looking for a buddy

Guest abz23

hi im abby

im 23 from devon in the uk im female im wanting to get a working visa and go traveling around oz or newzealand while working but i am abit worryd about going on my own i would like to go with someone and i have tryed to get my mates to come with me but most of them have othe commitments.so if anyone would like to have a chat about it would be make my day to find like mided people like me.

:ssign18:

Theres a chance i might be going in november/december. You should be able to find a buddy on here and there may be other travel forums aswell,
cool let me know :)

It does not have to be that scary travelling on your own. Book up to stay in a hostel when you first arrive and you should make friends pretty quickly.

I think sometimes its just a bit scarier for women to go on their own. I know that my family werent too happy about it when i told them i was thinking about it, they would rather i went with other people if i go

Same really. Yeahhh tbh I was all for set going very soon but reading posts of people being in and out of work for weeks on end is worrying me a little I have to admit.

I think its just a bit of a gamble really, some people do well and some find it harder. its probably to do with how fussy you are aswell. if your happy to work in regional areas doing fruitpicking and other labour type work then i guess it might be easier that way. I think WA has a lot more work than other other states, well thats what im picking up from on here anyway

Yes I was going to say I've noticed my mates who have stayed in regional areas have had no trouble at all finding jobs, it seems to be the "city slickers" who do, which is understandable from a supply and demand POV. Let's be honest eveyone likes the idea of having a cushy office job in Syndey or Brisbane then hitting the beach on weekends, not picking fruit for 10 hrs a day on a farm in the outback.

For a fortunate few I have nmo doubt the first option is available, given the right appearance, gender, skills and blagability, but given the vast amount of backpackers heading there or so it seems I think we'll have to be content with assuming regional is the way forward for "guaranteed" work. I will try to prove this wrong though!

Yes I was going to say I've noticed my mates who have stayed in regional areas have had no trouble at all finding jobs, it seems to be the "city slickers" who do, which is understandable from a supply and demand POV. Let's be honest eveyone likes the idea of having a cushy office job in Syndey or Brisbane then hitting the beach on weekends, not picking fruit for 10 hrs a day on a farm in the outback.

For a fortunate few I have nmo doubt the first option is available, given the right appearance, gender, skills and blagability, but given the vast amount of backpackers heading there or so it seems I think we'll have to be content with assuming regional is the way forward for "guaranteed" work. I will try to prove this wrong though!

Yep your completely right! :) My plan (if i ever go) would be get my regional work out the way so I could get my 2nd visa and then probably head to perth and just do some normal shop work etc for a while so i had guaranteed money for a while. Hmmm not sure, it's all a bit confusing.

Where you thinking of heading first?

id like to do farm work or pick fruit for a month or so is love to work on a ranch but that would be well hard i dont mind hard work but i think you would have to be pritty strong to do it

I think its just a bit of a gamble really, some people do well and some find it harder. its probably to do with how fussy you are aswell. if your happy to work in regional areas doing fruitpicking and other labour type work then i guess it might be easier that way. I think WA has a lot more work than other other states, well thats what im picking up from on here anyway

id like to go perth and even do some costal work but i bet the jobs would go very fast.maybe even a vin year would be cool

hi im abby

im 23 from devon in the uk im female im wanting to get a working visa and go traveling around oz or newzealand while working but i am abit worryd about going on my own i would like to go with someone and i have tryed to get my mates to come with me but most of them have othe commitments.so if anyone would like to have a chat about it would be make my day to find like mided people like me.

:ssign18:

I went over on WHV in 2004 - I went with BUNAC (mainly because I had done Camp America the year before and had met great people that way), I was going on my own and was about your age. 14 of us met at the Airport in London flew together, had stop over in Thailand, and then we had few days in Hostal in Sydney together - 6 of us got a house to rent in Coogee for 3 months, we were all working, (few of us had office jobs, others bar work - I got a job as a Lifeguard in one of the Council Pools). After 3 of us traveled up east coast together. I then went off and did my own thing after that, but met up again with some of the guys in other parts of Australia.

I could have done it myself - as you meet loads of people when you are travelling but sometimes harded when you are looking for work in Citys etc.

It was a bit more expensive to go with BUNAC, but they had office in Sydney that you could get your meil sent to and redirected, you could leave luggage there etc.

If you are worried on going on your own I would look in to them http://www.bunac.org/uk/workaustralia/default.aspx

I went over on WHV in 2004 - I went with BUNAC (mainly because I had done Camp America the year before and had met great people that way), I was going on my own and was about your age. 14 of us met at the Airport in London flew together, had stop over in Thailand, and then we had few days in Hostal in Sydney together - 6 of us got a house to rent in Coogee for 3 months, we were all working, (few of us had office jobs, others bar work - I got a job as a Lifeguard in one of the Council Pools). After 3 of us traveled up east coast together. I then went off and did my own thing after that, but met up again with some of the guys in other parts of Australia.

I could have done it myself - as you meet loads of people when you are travelling but sometimes harded when you are looking for work in Citys etc.

It was a bit more expensive to go with BUNAC, but they had office in Sydney that you could get your meil sent to and redirected, you could leave luggage there etc.

If you are worried on going on your own I would look in to them http://www.bunac.org/uk/workaustralia/default.aspx

I totally agree with the above post having done the same with BUNAC before uni (but to Canada). Even going wthout BUNAC, it's so easy to meet people if you do end up going alone. As someone said earlier, if you book into a hostel for the first week, you meet so many people and though a bit scary on arrival, you become so much more confident really quickly and open to new ideas. As I said, I went to Canada by myself for a year and it was the best year of my life (so far) and I made so many friends who I'm still in contact with 7 years later.

One upside of going it alone, is that you have no one holding you back or to worry about. The trip would be totally yours to experience everything you want to.

But, if you do want to go with someone as you've already seen, you'll easily fnd someone on here!

Yep your completely right! :) My plan (if i ever go) would be get my regional work out the way so I could get my 2nd visa and then probably head to perth and just do some normal shop work etc for a while so i had guaranteed money for a while. Hmmm not sure, it's all a bit confusing.

Where you thinking of heading first?

East Coast, probably one of the regional NSW towns!

I'm heading over in July for a year on my own, you'll be fine, make loads of friends along the way :)

Still playing with the idea of being a jillaroo too - we'll see, it's been 10 years since I was a proper horse rider!!

I'm starting in perth with a friend who lives there then who knows!

Enjoy yourself, wherever you end up! x

Guest lizface

Hi Abby, nice to meet you. I'm going out by myself in June on a WHV, but I'm hoping to find work and settle somewhere (but I don't mind having to travel around to do that first), rather than doing the travel-around-Australia thing, but we could always arrange to bump into each other and do some touristy things together if you like!

Guest economicalflight

Yep there is a big issue of communication when you go a new place. I think there are many such kind of business which can provide all types of traveling and other services like communicator etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MrMisery

hey , i'm David.. i'm also in the same situation with regards to friends not coming with me, and am also looking for someone to travel with... i live in Dublin though :-/

Guest Marc Anderson

hey iv just registered to this site and it seems pretty good. im 25 and in the exact same position as you at home and iv ended up deciding to go alone and was hoping to meet up with people or get in contact with them for when i go. when are you thinking of going? would be good to chat for information etc

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xmickieymoox

Got the same concerns here! I'm desperate to get out there, but like "scottishstacey" I've not got many skills to offer...

Which is why I'm thinking of getting a qualification out there, for the mining industry in particular. Work them for a few years, save money and then hit the travelling scene!

x