Shipping - What's the process?

Taz2008

I am in the process of getting quotes for shipping but am getting different information from each of the two shippers I have been in touch with.

One says that we will have to pay a "bond" of $400 to the company in Perth which is not included in the packers fees, but the other company does not know what I am talking about when I mentioned it to them!?

So, can anyone tell me what the process is for shipping, so far I gather that;

* the shippers will come and pack and give us some forms to fill in regarding what we are taking and we have to provide our passports and visas.

* the container will then take approx 35 days to arrive in Perth and 7 - 10 days in customs.

After this I am getting confused...

* The container then is inspected by customs randomly and if inspected an inspection fee is paid of about $120 and if container needs fumigating this would cost about $300.

OR

* A "bond" of $400 is to be paid directly to the company receiving the container which is for an inspection fee and this is compulsory.

What part of the above is AQIS?:GEEK:

I would appreciate any help from anyone who has gone through this process.

Thanks

Tasha:wubclub:

Guest oldmarried

If you are having your own container then you should allow:

7 days this end for catching the vessel

35 days approx on water

10 - 20 days clearance and delivery

I would say both companies are talking about Aqis but in my view one is optimistic and the other realistic. Upon arrival in Australia all containers of household goods are moved to Aqis licensed facilities, the goods unloaded and then inspected by Aqis. There may be occasion when customs require the container to be fumigated but this is very rare on containers from the UK. We don't have the sort of bugs and critters that would survive and manifest in transit and therefore require killing before the container is unloaded. Once inspected Aqis may decide that some items do not meet the criteria and need to be either cleaned or destroyed for which you incur additional charges over and above the inspection fee. So the final aqis charges for each shipment are dependent on the time taken for the inspection and the subsequent costs of any specific treatment if necessary.

So in respect of the charges, the bond of $400 is pretty average for a 20ft gp container and they are calling it a bond because you pay it in advance pending the actual inspection of the container and so issuance of final costs. The company who says the inspection fee is $120 is a little under the mark, it will be more than this.