What documents should we to take to Oz? Originals needed or scanned?!?

Taz2008

I am now starting the awful process of clearing out paperwork before we make the move in May...

Q. What do I keep, what do I need and what do I throw away?

Feel like I am going round and round in circles... I have lots of business documents, bank statements etc and not sure if I should bring them with us, or chuck em out?!

For those of you who have already made the move, did you need originals or were scanned documents ok?

How long should original bank statements and receipts be kept for?

Whats essential and whats not?

What documents did you take in your suitcase?

We are on the 175 permanent residency visa and we will be doing all the obvious stuff like opening bank accounts, renting cars, buying cars, finding a house rental, medicare, setting up bills, getting mobile contracts, tax... bla bla bla...

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Tasha

Hi, I think (it is three years ago tomorrow since we moved) that I bought things like birth certificates, marriage certificates, degree and qualification certificates, medical records etc in the hand luggage so that I knew where they were and that we could use them. I also scanned them in and brought them digitally too, just in case anything was lost. I also brought oh's contract and I think I also took a bank statement showing proceeds from the sale of oh's business as proof that we could afford a rental. I also brought, in the shipping container, three years worth of bank statements, tax details and things like that. We haven't needed them, but they were here in case.

I'd be interested to know who/what needed originals v's scans too.

I've scanned evrything and asides passport and drivers license i'm sort of hoping scanned copies will suffice (they were good enough for the visa). I'll put originals in the shipping.

We've been here for one week and completed most things like: mobile phones, rental application (successful ), Medicare, broadband, hire car etc etc basically everything you need. Most companies/ departments require you to satisfy a 100 point score which is made up from (not always originals) ID (drivers licence) or passport, visa certificate, a utility bill, bank statement, a reference (If you have one) Medicare card, you can get a receipt for one when you apply (takes 5 mins). oz bank account details (if you have opened one). There is no need to bring mountains of paperwork from the uk unless you want to store it in the bottom draw again for another 10 years.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your replies. I am normally such an organised person but lately seem to be loosing my way, what with kids on 2 weeks hols, house to be sorted and sold, shipping to be organised my brain is mush at the moment. :wub:

So any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. :wubclub: