How do you buy UK flights from Australia

blobby1000

I think the reason is that there are only 25+ million Australians compared to 500+ million Europeans. Airlines need to fill their planes to capacity - they can only do this by offering cheaper fares to Europeans. Their fares reflect the need of the business and the availbility of passengers.

Also keep in mind that when you step on a plane you'll be lucky if anyone has paid the same fare - anyone who has tried to get a short-notice flight for a family emergency will know what I am talking about, or a one way ticket - I recently paid $2000 for a Syd-Singapore return, I am sure there would have been passengers on the plane going on to London who had paid less and were going further.

Unfortunately, flights aren't priced per km like the Italian rail system.

Cheers.

I get paid less in Australia than I did in the UK doing a similar job. Does that mean an airline will charge you and me different prices because we earn different amounts? Why do they even quote a dollar price when in fact they would make international comparisons easier if they quoted a percentage of a person's salary?

They're using the same staff and resources both in the air and on the ground, so why does the absolute cost change so wildly? They don't pay their staff more if the flight from Brisbane to Dubai is full of Australia people on the first leg of their journey compared to it being full of Brits on their return flight to the Uk, so the cost of putting the plane in the air is the same irrespective.

What about the poor buggers who aren't Australian and have to book a flight from Australia? If youa re from the Uk, earn money in the UK, but booka return flight from AUS to the UK and back, you still need to pay the AUS prices. The same goes vice versa, If you are Australian, work in Australia but want to book a return from UK/AUS/UK then you are fortunate enough to pay the UK price.

I think there are only two possible reasons for the shocking price difference: 1) Taxes on airline ticket sales. Not sure what the tax is, but can't imagine it means a flight from AUS to the UK is double the price of the opposite direction; 2) The airlines are profiteering because Australians are used to being paying over the odds for goods and services when most of the rest of the world pays less.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, flights aren't priced per km like the Italian rail system.

This is the key point. Airlines charge the fares that they think will generate the biggest profits (or the lowest losses) on any particular route. They are about generating business and accessing markets, not about creating a fairer and better world.

Guest proud2beaussie

Basically airfares ex Australia are higher because the airlines know that is what the market will bear-Australians pay higher fares because exactly that-they pay them,also the

market in Europe is so much bigger,and no there is no way to purchase fares ex Australia in European currency because they will ticket ex Australia.

Best way is to keep an eye on sales and fly at off peak times of the year.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flying framer

In a nutshell it costs twice as much to fly from OZ to UK as it does to start your trip in UK

The only way I can think to beat the system is to buy a one way using someone like Air Asia ( not stopped) and then buy a return ticket in UK, but you need to be able to plane well ahead to know your next return date to UK - maybe up to 11 months ahead.

Not easy , but possible with careful planing

Thanks for all your very helpful replies.

I think the key point is that if the exchange rate was 1-2.5 as it used to be then the prices would be the same. The airline wont decrease the $ price just because the pound is doing badly. Having said that, BA will make 1500 quid a flight from us in Australia and only 700 pounds from the Brits in the Uk for the exact same seat on the same flight, which is ridiculous.

I think we will buy 2 x singles, paying for the return leg in the UK..... Unless anyone can convince me the China airline is ok?? Anyone flown with them?

dunno to be honest, i phoned them explained that my wife needed to get home for a family emergency and that is what they came back with , i gave them rough dates as we were flexible and that is what they said, you have me worried now will check the credit card balance online to make sure i've not c*cked up :-(

you missed your 'LOVING FREMANTLE' on this post..thought i better let you know.:tongue:

One thing to remember is that peak travel times from each country will be different. So, if you're looking at flights from Australia to the UK in say July, it will be peak fares as it's summer in the UK, whereas not many people in the UK would want to travel to Australia at the same time because it's winter.

Similarly, travel to the UK from Australia will be relatively cheap in January because the weather's crap, whereas from the UK to Oz it's peak fares because everyone wants to escape the cold.

One thing to remember is that peak travel times from each country will be different. So, if you're looking at flights from Australia to the UK in say July, it will be peak fares as it's summer in the UK, whereas not many people in the UK would want to travel to Australia at the same time because it's winter.

Similarly, travel to the UK from Australia will be relatively cheap in January because the weather's crap, whereas from the UK to Oz it's peak fares because everyone wants to escape the cold.

I think flying from the UK to Australia in the middle of the year is the second most expensive time to fly as its the European summer holidays. You certainly won't find the leg from the UK to Aus very cheap and depending on when you fly back you could be paying as much as £1500-1600.

Thanks for all your very helpful replies.

I think the key point is that if the exchange rate was 1-2.5 as it used to be then the prices would be the same. The airline wont decrease the $ price just because the pound is doing badly. Having said that, BA will make 1500 quid a flight from us in Australia and only 700 pounds from the Brits in the Uk for the exact same seat on the same flight, which is ridiculous.

I think we will buy 2 x singles, paying for the return leg in the UK..... Unless anyone can convince me the China airline is ok?? Anyone flown with them?

Two single tickets is unlikely to be the cheapest option. Why wouldn't you fly with a Chinese airline?

Sorry...I am not being argumentative...but it keeps getting said that the prices are high in Oz to UK....cos the Australians will wear it......just a thought but isn't it the poms that do most of the flying to and fro Uk??? Most Ozzys I know go Asia way for holidays.

mmm Good observation, they do, and it's cheap as chips to go to Asia.:yes:

I would be very reluctant to fly with the Chinese airline as it stops 3 times and takes about 2 days! We have two kids aged 5 and 2....I would rather find another option!!!!

