Litter

Liz Steve R

Has anyone else noticed the huge amount of empty beer bottles and plastic drinks containers abandoned along the side of the roads? I live in Rockingham and every major road seems to be blighted. We went to Shark Bay and I was appalled that even at a World Heritage Site people still seem to throw their rubbish out of their windows, which may keep your car clean and tidy but spoils the otherwise beautiful landscape!

What are peoples thoughts?

Guest The Pom Queen

We have always been extremely lucky in Melbourne and Cairns as we never see litter on the ground, well maybe the odd thing that may have been dropped by accident but nothing like what you are describing, it sounds like the local council need to pull their finger out.

I've noticed alot more since I was here 2 years ago. I'm amazed at the amount of glass given the bush fire risk.

I was at macdonalds a few weeks back ,loads of bins but the young lad , decided to throw his wrapper out of the car window. Of course I politely advised him he had dropped something and passed it him back.

I blame the Brits to be honest

I am not sure who is to blame but I know WA has the worst littering record in Australia, I lived here 13 years ago and the place was spotless. I work on Garden Island which is off limits to the general public and I have picked up empty bottles there as well! Glad to here Melbourne and Cairns are litter free!

All countrys should adopt singapore's laws on littering, of coarse they won't, so the problem will just get worse.

1st Time Offender for minor litter (eg. cigarette butts, sweet wrapers, bus tickets) = SGD 300

2nd Time Offender & subsequent (or 1st Time offender for major litter ie. anything bigger than a can of Coke) = SGD 500 and court attendance may be required with judges having an option of concurrently ordering a "Corrective Work Order" a.k.a "CWO".

ps. CWO is design to humilate offenders by asking them to clean up dirty estates or beaches while doning lumnious jackets bearing "CWO" insignia. Media will be invited to cover the event and such coverages will sometimes be covered in local news.

I see people littering all the time. Especially school kids at lunchtime as they leave the school grounds and head to the fish and chips van or bakery then drop a trail of litter on their way back to school. Or thrown from cars park outside of McDonalds, even when there are bins nearby, even a young mum and 5 yo daughter walking along with their crisps and both thrown the packet straight on the ground at the same time.

From my house I also look over a park where many people walk there dogs. We used to walk our dog there before she passed away and ALWAYS picked up her poo. But over 90% of dogs that are walked there poop and their owners do not pick up after them.

The only difference is between my experience and Liz Steve R's is that ... I'm still in the UK !

Guest guest17301

I find it unbelievable and completely irresponsible when I see littering. The number of times Ive seen people toss things out of car windows!! Where do these people get off, where are their morals...they have no shame. i cant get my head around it, makes me cringe. Dirty feckers. You can imagine what their homes look like. I toss apple cores etc thats all...biodegradeable see! I couldnt live with myself if i dropped anything else...its our responsibility to keep the place clean....some people just dont give a....I suppose

Back in the uk we lived in the countryside, it was always depressing to see litter so quite often we used to take a plastic bag on our walks and pick up litter near our home.........some people thought we were mad but,our theory was that if say 5% of the population were litter bugs that leaves 95% decent folk to pick it up.....so not much if we all did our bit......not so easy on the side of busy roads i know.

Dont know why they do it tbh,i can only put it down to being bone idle,i see it all the time,i have my break in my car in work to get away from building talk/get some piece and quiet,and all i do is keep carrier bags in the car,throw wrappers and newspapers etc in the bags,leave them in the passenger footwell and bin them when i get home,its not hard is it?!

Guest The Pom Queen

I think each year the local school should have all students taking part in a clean up and graffiti removal program, if they had to scrub walls etc whilst still young it may make them think twice before doing either.

Dont know why they do it tbh,i can only put it down to being bone idle,i see it all the time,i have my break in my car in work to get away from building talk/get some piece and quiet,and all i do is keep carrier bags in the car,throw wrappers and newspapers etc in the bags,leave them in the passenger footwell and bin them when i get home,its not hard is it?!

Too easy for some mate:rolleyes:

Guest guest17301

I think its down to your upbringing to be honest...your mindset. Unfortunately a minority of society think its OK to toss your **** out of windows and into other peoples gardens. You wonder what else theyre up to...

I joined the KABC, not sure how effective it will be, have not caught anyone in the act yet! Also I think fines do not do anything, it is so hard and time consuming to catch any one in the act. I just wish people had the sense not to do it in the first place.

Is nice to know there are other people who feel the same!!

I started a thread last week about the disgusting state of the road sides here in England and how it seems to have got worse the last few years, i wonder if it is down to less council workers cleaning up or down to filthy individuals who have no respect for our beautiful countryside and have the attitude that it is not there problem and down to somebody else to clear up. I was in Milton Keynes yesterday afternoon taking my 13 year old to winter cricket nets and i went to the local shopping arcade and it was absolutely disgusting with rubbish simply everywhere, and this was right in the middle of a housing estate where you would think the locals would maybe get together and try to do something about it, i know i would if i lived there, like brother pablo i collect all my rubbish in the truck all week put it into a bag tie the end and put it into my wheelie bin, it aint hard.

Guest The Pom Queen
I joined the KABC, not sure how effective it will be, have not caught anyone in the act yet! Also I think fines do not do anything, it is so hard and time consuming to catch any one in the act. I just wish people had the sense not to do it in the first place.

Is nice to know there are other people who feel the same!!

What's the KABC?

I started a thread last week about the disgusting state of the road sides here in England and how it seems to have got worse the last few years, i wonder if it is down to less council workers cleaning up or down to filthy individuals who have no respect for our beautiful countryside and have the attitude that it is not there problem and down to somebody else to clear up. I was in Milton Keynes yesterday afternoon taking my 13 year old to winter cricket nets and i went to the local shopping arcade and it was absolutely disgusting with rubbish simply everywhere, and this was right in the middle of a housing estate where you would think the locals would maybe get together and try to do something about it, i know i would if i lived there, like brother pablo i collect all my rubbish in the truck all week put it into a bag tie the end and put it into my wheelie bin, it aint hard.

Andy I reckon it`s down to lack of respect for our surroundings and a general selfish attitude - not just from youngsters either. We seem to have become a very "I`m alright Jack" society, with no thought for anything outside our own little bubbles.

What's the KABC?

Keep Australia Beautiful. You can become a litter lout reporter, thats if you can catch anyone lol. Not sure how effective it is though am dying to catch someone in the act, although I think I would lose it and over react!

I know how bad it is in the UK for litter, I thought that was a thing of the past now I was living here in WA but unfortunately not.

I think its down to your upbringing to be honest...your mindset. Unfortunately a minority of society think its OK to toss your **** out of windows and into other peoples gardens. You wonder what else theyre up to...

Completely agree :yes:

I would be absolutely heartbroken if any of mine were littering. One of my parental mantra's has been "you don't want to grow up living in a dustbin!"

The first thing we noticed on arrival here was how little litter there was.........................17yrs on and in places it's beginning to look like blackpool promenade in the height of the holiday season..................the only difference being that it's maccas cups and boxes and not fish and chip wrappers.

The most annoying thing about it is the council mowers come along and cut the nature strip and chew the cups and other rubbish up at the same time......................the whole lot goes down the storm drains and out into moreton bay and then into turtles gobs................infuriates the hell out of me!

Australia Holds an annual, clean up Australia day, it's held on the first Sunday in March, with many clubs and community members taking part. KABC have programs that are used in the Schools. There does seem to be a problem surrounding McDonald stores, my local store always has plenty of wrappers and cups blowing around, I think McDonalds are supposed to have regular litter pick ups from around the stores, don't think it's happening.

I have been a memeber of KABC for quite a few years now and have reported quite a few people for littering, mainly cigarette butts thrown out of a car window, the more reporters there are the more fines will be sent and hopefully will discourge people from littering. SA and the NT are the only 2 that don't have a 'dob in' program.