Guest Cup Cake

What maternity leave and benefits do you get in Australia?

Guest Cup Cake

I'm just wondering what the maternity benefits are over in Australia. We have one child at the moment and plan to have more which may be after we make the move to Oz. :yes:

What do you receive in terms of maternity leave and maternity benefits?

E.g. how much time can you have off after having a baby, do you get any money from the state for supporting the baby and help with childcare?

When we had our son in the UK I was entitled to a full years leave from work with maternity pay for 9 months at £128.23 per week and recieved £20 per week child benefit and when I returned to work I got £7 per week towards childcare costs. At the time my I had only been in my job 2.5 years so wasnt entitled to the maternity pay from my employer but would have been had I fallen pregnant after being with them for two years.

Can any one help??? :err:

Guest Cup Cake
Hi Cup.

You don't say what visa you will be on, and I 'think' that may make a difference.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/ppl_working_parents_eligibility.htm

It may be of some help, if not holla again and I am sure someone can help.

Cheers Tony.

Thanks Tony,

I will be coming in on a 175 visa..... I'll check out the link.

I know at the hospital I work at you have to have been working there a year, you're entitled I think to 14 weeks paid leave then up to a year unpaid (a colleague is looking at this at the moment) I don't know what state benefits/payments you get

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

You normally have to be with your employer for at least a year before you entitled to any maternity leave. Then you get 14 weeks leave on full pay (or 28 weeks on half pay if it is what you choose).

You would get baby bonus, which is about $5000 after the birth of your baby, but it is paid over a 13 week period.

Then you probably would be entitled to Family Tax Benefit, but the amount varies as it is calculated on families' income.

You also get help with childcare, and again that depends on your income, but to give you a rough idea, nursery for my daughter is $75 a day and we get paid $30 towards the fees in Child Care Benefit, so we then pay $45 in nursery fees.

Guest Cup Cake

Thanks all, It seems the employers bit of the maternity pay differs with each employer as it does in the UK.... as for the sate benefits more research needed there but what I've read on another forum there are a few things available.....