Moving from Adelaide to Brisbane

kacymru

Hello everybody!

I hope you're all well. My partner and I will be moving to Brisbane in March and, since neither of us have ever lived their before, we're wondering what to expect and if you lovely people have any recommendations for places to visit/ things to do there?

My partner is from Adelaide (born and bred) and I'm from Wales, UK. We don't have any children and are both 28 & 30 (respectively).

Any suggestions would be most helpful, and equally if there's anyone moving to Adelaide then feel free to ask for more information; we're happy to help :biggrin:

Guest Guest16631

.............will list a few.......South bank

.........................................Lone pine koala sanctuary

..........................................Australia zoo

...........................................Mt Cootha

..........................................Roma st parklands

..........................................china town

..........................................Brisbane Botanical gardens

...........................................Story Bridge

...........................................City hall

.............................................Castlemaine Brewery

..............................................Gabba cricket grounds

...............................................Queen st mall ,Fortitude valley and it's markets

.................................................Australian woodshed............

So lots to google and have a look...............loads more..............but these are a few of the popular ones........ Have fun ......good luck ....tink x

Just be aware that if thinking that all of Australia will be the same except maybe bigger and busier dont be fooled. I lived in Adelaide for over twenty years and this was my assumption when we moved from the UK to Brisbane. It couldnt be more different in every respect and quite a shock to say the least. Coming back from the UK the last thing I worried about was that I was heading to a new city, I just thought it would be pretty similar only busier and bigger I had no idea that it would feel like a completley different country!! It was like I had never been here before!! Living in Melbourne now and the feeling here is different again but a very positive different!!

Ig Going to Brisbane I would look as close to the city as you can afford or one of the beach towns such as Sandgate as you have all that you need and are not too out of the way.....there will be a bit of life around you. Dont forget that Brisbane does not have daylight saving and in summer will still be dark by just after 6 which makes your days feel short especially if not getting home from work until then. Good luck

Thanks for the insight Boomerang!

I wasn't aware of the lack of daylight saving, luckily, coming from Wales, I'm prepared for anything that involves rain, clouds and sheep (they do have sheep in Brisi don't they??? Ha ha)

Seriously, though, it's good to hear about the not-so-great aspects of a city....what is it they say? "Prepare for the worst but hope for/ expect the best"?

Anyone else got any good advice? x

One thing that has not been mentioned that you are sure to find different is the humidity. Coming from Wales and then Adelaide, you won't have experienced anything like it.

If you are renting maybe a place with a pool would be advisable - It really helps to cool off in the summer.

Living on a hill really helps in the summer too and aircon in my opinion is a must.

That said the winters are beautiful - just like British summer days. As you are coming in March the heat will be dying off and the best months of the year will be greeting you.

As a city Brisbane is very nice - Commute times can be high if you are out of the city a little way. But as was mentioned Sandgate, Brighton and Shorncliffe are nice areas by the bay. If you like forest then The Gap might be worth a try. If it's shopping that floats your boat then Cherside or Upper Mount Gravatt should be considerations.

Sorry just kinda poured out my brain - ask something more specific if you like :)

For a picnic.............lake Samsonvale, Lake Kurwongbah....................and further out Lakes, Wivenhoe, Somerset and Cressbrook...............Cressbrook is small but is well worth the visit for the wild roos and deer that hang around the picnic area................you need a $2 coin to let yourself in................very strange?