Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi again,

You classed my 05 Audi A3 as category B, albeit borderline because of the low mileage, thanks for the info. I've now had it valued at about £6-6.5k here, and am still looking at the high cost of getting something to replace it in Perth. What are the (rough) costs of actually getting it there - your fee ($990?), $1000 workshop costs (is that correct), is there an import permit cost on top? And how much would shipping be, roughly, from the UK to Perth, and would this be in a container or what? Is RoRo actually on the deck of a ship??? And does that take the usual 6-8 weeks to travel therefore we'd be looking at 3 months without the car?

Thanks very much.

Hi Iron Chef, We have a 2009 Audi A4 3.0 tdi quattro (manual) with circa 50,000 miles. It has all the options, leather heated seats, sun roof, air co, sat nav etc. UK price if we were to hand to dealer, probably £15,000. I can't see a similar spec model in Oz, although Audi's do appear to be expensive.One other question, if you currently have dealer finance on the car is that still sufficient for actually 'owning' the car to meet the customs requirements?Really interested as to whether it stacks up, otherwise we will hand the car back (clause in the contract where we can now hand it back with 50% total finance paid) and just use the money to save until we're out there. However, don't want to do that if it doesn't make financial sense in the long run!:wacko:Thanks, Inge

Ok apologies for the delays guys, had a quick trip to hospital for minor stuff!

I know the answer is no already, but just want you to put me out of my misery... :cry:I have an 05 plate Saab 9-5 estate diesel with 110,000 miles on the clock. I assume that a) cos it is so high mileage and b) Saab are no longer with us (RIP :cry: ) and c) the car is basically worth the square root of bu55er all, I should basically "lose" it (as no-one is going to nick it :laugh:)

If I was staying in the UK, I would either run it into the ground or wait for it to gain classic car status :embarrassed:

Shame as she is a great car, have no finance on it, she is in good condidtion, given us no problems & it suits us down to the ground. I love rocking up to work in it amongst all the Beamers & Audis clones. :jimlad:

I guess the cost/ supply of Saab parts going forward really rule out us considering bringing it over.

BTS

It sounds like you've talked yourself into bringing it over already ;) If it owes you nothing, then it's probably worth considering, especially if you love it. For what it's worth, there is a VERY active Saab community in Oz, parts won't be a problem at all.

HI

Can you help with vehicles that you havent owned for a year and that wouldnt go through the PIS ?

I have a classic motorcycle I would like to take that is worth about £5-6000 (triumph custom T100)

I also have a newer bike worth about £5000 and again not owned them for a year (fireblade 2007)

what would be the cost and is it worth while?

I can and have done a variety of bikes - here's one that has just landed for a customer of mine:

[h=6]http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-cafe-racer-4[/h]Shoot me an email and I'll look into the Fireblade. Make sure you find me some local market values via Redbook too so I can work out if it's worth it.

Hello Iron Chef, we have a 2008 Mazda 5 TS2 (7 seater MPV) 1.8 petrol, aircon, realistic UK price £7000, cant find it in redbook, is it worth bringing?

The 5 was sold here as the Premacy, but not in the model you've got. It's a tough one, but without calculating, I'd put it in Category B because it's only worth bringing if you plan to keep using it for a fair while.

Hi can you tell us if you think it is worth taking our car out please:

Mitsubishi '04' plate Grandis Warrior

2.4 petrol with air con

Uk value - £4000 - £4500

Oz value - $14000 - $16500

mileage - 75000 miles

Many thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle - based on those figures, it's a Category A.

Hi just posted above and then went on your site, cant believe how cheap you are compared to other quotes we have had!! Can you also tell us if our van is worth bring over as we had no intentions bringing it due to cost:

Volkswagon transporter T30

purchased brand new - September 2011

Mileage - 6000 miles

has air conditioning

UK value - £18000 approx

Oz value - on RB it is shown as a tray back, which its not?

Thank you

Michelle

Hi again, yes definitely worth bringing over. Bear in my prices are cost price PLUS my broker's fee ;)

Hi Ironchef

I was recommended your page by the moderator so Im here to ask a couple of questions, if u can help and just basically pick your brains. I emigrate to Melbourne on the 16th April and want to send my car over in the next couple of weeks really

Not as much asking if its worth bringin my car out or not because as its definitely coming ;) My enquiry is more on the lines of if you had any ideas on agents clearing it at Melbourne if I sent it RoRo from Newcastle or Southampton. Or you knew of good and/or bad agents to send it across with?

