Are extra carpentry qualifications needed to work in Australia?

jamiearnold

Hi All!

I will be coming to Australia in a years time firstly to travel and then hopefully to settle and work as a carpenter. I have a level 3 NVQ and will have 5 years experience. I have been told I need a certificate 3 in order to get sponsored but would like to know if it is essential to pay the £2000 he asked for to get the new qualification or if I will be ok with what I have?

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!

Jamie

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jamie

I would chat with someone from TAFE and see if they can RPL you through the Cert III based on the experience you already have.

• 1 month later...

Hi Moving to Melbourne,

Do you know of any way to get skills recongised before leaving England? TAFE seem to need you in the country, they have advised going through vetassess but working holiday visas dont come under the criteria..

Many thanks

Jamie

Jamie, it depends on where you are wanting to move to; in Qld you need a licence for contracting work so a cert III is essential. You can work for a licenced chippy until you get your cert III which will also get you a referance and experiance how they work here as it differs to the UK. You will have to know about the Building codes of AU and AU standards, this may be a little tricky from the UK and I have not heard of anybody getting the cert abroad. Correct me if anyone has had RPL from overseas. The other states have different rules and the regions up here have different cyclone ratings which builders from southern states have to recap their knowledge. I hope this helps