Hi everybody :)

Guest Callum H

Guest Callum H

Hey everyone.

Just signed up to the forum today and thought I'd introduce myself to you all.

Currently a University student in my final-year and am hoping to move out to Australia with my Dad (either Perth or Adelaide) later this year or early next year depending upon finances, visa time etc.

Also hoping to get out to Australia for about a month sometime in early November this year to have a good long visit and a grand tour as it were. Bar the obvious places we'd want to look (Opera house, Great Barrier reef, Uluru etc.) is there anywhere else you'd recommend we must visit whilst we are out there?

Anyway, as I say, just a short intro and if you want to know anything more about me or my plans feel free to ask. Bye for now :)

Guest AKA63029

Hi Callum.

Firstly welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay.

Good luck with the visa process matey, I'm sure you'll get there.

Reference your visit, depends on what you're interested in matey, so many things to see and do.

Give us an idea about your interests and where you will be going and you will receive all kinds of recommendations.

In the meantime matey, have a good stay on here and keep us updated.

Cheers Tony.

Guest Callum H

Hi, thanks for the swift reply.

We absolutely must go to both Perth and Adelaide as these are the cities we are thinking of living in when the time comes around. Obviously we would want to go to Sydney and Brisbane too.

As I say we'd like to see the barrier reef (that is the first thing on the list!), the opera house etc. I know there are a tonne of things to do in and around both Perth and Adelaide. We'd like to see as much as possible within the month we should be spending there.

Is there anywhere in and around those areas, bar the stuff I've mentioned, that anyone would recommend we absolutely have to visit?

Cheers.

Guest littlesarah

Hi Callum, and welcome!

My advice to anyone trying to travel to places on either side of this vast country is to plan very carefully, because you need to allow for the time it takes to fly from place to place (including checking in/bag drop etc) as well as the time you'd like to spend in each. If you're planning on driving, make sure you check how long it's likely to take - I didn't really appreciate just how big this country is until I drove all day and then looked at the map and saw how much further I had to go!

There are so many things to see here, and so many different itineraries that you could choose, that I'd suggest you get hold of a good travel book about Australia and have a read (Rough Guide or Lonely Planet are both pretty good). I wouldn't take everything they say as gospel, though, because there are some not so touristy places and things to do that don't make it to guide books, and part of the fun of travel (for me at least) is stumbling across something/somewhere interesting. Of course, it also depends what you're into, as to what places would interest you.

I've heard that Ningaloo Reef (off WA) is pretty special - it's certainly on my 'to do list'! I loved the Red Centre, including Alice (which I know some people don't like, but I thought it was interesting), and Melbourne is a very cool city, IMO. I love Sydney - the harbour is pretty special, I think, and of course there are lots of photo opportunities! I also really enjoyed the Great Ocean Road (especially the Koalas at Cape Otway and Melba Gully at night when the glow-worms were out, not to mention the Apostles of course!). I haven't been to WA, but the photos I've seen are pretty special.

If you're really determined to do that kind of trip, it might be worth considering flying into one city and out of another - you should be eligible for student discount fares if you're in full-time education. If I were you, I'd contact a few travel agents, because there are fares that also include some internal flights. The only thing with that is that you'd most likely need to organise your itinerary and book flights before you leave the UK, so it would probably be good if you'd decided a route beforehand. Often, the travel agent will help you with planning, but of course they'll steer you into what they know and what they think is good. That's fine, if you're happy to go with that, less so if you prefer to figure out yourself what you'd like to see/do. (I'm the first to admit that I fall into the latter camp, but I appreciate that independent travel in a relatively tight timeframe can be hard to organise and not for everyone) Having said that, if you do some research before you see the travel agent, that would probably help you to get the trip you want (& them to provide it)!

Anyway, I could bang on about this all day, but I really do need to go and do some chores so that I can get out into the sunshine this afternoon!

I hope you have a great trip - I find the planning almost as exciting as actually travelling!