Its a BMW M5 2005 (but 2006 spec), 58000 miles, FULL leather interior; inc dash and FULL doors, heated and aircooled seats and many other options (18k worth of options when purchased). Value in the UK now will be around 19k and the redbook value gives between 65-73 AUD. The car is mint... with a couple of stone chips on the roof above the windscreen.. thats it!

Thanks for your help

Antony

Hi Antony, if I haven't already got a PM from you waiting in my inbox, shoot me an email via the website below. For what it's worth, it's most definitely worth bringing.

Hi Iron Chef,

Still on the fence about bringing my car as I could do with the capital ahead of the eventual move, but here goes:

2006 Lotus Elise 111R, 12000 miles, no aircon.

UK value: £17,500 approx

RedBook: $35,000

Thanks in advance for the info!

Neil.

Hi Neil, that's a Category B. Obviously still fetching good money in the UK!

HI, I've found this thread after desperately trying to work out whether we should ship our cars over to australia, could you please help?!

:biggrin:

We have:

2009 Mitsubishi L200 (called a Triton in Oz)

Diesel, 2.5ltr, air con, 4 door double cab version with seats in back as well as front

35000 miles

Uk Price £11500

Red book about $33000

and...

2007 Ford Focus Style 1.6ltr petrol automatic

39000 miles, air con etc,

Uk Price £4500

Red book around $21000

What do you think? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Category A for the L200, but leave the Focus behind unless you really love it - the 1.6 litre engine won't win you friend when you come to sell it here (we only got the 2.0 litre engine)

Hi,

The service described on your website sounds great. We had pretty much abandoned plans to bring our beloved Subaru. Which group would you place it in, although I think we'll go ahead anyway! It's also got new brakes and suspension - does that make any difference?

1 - Subaru impreza WRX AWD turbo 2.0l petrol, 54k miles, aircon present

2 - £4000

3 - AUS$17000

Thanks, Fiona

You'd be about $3500 in front, and I just replied to your email too!

hi iron chef

Iv posted before on this but didnt put the exact model so here goes

Kia carens(rio) 2009 2.0l diesel Crdi 7 seater 28000 miles. uk price approx 7k, aus approx $16-$18k

It's saying category B, but I'd suggest leaving it there.

Hi there - can I ask a quick question please? Do you have to have owned/used the car for 12 months? Can you still personally import a car even if you havent and pay GST or something? Cheers

Hi Jeff, yes you can, I might do a write up for other import schemes at some stage and add it on here, in the meantime just send me an email via the website.

Hi Iron Chef

I cannot find my exact car on aus redbook closest is 3.2 petrol averaging at 40k aud

AUDI A6 TDI SE AVANT

2.O AUTOMATIC DIESEL

AIR CON

65K MILES

£12500 NORTHERN IRELAND

CHEERS

Based on those figures, well into Category A.

Hi

Wondering if it will be worth bringing hubbies beloved Honda

Honda Accord 2008 - built in sat nav, part leather, parking sensors, reverse camera, climate control, air con.

2.2 Diesel Manual

45,000 approx

£12,500 UK value

$44,990 AU value from redbook valuation.

That's new value, current is closer to $27K, at that mark it scrapes in as a B. A manual diesel won't be a big seller when the time comes though, so he better keep it for a while.

hi ironchef

jag s-type SE 2002

aircon

2.5 petrol auto

150000km

£1.5k-2k approx UK

$12-14 AU

got full extra pack and harman kardan complete sound upgrade

Category A, based on those figures.

Hi Ironchef

Could you tell us if it would be worth taking my partners Mini cabrio over

2011 Mini One cabrio (Pepper Pack)

Air Con etc

1.6 petrol

8K miles on clock

UK prices probably £12K-£14K

Redbook.com.au prices seem to be $34K-$38K private sell

Thanks

Category A.

Hi again,

You classed my 05 Audi A3 as category B, albeit borderline because of the low mileage, thanks for the info. I've now had it valued at about £6-6.5k here, and am still looking at the high cost of getting something to replace it in Perth. What are the (rough) costs of actually getting it there - your fee ($990?), $1000 workshop costs (is that correct), is there an import permit cost on top? And how much would shipping be, roughly, from the UK to Perth, and would this be in a container or what? Is RoRo actually on the deck of a ship??? And does that take the usual 6-8 weeks to travel therefore we'd be looking at 3 months without the car?

