What do/will you miss about Australia?

CrimsonPetal

Thanks for the replies everyone, very illuminating.

It seems that it is a very subjective topic, as of course would be expected, but I find that reassuring. It means that there isn't anything about Australia per se that will be missed but just individual memories and preferences. I can deal with that.

Again, thanks all for playing along. :wubclub:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss

Gum trees, big sky, that peculiar quality of light, sandy beach 10 minutes away, Nestles chocolate, cheap train/tram/bus, salary sacrifice, cheap tickets to the cricket, the lorikeets outside my office window and the kookaburra who sat on our backfence

don't miss

Aussie tv, being so bloody hot at night(don't mind it through the day!!) featureless pubs with endless tvs, Aussie rules, spiders so big they look like they could carry you off

Loving being back, although Aus didn't suit as our home there will always be a warm place in my heart( I don't know if I have said this on here before but I am Aussie myself but UK has been home to me for many many years and the UK bit has taken over the Aus bit) and deep down inside I still call Australia home. I think of it as that Auntie that you are really very fond of but a short visit is always enough!!

:cute:

I miss

Gum trees, big sky, that peculiar quality of light, sandy beach 10 minutes away, Nestles chocolate, cheap train/tram/bus, salary sacrifice, cheap tickets to the cricket, the lorikeets outside my office window and the kookaburra who sat on our backfence

don't miss

Aussie tv, being so bloody hot at night(don't mind it through the day!!) featureless pubs with endless tvs, Aussie rules, spiders so big they look like they could carry you off

Loving being back, although Aus didn't suit as our home there will always be a warm place in my heart( I don't know if I have said this on here before but I am Aussie myself but UK has been home to me for many many years and the UK bit has taken over the Aus bit) and deep down inside I still call Australia home. I think of it as that Auntie that you are really very fond of but a short visit is always enough!!

:cute:

Nice post

The sky and the sunlight is different here...in a good way. Colors are more vibrant and rich. Hard to explain....maybe it's due to less ozone? :biggrin:

Haha yes, maybe. Less ozone, always a good thing :goofy::no:

There is a different quality to the light though, you're right...not as grey, lol. The sky's a big one though I reckon, when I first got here I remember looking at the sky in awe. :)

Port Philip Bay - oh wait, I can't swim there because its an open sewer

Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths.....anything else? Oh yeah, Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles ......

Armed police everywhere

Expensive ADSL

Raucus abusive parliamentarians

Crap 40 year old trams

overcrowded trains

NOTHING

There's sooo many things that I miss.

The amazing sky, the sounds of the wild birds, the smell of rain on a hot summers day, the ability to go from city to the middle of nowhere in a short space of time. Having city/beach/country/outback/desert/rainforest and jungle in the one country.

And a good ol' DIM SIM!!! I shall certainly be eating a few in my first 24hrs :0)

AC

Guest guest57588

Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths.....anything else? Oh yeah, Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles Woolworths Coles ......

Armed police everywhere

Expensive ADSL

Crap 40 year old trams

overcrowded trains

NOTHING

Ouch!. You heading home mate?. Welcome to PIO by the way.

I moved back to the UK four years ago, am back in OZ now but will list all the things i missed especially the first 12 months or so until I just decided that there was no point in reflecting but just deal with what you have an not what you dont!

A sense of personal space ( house space was a big thing)

Bakerys

Good continental shops

Fruit and veg markets

The Sun !

The beaches

The hills

The winerys

Great restaurants,cafes, indian food

Proper pizzas

parrots, galahs, cockatoos,dolphins

Christmas in the sun

abitlity to plan bbqs or infact to have impromptu gatherings without worrying about the weather

ease of all the services at hand

a decent size garden that I can enjoy all year not just in the "summer"

proper bathrooms and showers

driving up a road without constantly pulling over to allow traffic through

parking in a driveway and not fighting over parking spaces in your own street

parking without having to pay for it!

public bbq;s and picnic areas

Drive through bottle shops

Drive in movies

friendships that are important as family because they became your family....

friendly service in shops

having your shopping packed in the supermarket!

garage sales!

The list goes on but thats all for now!

A sense of personal space ( house space was a big thing) Check

Bakerys

Good continental shops

Fruit and veg markets

The Sun !

The beaches Check

The hills and the Mountains

The winerys

Great restaurants,cafes, indian food Check

Proper pizzas

parrots, galahs, cockatoos,dolphins

Christmas in the sun ....Christmas yes, but the frostier the better for me

abitlity to plan bbqs or infact to have impromptu gatherings without worrying about the weather -- we are a bit on the anti social side, so impromptu gatherings would be a bit of a minus whatever the weather

ease of all the services at hand

a decent size garden that I can enjoy all year not just in the "summer"- agreed, but for me it is a decent size garden that enjoys all four seasons, and has a summer house which means I can enjoy it rain or shine.

proper bathrooms and showers

driving up a road without constantly pulling over to allow traffic through

parking in a driveway and not fighting over parking spaces in your own street - Check

parking without having to pay for it!- Check, and free prescriptions.

public bbq;s and picnic areas

Drive through bottle shops

Drive in movies

friendships that are important as family because they became your family....Check, nearest family are 200 miles down the road.

friendly service in shops -we get that, honest

having your shopping packed in the supermarket! -Yep, if we want it.

garage sales! - car boot sales for us

The list goes on but thats all for now!

I am not trying to open a UK versus Australia debate, I just thought it interesting that people’s personal sense of contentment is just that – personal, and not necessarily all about the things around them, because you can probably find a lot of them elsewhere if you look. The things I love about living in Wales seem to have a lot in common with the reasons boomerang loves life in Australia.....but that doesn't necessarily mean that either of us would be happy if we swopped countries. I guess folk are just complicated!!?? :rolleyes:

(Apologies to Crimson Petal for going off topic for a moment) Tx

Armed police everywhere

Expensive ADSL

Crap 40 year old trams

overcrowded trains

NOTHING

It's an odd kind of list because so much of it is either avoidable or ignorable. Can't swim in Port Philip Bay? Go to a pool, or the ocean. Don't like Coles/Woolies? Do your shopping at independent stores. Armed police? Do Victorian police make a habit of shooting 'civilians?'

Most people would not even notice but of course once your mindset has moved away from staying and moving forward to going back, every one of those points has changed from molehills to Everests.

boomerang...you seem to have missed pretty much everything about the Aussie way of life! Christmas in the sun though :no:

Sorry, no can do.

tea4too...I'm glad you said that actually because that's exactly what I've come to think, it's all so subjective. As I said to ali, it's that sense of contentment which is so unique to each of us and can't really be quantified.

The power of our shower and the width of the parking spaces. Oh, and the grandkids, I am missing them a little bit. Otherwise nothing at all.

The only thing I will miss will be the bright blue sky, been here 42 years ,went home for 16 months for the first time in 30 years and have now decided that's where I want to spend the rest of my life.

i don't think Ive seen a more beautiful place than England .

The power of our shower and the width of the parking spaces. Oh, and the grandkids, I am missing them a little bit. Otherwise nothing at all.

The only thing I will miss will be the bright blue sky, been here 42 years ,went home for 16 months for the first time in 30 years and have now decided that's where I want to spend the rest of my life.

i don't think Ive seen a more beautiful place than England .

I miss the bright blue sky too but, for me, it is a good miss - hated the harsh brightness along with the wildlife that either woke me up by landing on the tin roof or playing the dawn cacophony at some ungodly hour (and the bloody Koel in the summer! Arg!!!). I have had loads of nice sunny days here in UK over the past 6 months - somehow much more mellow, probably because of the sun being lower in the sky.

Hope your move on to UK is fantastic!

Guest Chantel
Decent pies - with sauce.

Knowing that there's a 7-Eleven always close and that they'll always be open.

Staff in shops who say "How you goin?" as they go through my bag on the way out.

Channels 7, 9, and 10 - Australia enjoys tv which the rest of the world can only envy.

Straightforward choices when it comes to internet providers or airlines.

Footlong Subs - lunch and dinner in a single sandwich. Genius.

VB and Carlton - infinitely superior to all those poncy German, Belgium and Czech lagers and warm english beers.

Chicken salt on my chips. Awesome.

Drowning lizards with my hose in summer. It's tank-water so it's ok.

Being able to call a spade a spade and not having to worry about whether the spade will get offended and call in the Digging Implements Union.

Grand Angus Burgers.

Drive-thru bottle-O's

Big W and Woolworths - Everything you could ever need under one, sorry, two ​roofs.

Calling a spade a spade??? I am offended!