Tips for writing competitive Aussie CV's

Freckleface

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have recently been granted PR visa and while I am still working in Middle East, I have started applying to jobs in Australia. I work in Occupational Health & Safety. I am planning to buy an Australian Forwarding number from internet and put that number on my CV so that recruiters can contact me easily (due to a local number rather than an overseas one). My query is that is it ethical to do that because the recruiter might think you are already in Australia (only if he has not read your CV properly), also can it improve my chances of being contacted?

I have recently been granted PR visa and while I am still working in Middle East, I have started applying to jobs in Australia. I work in Occupational Health & Safety. I am planning to buy an Australian Forwarding number from internet and put that number on my CV so that recruiters can contact me easily (due to a local number rather than an overseas one). My query is that is it ethical to do that because the recruiter might think you are already in Australia (only if he has not read your CV properly), also can it improve my chances of being contacted?

Nop, you need australian experience, with regards to OHS you need white card and stuff other trainings. Getting a job isn't as easy as we hear when we aren't in australia. Don't quit your job in uae, unless you are ready to do some odd job when you first come to australia.

• 2 months later...

I apologize for bumping an old thread - but Freckleface, can you advise where you stand on the issue of including information about your visa on your CV? I've seen some experts say you should, because otherwise employers will see you only have work experience outside Australia and just toss it thinking you're on a temporary visa and may not be permanently settling int he country. Others say you shouldn't include it, that you should wait until the interview to discuss it. What do you think?

Thanks!

I apologize for bumping an old thread - but Freckleface, can you advise where you stand on the issue of including information about your visa on your CV? I've seen some experts say you should, because otherwise employers will see you only have work experience outside Australia and just toss it thinking you're on a temporary visa and may not be permanently settling int he country. Others say you shouldn't include it, that you should wait until the interview to discuss it. What do you think?

Thanks!

This can be really tricky and could backfire whatever you do. I'm assuming you have PR? If yes, you could include it in the section at the start where you have address details etc. Don't make a big deal about it though just present it as Visa Status: Permanent Resident.

No, I don't - that's why I think even more that it might be important to explain my status. I'm on a Prospective Marriage Visa, and will have a spouse visa in about two months or a little less. I have full work rights, but I'm concerned it's going to be very hard to get hired at a professional-level job until I'm a PR two years from now. I want to do whatever I can to maximize my chances.

I have full work rights, but I'm concerned it's going to be very hard to get hired at a professional-level job until I'm a PR two years from now. I want to do whatever I can to maximize my chances.
Hard but not impossible. I managed, but probably just got lucky. I used the phrase visa with work rights - path to permanent residence.

No, I don't - that's why I think even more that it might be important to explain my status. I'm on a Prospective Marriage Visa, and will have a spouse visa in about two months or a little less. I have full work rights, but I'm concerned it's going to be very hard to get hired at a professional-level job until I'm a PR two years from now. I want to do whatever I can to maximize my chances.

I agree with Quinkla but would suggest (depending on the type of work you do) that you go and see a temp agency and try to get some temp or short term contract work just so you can include that on your CV. If you can do that you won't have to mention the visa at all.

I agree with Quinkla but would suggest (depending on the type of work you do) that you go and see a temp agency and try to get some temp or short term contract work just so you can include that on your CV. If you can do that you won't have to mention the visa at all.

Public Relations/Social Media is what I do. Hard to find temp work for that kind of thing. I do have a friend, fortunately, who is in the business in the area and is going to put out feelers for me - I just want to optimize my CV so he can send it out to his contacts. :) Thanks, Freckle, and to Quinkla as well - I think I'll use that wording.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sdavis654

I don't know why I am finding it so difficult to re-write my CV for the australian job market!! I've taken the advice from Freckleface but i've also found examples on Careerone.com.au and they seem to have a different layout for the different types of jobs so it's just confused me even more! Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can go to get some help with it in Melbourne??

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Freckleface!

Thanks for all the advice regarding the resume building. It would have been nicer if I could have accessed your CV template. Anyways, Can I ask you for a little bit of personalized advice. I am a civil engineer with PR visa. I arrived to Perth 2 months back and since then I have been applying for loads of jobs. Unfortunately, I have not received a single call for interview. Can you please advise me a better way to seek job?

Best Regards

Style is same you just have more room to sell yourself ESP if you have a lot of experience. You could do same in UK just need to be more succinct.

i don't think it matters what style you have it's about content and if they 'feel' you are right.

Hi Freckleface!

Thanks for all the advice regarding the resume building. It would have been nicer if I could have accessed your CV template. Anyways, Can I ask you for a little bit of personalized advice. I am a civil engineer with PR visa. I arrived to Perth 2 months back and since then I have been applying for loads of jobs. Unfortunately, I have not received a single call for interview. Can you please advise me a better way to seek job?

Best Regards

do you attach cover letters?

• 1 month later...

Maybe it is because you do not have any Australian experience, where as other applicants do and you will not get a call if you do not meet the job requirements. Two months is not a long time looking for a job and it can take a lot longer than this. Also you may want to find some one to look over you resume there are plenty around (look on Google or if on Facebook join a local page where you are and ask) that will do it some may give you free pointers as to what if any thing may need to be changed.