Can I ship my dog?

cki2011

Hello Bob

We have a Bichon Frise he is 30 months old now. He started having fits around 4 months ago, he has had a CAT scan, blood test and fluid from his neck area etc that confirmed he has epilepsy. My question is can he fly with his condition as he has pills (epifen & libromide) at 9am and again at 9pm to help to control the fits. Would he be looked after and checked on regularly and will he be given his medication on time so as not to upset his routine. Also would it cost more to send him with his condition?

Kind regards

Dave

Dear CKI2011

This is super tricky and there is no way to give the medication halfway during the flight, which is the problem. It depends really on how well your dog is stabilised on the medication and how many fits he or she currently has. If the pets are having regular fits even while still on medication then flying them is not recommended, but if the fits are infrequent, then we can fly your dog. The problem is the medication which is needed every 12 hours goes below the level needed to stop fits after 12 hours, so in theory there is a risk your dog will fit after 12 hours of the journey. The good bit is your dog is also on libromide which has a much longer lasting time, so this will help prevent fits.

We have flown an epileptic dog to NZ and worried about him the whole way, but he was fine.

It is as simple as - well controlled then yes we can, poorly controlled then we should not fly your dog.

Please fee very free to call us about this, i tend to gabble on, but i am really happy to chat this through if that is easier.

Bob

Dear CKI2011

This is super tricky and there is no way to give the medication halfway during the flight, which is the problem. It depends really on how well your dog is stabilised on the medication and how many fits he or she currently has. If the pets are having regular fits even while still on medication then flying them is not recommended, but if the fits are infrequent, then we can fly your dog. The problem is the medication which is needed every 12 hours goes below the level needed to stop fits after 12 hours, so in theory there is a risk your dog will fit after 12 hours of the journey. The good bit is your dog is also on libromide which has a much longer lasting time, so this will help prevent fits.

We have flown an epileptic dog to NZ and worried about him the whole way, but he was fine.

It is as simple as - well controlled then yes we can, poorly controlled then we should not fly your dog.

Please fee very free to call us about this, i tend to gabble on, but i am really happy to chat this through if that is easier.

Bob

Hello Bob

Thank you for getting back to us, Providing we could get his fits under control do you have a rough figure for shipping him to perth.

Just a thought we have seen the feeding bowels that can be set on a timer to open at meal times could we put one of those in with him with his pills hidden in some treats set to open at the time of his medication.

Thanks

Dave & Carmel