How do you buy UK flights from Australia

blobby1000

We live in melbourne and I have been having a look at flights home to the UK.

If we buy a return flight with Emerates it costs $2200

However, when I looked at how much the exact same flight is but booked starting out in London it is 800 pounds return. This is $1150.

So it's twice as much to pay in dollars for the exact same seats.

We have UK bank account. Does anyone know any way of buying these seats from the UK? Can someone in the Uk purchase them starting out in Australia?

What has anyone else done when booking flights home. I am very reluctant to pay $2200 when I know the seats are available for half that.

Thanks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really unusual because the usual response is that return flights originating in Australia are required to be dealt with by an Australian agent - hence the Australian prices. Dont know whether you just got someone who didnt know the rules or there really is a way around it but there are many threads on here in the past (check out NigelinOz, an Australian travel agent) who explained the rationale over and over and it was always said that you would pay Aussie prices for flights originating in Australia

dunno to be honest, i phoned them explained that my wife needed to get home for a family emergency and that is what they came back with , i gave them rough dates as we were flexible and that is what they said, you have me worried now will check the credit card balance online to make sure i've not c*cked up :-(

Guest guest17301

If you find you've only paid $1100 or so please let me know...Ive looked into this in the past too....you can't play the system or so I thought!

Quoll's quite right. IATA rules are that air tickets must be priced at the levels established for the country where the trip originates. Thus, when you buy a ticket from Perth to London, whether one-way or round-trip, you pay the price established in Australian dollars.

You can book the ticket from anywhere and pay in any currency you like but it should still be the local (AUD price) converted to the currency you want to pay in.

Maybe the agent didn't know what they were doing - or maybe they just gave you a massive discount on the Australian fare? Are you sure your ticket is Perth/London/Perth? Or is it London/Perth/London? :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
We rang our old Thomas cook shop in the uk got flights with emirates in march perth to London gatwick and return £735 all in.

Loving Fremantle!

Is that each?

Guest The Pom Queen
We are shopping for return flights for October. Cheapest so far....$1995. EACH

That is ridiculous especially when you have a family, you are looking at $10,000 before you even organise accommodation etc

Well my maths is rubbish I admit, but surely it seems such bad value because the £ is doing so badly against the $ Its not a rip off its just that the Aussie Dollar is strong and the Pound week. I mean a few years ago the exchange rate would have been 3 to 1 so a £800 flight would equal $2400 so its not Australia's fault its the poor pound Austalia has not suddenly put the prices up. Or am I completely wrong

Well my maths is rubbish I admit, but surely it seems such bad value because the £ is doing so badly against the $ Its not a rip off its just that the Aussie Dollar is strong and the Pound week. I mean a few years ago the exchange rate would have been 3 to 1 so a £800 flight would equal $2400 so its not Australia's fault its the poor pound Austalia has not suddenly put the prices up. Or am I completely wrong

No, it's not the exchange rate per se although that plays into it of course, but Nigel explained that it was the market demand that made prices higher out of Australia combined with taxes etc (although I would have thought they were universal no matter where you booked your ticket). Aussies are just prepared to pay more to escape!

If you find you've only paid $1100 or so please let me know...Ive looked into this in the past too....you can't play the system or so I thought!

The only way I can think of to game the system is if you travel to the UK more than once a year. Then you can buy a single to London and then get returns from London to Australia. But unless you know your dates firmly in advance, you'd end up getting full fare Y which would defeat the object of getting cheap tickets.

FWIW, the cheapest Melbourne to London return fares that I am finding now are with Continental via Los Angeles.