Thinking about it......in 2000 I flew return to Australia from UK for 800 pounds.

I then needed to book a flight back from Australia to England return later in 2000...I recall it was 900 pounds (at that time that was 2300 dollars).

So basically the price of flights has stayed the same, its just that the exchange rate has changed and things seem more expensive here!!

It just pains me to pay 2200 dollars when I know it costs 700 quid for the same seat!!!!

Just gotta stop converting the dollars I guess.. if we convert then our rent is more, groceries more, cars more, beer more...house more...but we earn more and as I say it costs the same for a flight out of Australia now as it did in 2000 so I guess I gotta just book the thing!

Guest littlesarah
Oh my, I was thinking of me and hubby going over for christmas, but we sure will not be able to afford that much !!!

I'm looking into visiting the UK at Christmas - so far best price is around $2500 per person. I'm hoping that I might be able to find a cheaper flight in the next couple of months - if I do I'll post the details on here. Otherwise, if you can go in Jan instead, or a couple of weeks before Christmas and come back before New Year (or just after) you might find a better deal (I did when I was looking, but we can't go until a few days before Christmas Day thanks to my employer).

If I manage to find a good deal I'll post the details (like I did last year when I got a cheapo return in January).

You cant "cheat" the system.

Ticket MUST always be used as issued so if you purchase a LONDON - SYDNEY - LONDON you cannot reverse it and use it SYDNEY-LONDON-SYDNEY. No matter who you are or whether you book online, through a travel agent in OZ or in the UK or directly with the airlines you cannot use air tickets in reverse.

Airlines use the countries economy, wages and weather seasons to determine airfare levels which is why it is cheaper to buy an airfare LONDON-SYDNEY-LONDON than SYDNEY-LONDON-SYDNEY - of course this will depend on the travel dates and the travel seasons.

If you buy two return tickets at one time - as an example SYDNEY-LONDON SYDNEY and another LONDON-SYDNEY-LONDON. The travel seasons are different for fares originating in Australia - as an example

and say you want to go travel to the UK in March and also go back to the UK for christmas but airfares Sydney - London is December are high season - really expensive, so.......combine two fares.

Buy a fare SYDNEY - LONDON - SYDNEY, Sydney - London in March (low season) and the LONDON-SYDNEY leg to return to OZ after christmas ie 5 JAN. Then buy another ticket LONDON-SYDNEY-LONDON, London - Sydney for travel in April and Sydney - London for say 20 december. This way you pay two LOW SEASON airfares but get to travel in high season. So you would have

SYDNEY - LONDON in March 2012

LONDON - SYDNEY in January 2013

second ticket

LONDON - SYDNEY in April 2012

SYDNEY - LONDON in December 2012

Airfare season are always based on the first travel date and not the second/return leg.

A travel agent here in OZ or in the UK can sell you a fare commencing/starting from any city in the world. The fare is quoted in the originating countries currency and converted to local currency to pay i.e. LONDON - SYDNEY - LONDON can be bought here in Australia at the UK lower fare but converted to Aussie dollars for payment.

Hope this makes sense and help some of you guys out.

EXAMPLE: Try this?

Book a return flight from London-Perth Oct 2012, to return Oct 2013. (example, a 2 week stay) A year's return ticket, can only be done contacting preferred airline though, NOT ON THE INTERNET.

When you are ready to go back to Perth after your 2 week stay, and if you want to visit Uk every year, book another return ticket London-Perth and so on.

This way, you book your return tickets in the UK and pay in £.

This what i have been told you can do anyway, hope it makes sense?

EXAMPLE: Try this?

Book a return flight from London-Perth Oct 2012, to return Oct 2013. (example, a 2 week stay) A year's return ticket, can only be done contacting preferred airline though, NOT ON THE INTERNET.

When you are ready to go back to Perth after your 2 week stay, and if you want to visit Uk every year, book another return ticket London-Perth and so on.

This way, you book your return tickets in the UK and pay in £.

This what i have been told you can do anyway, hope it makes sense?

this will work, but you are committed to buying a return ticket from the UK to Oz every year from here until eternity. I'd say there are very few that return to the UK each and every year.

Guest flying framer

The guys above who explain how to buy 2 returns one originating in OZ and the second in UK are spot on.

The fact remains that there must be some kind of collusion between airlines if it still costs double to fly with trips that start in OZ.

Qatar Airways have just started flights to/from Perth. In todays UK press they offer flights to OZ at GBP 749 = AUD approx 1150

Check out how much to fly starting in Perth and its around AUD 2350 - which is more than double!! To me that stinks of airlines colluding to keep prices high.

What I did notice though is that Qatar have some very reasonable single fares around the AUD 1370 mark. So if you can plan ahead then book a single to UK and a return from UK back - but you need to be well organised. If you can do this then you are able to keep buying the 1/2 price tickets in UK money.

You will get 2 flights for the price of one.

If you can fly from UK to OZ for AUD 1150 return - then its clearly one huge rip off to pay over twice this to start the journey in OZ.

It needs Virgin to come and put on some cheaper fares, and it wont be long before the others have to price match.

As someone has mentioned before it is not a rip off - it is the exchange rate that is screwing this up. The price from Oz to Uk is what I paid 6 or 7 years ago so hasn't really changed - only the exchange rate has changed. At one time when the exchange rate was the other way it was way more expensive to buy a ticket UK to Oz.

• Like 1

Hi Peach,

Thanks for your reply, my husband is willing to do this as he wants our son to see grandparents as often as possible. Think his parents may also help pay for the flights as they will never fly, ever.

So i guess we have the best of both worlds. :cool: