you don't need to.

Drew

Hi Wendy,

If you require a visa, then you will need to get your quals assessed, wether that be welfare worker or social worker. But i personally would get them assessed as social worker as i am sure this would open up more work opportunities.

Drew

Hi Wendy,

If you require a visa, then you will need to get your quals assessed, wether that be welfare worker or social worker. But i personally would get them assessed as social worker as i am sure this would open up more work opportunities.

Wendy

This depends on how you come across to Australia and whether you are coming independently or sponsored by a State/Employer.

If you intend to apply for a Independent Skilled Migrant Visa Subclass 175 - you will need to get your skills assessed by AASW.

If you intend to apply for a Sponsored Skilled Migrant Visa Subclass 176 - you will need to get your skills assessed by AASW.

If you intend to apply for a Temporary Business Visa Long Stay Subclass 457 - you do not need to get your skills assessed.

Drew

If you intend to apply for a Temporary Business Visa Long Stay Subclass 457 - you do not need to get your skills assessed.

Drew

Hi Wedny/Drew,

Just to let you know the job i appled for (child protection, Perth) is for 457 visa, and as part of their recruitment process, they require SW degree to be assessed by AASW. So i guess it is down to the individual organisation/area. As they are offering permanent sponsorship (ENS...I think it is) after 2 yrs, it's useful to have the quals assessed now, for me anyway! If going for a 176 for WA, the last time i looked they require 8 yrs experience. Maybe they are a little stricter than other states.

Suzanne

Re agencies, i went to Live in Australia and spoke to HCL, who were recruiting for Victoria and NT last year. NT still recruitng and Melbourne. I looked on Department for Child Protection state websites and saw most states have international recruitment for social workers. i would cut out agency and go direct to the employer. WA have an expression of interest form to complete on their site for other areas in social work. And re my above post, the 8 yr experience doesn't count for 457.

Suzanne

Hi Wedny/Drew,

Just to let you know the job i appled for (child protection, Perth) is for 457 visa, and as part of their recruitment process, they require SW degree to be assessed by AASW. So i guess it is down to the individual organisation/area. As they are offering permanent sponsorship (ENS...I think it is) after 2 yrs, it's useful to have the quals assessed now, for me anyway! If going for a 176 for WA, the last time i looked they require 8 yrs experience. Maybe they are a little stricter than other states.

Yes it must be as it is not required in Victoria also when I completed my paperwork for the 457 the DIAC did not request anything from AASW - this must be something the the employer is requesting that you do then rather than immigration as they are nation wide rather than state specific?. I see how it would be helpful to get it done now if your future plan is to apply for PR as it would already be completed.

Drew

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Many Thanks for your advice, I'm going to complete the Skills Assessment I know it is currently $850 but it might me money well spent! I'll keep you posted, continue to Njoy Australia & I hope I can join you soon!!! Any further advice would be greatly appreciated :)))

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Hi Suzanne,

you mention WA have an expression of interest form to complete on their site can you send me the link for this site?

Many Thanks

Wendy

Hi,

since there seem to be some knowledgeable people here I hope you don't mind if I attach my question. I have an overseas 3.5 year degree which is the recognized degree for social workers here. I also have 3 years work experience, mainly in child protection.

My original plan was to have my degree assessed by AASW and go the 176 route with WA SS. However, I am worried about the assessment outcome since my degree isn't 4 years and I hear AASW is quite strict. As I see it I also have the option of going for ACWA assessment as a welfare worker, which seems to have lower academic requirements, correct?

At the end it shouldn't matter which occupation I chose for the SS and 176 or does it make a difference? My main concern is beating the July 1st deadline and I am contemplating spending the extra money and going for both accreditations.

Also, ACWA requires two placements of 400h each during the studies. I am not sure if qualify for this, could I make up for it with my work experience?

If going for a 176 for WA, the last time i looked they require 8 yrs experience. Maybe they are a little stricter than other states.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I couldn't find the 8 year requirement anywhere - actually no requirement whatsoever. Of course the 176 still demands 12 out of the last 24 month.

I have a UK BA in SW and 3 years work experience. I took the step to have my qualifications assessed, I had to order all the module outlines for my course and send them to AASW. I had a positive assessment within 8wks. I am sure if you have a social work degree and 3 years work experience which is their requirement you will get a positive assessment. In fact when I put in my application I had not completed the 3 years yet and AASW said they had to wait until this was completed. My manager emailed them on the day I completed the 3 years and I got an email the next day and paperwork in the post.

Roseyyy

Hi Suzanne,

I couldn't find the 8 year requirement anywhere - actually no requirement whatsoever. Of course the 176 still demands 12 out of the last 24 month.

Hi Joanna,

I'm sorry for misleading you, i had a look a while back and the 8 yr experience thing stuck in my mind....i now know that it is to do with gaining maximun points for work experience re 176 visa for 8 yrs experience. Just checked it out and see how i became confused.

Furthermore, i am sure your work experience would give you a positive skills assessment.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

you mention WA have an expression of interest form to complete on their site can you send me the link for this site?

Many Thanks

Wendy[/quote

Here is the link, on the right dside of the screen is the UK Recruitment campaign details. If you click on there, it tells you more about expression of interest for future posts.

Suzanne

]http://www.dcp.wa.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx