money?

jacquena

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one shocker for me has been the cost of school uniforms in Oz schools as (certainly the primary schools we've looked at anyway) all have personalised bits and bobs and therefore you can't take your TU and ASDA stuff with you/have it sent over. Also, having to pay for books etc. Also, the kids clubs seem dearer than here. It's the little things that the OP should be aware of before making a decision - especially having two kids. Loads of peeps go over with not a lot of money and so very well. Being a scaredy pants I wouldn't, but that's why I'm still stuck in the UK. Good luck to the OP.

I used GoMatilda and they were very good, told me i could do some of it myself and helped me through it. A girl called Rosie sorted us out.

You are supposed to have about £10K in the bank and you will have to say that you do when applying for a state sponsored visa for WA but no proof is needed.

I'm not taking much cash other than a months living allowence and a flat deposit when i go, we just intend to work straight away

There is alot of variables, so what I did was workout my costs before moving

skills assessment, ss, visa, medicals, container, flights

Then start up costs

Short term rental (6 weeks), Food per month, Car, Car Rego, Car Ins, Deposit on House (4 weeks in advance and 4 weeks rent or whatever) Petrol, Days out, School Uniforms and fees,mobile phones.

the first month is the most expensive.

Then the next variable, do you have a job to go to. If so, happy days, do you get monthly or weekly.

If not, how long do you estimate it will take to get one - over estimate to be sure, to be sure!!

Then there are ways to cut corners,

do you have friends you can stay with for a few weeks until you get a rental saving you the short term accommodation (big saving!!).

Do you need a car straight away? I worked in the city and just got accommodation along the line. Very good bus and trainline service!!!

I would recommend doing a list of your real expenditure for your family

I did a excel spreadsheet and then chop and change.

When you do this you get a better idea rather than taking someone else word for it.

By the way, my costing was about 15000 setup costs and have job to go to.

I am far more sensible now with 3 kids, but some years ago I landed back in Perth after travelling and had only a few hundred!!! We were working straightaway so had a week to live on beans and toast and noodles LOL. I look back now and think I was mental!!! I did have money back in the uk though.

Kind Regards

Cazmayo

There is alot of variables, so what I did was workout my costs before moving

skills assessment, ss, visa, medicals, container, flights

Then start up costs

Short term rental (6 weeks), Food per month, Car, Car Rego, Car Ins, Deposit on House (4 weeks in advance and 4 weeks rent or whatever) Petrol, Days out, School Uniforms and fees,mobile phones.

the first month is the most expensive.

Then the next variable, do you have a job to go to. If so, happy days, do you get monthly or weekly.

If not, how long do you estimate it will take to get one - over estimate to be sure, to be sure!!

Then there are ways to cut corners,

do you have friends you can stay with for a few weeks until you get a rental saving you the short term accommodation (big saving!!).

Do you need a car straight away? I worked in the city and just got accommodation along the line. Very good bus and trainline service!!!

I would recommend doing a list of your real expenditure for your family

I did a excel spreadsheet and then chop and change.

When you do this you get a better idea rather than taking someone else word for it.

By the way, my costing was about 15000 setup costs and have job to go to.

I am far more sensible now with 3 kids, but some years ago I landed back in Perth after travelling and had only a few hundred!!! We were working straightaway so had a week to live on beans and toast and noodles LOL. I look back now and think I was mental!!! I did have money back in the uk though.

Kind Regards

Cazmayo

Great advice, Cazmayo.

Having a job to go to and not just assuming/hoping you will get one more or less straight away makes a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...
you can see by some reactions that they dont wont to here the negative & to me that is more scary than anything.Leaving uk with a average family of 4 going to the unknown with little money now that is scary.

Yes it is.... Been there, doing that, reading mr kirk and co's previous hate mail, sorry replies, i see its not just my thread he ghouls on, dont repy mr kirk, you're not worth any more of my time, i've the oz way of life to embrace and live. Hope you too will get the chance, good luck, you'll need it...

Yes it is.... Been there, doing that, reading mr kirk and co's previous hate mail, sorry replies, i see its not just my thread he ghouls on, dont repy mr kirk, you're not worth any more of my time, i've the oz way of life to embrace and live. Hope you too will get the chance, good luck, you'll need it...
Thanks for the good luck but never had to use luck but I will store it up you never know.

Thanks for the good luck but never had to use luck but I will store it up you never know.

I think deep down you do know you'll never make the move to oz, so do us all a favour fella.......please keep your opinions to yourself or just in box the op with your drivellous remarks, as an example see your reply to SHandGH, there is no need, really there isn't.

I think deep down you do know you'll never make the move to oz, so do us all a favour fella.......please keep your opinions to yourself or just in box the op with your drivellous remarks, as an example see your reply to SHandGH, there is no need, really there isn't.
sorry that hearing the truth hurts but we all have to wake up to it at some point. Yes I may never get there but if I do get there it will not be with luck.

sorry that hearing the truth hurts but we all have to wake up to it at some point. Yes I may never get there but if I do get there it will not be with luck.

But who's "truth" is it? Certainly not yours or the hundreds (that passed through PiO) that have moved and made a go of it since you joined the site in Oct 2007. All you have is a theory - which you haven't tested.

I'm not sure whether you ever intended to emigrate but it seems pretty clear to me that, four and a half years after joining this forum and with no plan to emigrate, that you no longer have any intention of emigrating. On other forums, we occasionally meet people who don't know anything about the subject but repeat one or two messages, over and over again. They end up becoming long standing members with high post counts but basically add no value. If anything, they do the opposite by misleading people.

Now surely you wouldn't want people to think you were one of those...

Who assigned you as the truth teller? Ok you carry on doing what you do best, i'll pop back on here in a couple of years to see who you've upset that day, still wondering if luck will turn a different corner and you either get here to oz or win the lottery, the odds are the probably the same. If.... ;)

oh god i cant believe i have started people arguing on here, sorry about that! i just wanted to know from people that have done the move what they took with them, we will be taking 15k anyway but we wont be going unless my fella has a job to walk into i dont want to risk us not finding work so that money should be fine if we are carefull with it?

It's a debate kirk is known for being negative and he thrives on the attention as he gets fed up with counting all his money. Ignore it I did the move with £15k and it worked out fine for me. Just don't go mad when you get here that's all. You might struggle getting a job from the uk as well we came out with no work, risky? Maybe but 3 months later we are both working and loving it over here.

oh god i cant believe i have started people arguing on here, sorry about that! i just wanted to know from people that have done the move what they took with them, we will be taking 15k anyway but we wont be going unless my fella has a job to walk into i dont want to risk us not finding work so that money should be fine if we are carefull with it?

Do you have friends here? I applied for about 60 jobs whilst still in the uk, 99% of them said they dont give jobs until you're on their doorstep knocking asking for work in the flesh, yes a lot of it is left to chance but its only the same in the uk regarding jobs, i mean if you lost your jobs there what would you do? Whatever it is you would do would be exactly what you would do here, read my post on how i got here then in box me for any questions i may be able to help you with, no not you mr kirk ;)

Isnt this site supposed to help people??? not to critise...

Congratulations Murky on your achievement, like you we will be counting the pennies when we come over simply because we dont want to dip into our savings. we will hopefully be there late summer (UK) we originally wanted to go next year after our eldest had finished his GCSEs and saved some money, but decided we could be here forever because we will never really how much is enough... the exchange rate may go even lower if we put it off for a year...you just dont know what is around the corner and were not prepared to sit and wonder...