Thanks very much.

Shoot me an email and I can give you a breakdown of costs :) RORO is like a giant ENCLOSED car park - they don't sit on the deck getting spray all over them ;) Allow 3 months total time to get it over and on the road.

Hi Iron Chef, We have a 2009 Audi A4 3.0 tdi quattro (manual) with circa 50,000 miles. It has all the options, leather heated seats, sun roof, air co, sat nav etc. UK price if we were to hand to dealer, probably £15,000. I can't see a similar spec model in Oz, although Audi's do appear to be expensive.One other question, if you currently have dealer finance on the car is that still sufficient for actually 'owning' the car to meet the customs requirements?Really interested as to whether it stacks up, otherwise we will hand the car back (clause in the contract where we can now hand it back with 50% total finance paid) and just use the money to save until we're out there. However, don't want to do that if it doesn't make financial sense in the long run!:wacko:Thanks, Inge

Without even looking it up on Redbook, I can tell you it's worth bringing it over. Dealer finance doesn't affect your ownership of the vehicle, as I presume it's still registered in your name.

Hi Iron Lady,

You forgot me. I would like to bring our Mitsubishi grandis over 30k miles / aircon / 2006 with full leather DVD player. Valued approx £6000 in uk. I have seen on rebook are carsales.com.au for between $20-30k. It's a 2.4 petrol auto.

What would it cost including your broker figure to ship it over I trying to find out ASAP as i have just bought this car an if I can't ship it I will sell it now.

Thanks for your help.

Jo

Hi Iron Chef,

I have found this thread very useful. Was wondering if I could ask your opinion on my car please?

Mercedes Benz B160 2009

1.6 petrol, air con,

11,000 mileage

Uk price approx £11,000 to £12,000

I was unable to find a B160 on redbook, they seem to start at B180, so have got my resale figure from a 2009 B180

Private sale AUD$27-30,000

Do you think it being a 1.6 will be a big negative?

Thanks very much, look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Iron Lady,

You forgot me. I would like to bring our Mitsubishi grandis over 30k miles / aircon / 2006 with full leather DVD player. Valued approx £6000 in uk. I have seen on rebook are carsales.com.au for between $20-30k. It's a 2.4 petrol auto.

What would it cost including your broker figure to ship it over I trying to find out ASAP as i have just bought this car an if I can't ship it I will sell it now.

Thanks for your help.

Jo

Hi Jo, sorry you said in the other thread you were only going to have owned it for 9 months? That will probably mean you will need to sell it off either way. For what it's worth, even at $20K it would be a category A.

Just a word of warning to everyone else, avoid using Carsales.com.au as a guide for prices - Red Book values are more realistic as they are taken from the prices the vehicles are actually sold for, not what their owners think they're worth ;)

Hi Iron Chef,

I have found this thread very useful. Was wondering if I could ask your opinion on my car please?

Mercedes Benz B160 2009

1.6 petrol, air con,

11,000 mileage

Uk price approx £11,000 to £12,000

I was unable to find a B160 on redbook, they seem to start at B180, so have got my resale figure from a 2009 B180

Private sale AUD$27-30,000

Do you think it being a 1.6 will be a big negative?

Thanks very much, look forward to hearing from you.

It only just sneaks into Category A, but the good news is that they seem to hold their value pretty well, so I'd say it's worth doing.

Hi Iron Chef.

I am considering bringing our car with us later this year. I’ve read through your excellent thread. What do you recommend for ours?

2007 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI

Air con

100000 km

UK £ 5000 / 6000

Aus $ 17000 / 20000

They only have the 2.0 litre version in Aus would this be a problem ?

Cheers Tim

Hi Iron Chef,

Whats the classic market like?.

1975 Rolls Royce Shadow 1 (not white)

130K Not ususal rust bucket and Ive owned it nearly 20 years.

A/c, electric everything and it all works.

Realistic UK price in current market £7-£8K

Aus guide £14-17 so about same.

I know that sometimes guides can be a bit out for the odd classic thats on its way up. Do aussies go for Rollers?

Hi Iron Chef

We have 2 quite old cars and wondering if it's worth bringing any of them to Perth with us? I am a bit worried about the cost of buying two cars upon arrival as second hand cars look expensive!!

Car 1

Honda civic 5dr hatch 1.6 2004. Air con. 100,000 miles

UK value £2100

Australian value $9300-$11200

Car 2

Ford Galaxy 2.3 (people mover) 2002. Air con. 60,000 miles

UK value £1600

Australian value unknown ( not found in redbook)

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by Wrightx6

Hi Iron Chef.

I am considering bringing our car with us later this year. I’ve read through your excellent thread. What do you recommend for ours?

2007 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI

Air con

100000 km

UK £ 5000 / 6000

Aus $ 17000 / 20000

They only have the 2.0 litre version in Aus would this be a problem ?

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim, the calculator is saying Category A, but probably bump that to a B because of the smaller engine.

Hi Iron Chef,

Whats the classic market like?.

1975 Rolls Royce Shadow 1 (not white)

130K Not ususal rust bucket and Ive owned it nearly 20 years.

A/c, electric everything and it all works.

Realistic UK price in current market £7-£8K

Aus guide £14-17 so about same.

I know that sometimes guides can be a bit out for the odd classic thats on its way up. Do aussies go for Rollers?

Yeah I'd put it in the B category - if you've owned it this long and everything's working, I say bring it over, only because I'm sure you know that if you started with another one over here, you may end up with some very expensive surprises in the first six months of ownership!

Hi Iron Chef

We have 2 quite old cars and wondering if it's worth bringing any of them to Perth with us? I am a bit worried about the cost of buying two cars upon arrival as second hand cars look expensive!!

Car 1

Honda civic 5dr hatch 1.6 2004. Air con. 100,000 miles

UK value £2100

Australian value $9300-$11200

Car 2

Ford Galaxy 2.3 (people mover) 2002. Air con. 60,000 miles

UK value £1600

Australian value unknown ( not found in redbook)

Many thanks for your help.

Category B for the Civic, and Category B for the Galaxy. The Galaxy was never sold here, but given that it's effectively worthless in the UK, it might be worth considering if you want to drive it into the ground.

Guest Guest67761
2009 Nissan navara outlaw 4x4 2.5 diesel 6sp 32000 miles

Uk market value £12k

aus market value (av private price) $28-31k

This one is going to be in category B once you take into account the slightly lower Australian market value for personal imports. It would work out a little cheaper than buying a similar vehicle in Australia but not by enough to justify the hassle unless you had some specific attachment to this vehicle.

Hi, Could you give an estimate based on the below?

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon

2006 / Mini / One 1.4Diesel (R50) / 102k miles / Aircon

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

£4000

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

$14-16K

Diesel version doesn't exist in Australia, so price used is for Petrol version with 5 gears, ours has 6 gears

Guest Guest67761
Hi, Could you give an estimate based on the below?

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon

2006 / Mini / One 1.4Diesel (R50) / 102k miles / Aircon

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

£4000

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

$14-16K

Diesel version doesn't exist in Australia, so price used is for Petrol version with 5 gears, ours has 6 gears

This vehicle would be a fairly good one to bring with you (Category A) as long as you were planning to keep it rather than sell. Obviously the diesel models are better to own so that would be a good bonus, however servicing might cause mild anxiety until you find a workshop who is flexible. The genuine Mini dealers will probably help but may be a little costly.

If you were planning to sell this once you got to Australia then there would only be a few thousand profit which might not be worth the hassle (Category B) considering the time possibly required to sell a variant that was never sold new here.

In summary .. if you really like the Mini and want to keep it then probably bring it with you, otherwise don't bother.

Edited by Guest67761

Guest Guest67761
Does anyone know if 7 seaters are popular in Australia I have been trying to find my car which is a Mitsubishi grandis and can't find many of them or any other people carriers on the Internet.

Thanks Jo

Hi Jo,

Many Australian families are quite large so 7 seater vehicles are fairly popular. Of course we don't get all of the models from overseas but there are a number sold here in 7 seater format including the following:

Audi Q7

Citroen C4 Picasso

Ford Territory

Ford Explorer

Holden Captiva

Holden Zafira

Honda MDX

Honda Odyssey

Hyundai Santa Fe

Mazda CX-9

Land Rover Discovery

Mitsubishi Grandis

Mitsubishi Outlander

Mitsubishi Pajero

Nissan Pathfinder

Nissan Patrol

Toyota Kluger

Toyota Landcruiser

Toyota Tarago

Volvo XC90

I am sure there are others also, and not all of these are 7 seater variants so you need to look at the specific vehicle to see if it was optioned as a 7 seater.

There are a number of Mitsubishi Grandis 7 seaters available too, you can check out the list at http://www.carsales.com.au/car/brand new/dealer/demo/private/MITSUBISHI/GRANDIS?base=1216&vertical=Car&eapi=2&N=1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~1|Seats:7,7

Let me know if I can help with anything else, be it helping find a car in Australia or information about shipping your current car from overseas to Australia.

Best wishes,

Craig

Hi Jo,

Many Australian families are quite large so 7 seater vehicles are fairly popular. Of course we don't get all of the models from overseas but there are a number sold here in 7 seater format including the following:

Audi Q7

Citroen C4 Picasso

Ford Territory

Ford Explorer

Holden Captiva

Holden Zafira

Honda MDX

Honda Odyssey

Hyundai Santa Fe

Mazda CX-9

Land Rover Discovery

Mitsubishi Grandis

Mitsubishi Outlander

Mitsubishi Pajero

Nissan Pathfinder

Nissan Patrol

Toyota Kluger

Toyota Landcruiser

Toyota Tarago

Volvo XC90

I am sure there are others also, and not all of these are 7 seater variants so you need to look at the specific vehicle to see if it was optioned as a 7 seater.

There are a number of Mitsubishi Grandis 7 seaters available too, you can check out the list at http://www.carsales.com.au/car/brand new/dealer/demo/private/MITSUBISHI/GRANDIS?base=1216&vertical=Car&eapi=2&N=1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~1|Seats:7,7

Let me know if I can help with anything else, be it helping find a car in Australia or information about shipping your current car from overseas to Australia.

Best wishes,

Craig

a nearly bought an exhaust wee the same name as you? but a bought a blizt nur spec instead,:laugh: good name Kakimoto

Guest Guest67761
a nearly bought an exhaust wee the same name as you? but a bought a blizt nur spec instead,:laugh: good name Kakimoto

I love the Blitz NUR Spec exhsaust, they look awesome and sound fantastic!

Guest breilly

Hi

Can you help is it worth taking my car to oz ?

Audi A3, 2008

5 door , sport back 1.6 auto

30,000 miles

uk - 8,000

oz- 17,000

Any more info on overall cost to import including your cost would be great. :err:

Thanks

Guest Guest67761
Hi

Can you help is it worth taking my car to oz ?

Audi A3, 2008

5 door , sport back 1.6 auto

30,000 miles

uk - 8,000

oz- 17,000

Any more info on overall cost to import including your cost would be great. :err:

Thanks

The good news is that the realistic market value for this car in Australia should be up to $22k considering the low mileage, however personally imported cars tend to sell for a little less if the specification is not exactly the same as the Australian models, so best to expect around $19k to $20k to be safe ... at this value based on your given UK value you would be better off selling it before you come to Australia (Category B)

Current value = $12,250

Cost of importing = $7,250

Total cost in Australia = $19,500

Value in Australia = $19,500 (est)

If you have trouble selling it in the UK and find that you might get less than £7,000 then it will be worth looking into bringing it to Australia in more detail.

Hi Jo,

Audi Q7

Citroen C4 Picasso

Ford Territory

Ford Explorer

Holden Captiva

Holden Zafira

Honda MDX

Honda Odyssey

Hyundai Santa Fe

Mazda CX-9

Land Rover Discovery

Mitsubishi Grandis

Mitsubishi Outlander

Mitsubishi Pajero

Nissan Pathfinder

Nissan Patrol

Toyota Kluger

Toyota Landcruiser

Toyota Tarago

Volvo XC90

Best wishes,

Craig

We paid £8000 for it and by the time we have paid to ship it over I am wondering if it is worth the hassle although we would intend keeping it for a long time in oz. what do you think?

Hi, could you give me your opinion on my car, it's probably going to cost about £4k to bring it over, wonder if its worth it:-

Volvo C30 Rdesign, 2008, 1.8 petrol (they only do 2.4 in aus), 25,000 miles, aircon

Paid £13,500 two years now worth UK £8,000

Aus market value (red book) $13-15k (for 2.4)

Many thanks