Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

3 hours ago, laf said:

Hi Iron Chef

Please advise:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Volkswagen T-Roc Black Edition Tsi Evo Sa, Grey metallic

body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

SUV

- engine size & fuel type

1498cc petrol

- transmission

Auto dual clutch

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

Front wheel drive

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

Black edition, wheels, trim, logos

- does it have aircon

Yes

- realistic current UK market value

£26,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$34,000? Couldn’t find a match

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

$41,000

- which Australian state/city

Sydney, NSW

Hi laf, just spotted your email too. I'll get Cory to send you through a quote, but if you can get GBP26,000 for it, you might be better off selling it before you leave.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Iron Lady,

My family are in the process of planning a future move to Aus in a year or so.  Neither of my current 2 x cars stack up to take but I could swap one now in anticipation so weighing up options - I know I need to own any car for a year and that shipping costs and exchange rate may change in that time but I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following:

1. Is it possible to import electric cars to Aus (eg Tesla) or are there any particular restriction/considerations. 

2. Is it possible to import a classic car that has been converted to electric? And any considerations.

3. Are there any particular cars you have spotted that make most sense - I spotted late model Jaguar XKR over here for c. £30k that seem to be on Carsales.au for AUD110k - 150k - does anything beat that!

On 22/07/2022 at 19:36, AliG said:

Hi Iron Lady,

My family are in the process of planning a future move to Aus in a year or so.  Neither of my current 2 x cars stack up to take but I could swap one now in anticipation so weighing up options - I know I need to own any car for a year and that shipping costs and exchange rate may change in that time but I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following:

1. Is it possible to import electric cars to Aus (eg Tesla) or are there any particular restriction/considerations. 

2. Is it possible to import a classic car that has been converted to electric? And any considerations.

3. Are there any particular cars you have spotted that make most sense - I spotted late model Jaguar XKR over here for c. £30k that seem to be on Carsales.au for AUD110k - 150k - does anything beat that!

Hi Ali, in order:

1. Yes it is, shipping is still possible. We've done a number of them. Bear in mind that Tesla gets a bit sooky about doing over-the-air updates on vehicles that have been sent overseas. We currently have a past customer speaking to the ACCC about Tesla's reluctance to give his vehicle updates.

2. Only one consideration - get your import approval sorted before it gets converted, or you won't be able to bring it in.

3. Late model British sports cars make a lot of sense, money wise.

• 2 weeks later...

On 04/07/2022 at 02:07, Iron Chef said:

Hi laf, just spotted your email too. I'll get Cory to send you through a quote, but if you can get GBP26,000 for it, you might be better off selling it before you leave.

Thanks Iron Chef, I only just spotted your reply too.  I did receive the quote.  As you suggest I think we will sell it.  Unless we can be sure it will definitely be beneficial it's one less hassle.  Our exact "special" model isn't available in Aus to get an exact match.  We'll really miss it as we're German brand fans and not so keen on the Nissans, Mazdas, Toyotas, Kias and it's only 18 months old.  Still another thing we'll have to be flexible with.

9 hours ago, laf said:

Thanks Iron Chef, I only just spotted your reply too.  I did receive the quote.  As you suggest I think we will sell it.  Unless we can be sure it will definitely be beneficial it's one less hassle.  Our exact "special" model isn't available in Aus to get an exact match.  We'll really miss it as we're German brand fans and not so keen on the Nissans, Mazdas, Toyotas, Kias and it's only 18 months old.  Still another thing we'll have to be flexible with.

VW does sell the T-Roc here in Australia too 😉 

• 1 month later...

Hi Iron Chef,

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Alfa Romeo Brera V6

Coupe

3.2L Petrol

- transmission

6 Speed Manual

AWD

- mileage

125,000 miles

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

£6000 - £7000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$8,200 - $10,200

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

$38,000. (Closest matching vehicle had lower mileage)

Sydney, NSW

Many thanks

Tom

9 hours ago, Tom_P said:

Hi Iron Chef,

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Alfa Romeo Brera V6

Coupe

3.2L Petrol

- transmission

6 Speed Manual

AWD

- mileage

125,000 miles

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

£6000 - £7000

$8,200 - $10,200

$38,000. (Closest matching vehicle had lower mileage)

Sydney, NSW

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, a V6 manual Brera with AWD?! Hell, I'll buy it off you now 😂 rare as chicken lips in Australia.

• 3 months later...

Hi Iron Chef - a quick question on timing:

I understand you have to have owned the car for 1 year - but is this at the point of shipping from UK or at the point of arrival to Aus?

Im looking at moving to aus in just under a year - if I buy a car today, it won't be a year old at the time I leave the country (and would want to ship the car) but it would be a year old at the time it arrives in Aus..

Thanks in anticipation.

PS A stock 2007 Jaguar XK coupe (2wd 4.2L auto) with 100,000km on the clock is <£12k ($26k) over here and in Aus $25-36k on redbook and $55-$60k on Carsales - I'm guessing that's gonna make sense to take to QLD?

On 26/01/2023 at 19:12, AliG said:

Hi Iron Chef - a quick question on timing:

I understand you have to have owned the car for 1 year - but is this at the point of shipping from UK or at the point of arrival to Aus?

Im looking at moving to aus in just under a year - if I buy a car today, it won't be a year old at the time I leave the country (and would want to ship the car) but it would be a year old at the time it arrives in Aus..

Thanks in anticipation.

PS A stock 2007 Jaguar XK coupe (2wd 4.2L auto) with 100,000km on the clock is <£12k ($26k) over here and in Aus $25-36k on redbook and $55-$60k on Carsales - I'm guessing that's gonna make sense to take to QLD?

Unless things have changed you had to prove ownership and use (or at least access to the car) at the time of application for the import. 

On 27/01/2023 at 23:41, rammygirl said:

Unless things have changed you had to prove ownership and use (or at least access to the car) at the time of application for the import. 

Thanks I suspected that might the the case - And I'm guessing you need the paperwork in place to get the car on the boat (rather than submitting the application while the car is on its way)? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2023 at 18:11, AliG said:

Thanks I suspected that might the the case - And I'm guessing you need the paperwork in place to get the car on the boat (rather than submitting the application while the car is on its way)? 

My apologies, I missed this one! Yes you need to have the import approval before the car goes on the boat (I'm sure you can imagine how bad it would be to have a car refused an import approval while it's half way to Australia!).

There is a little bit of leeway in some circumstances. Email us if you like, and we can have a look at your situation.

• 3 months later...

Hi Iron Chef, 

Looking at 2 cars if you can help?

Hi Iron Chef,

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Porsche Cayman S

2-seater Coupe

3.4L Petrol

- transmission

Tiptronic Auto

RWD

- mileage

50,000 miles

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

£15000

$29,200 - $41,200

$65,000. (Closest matching vehicle had lower mileage)

Perth

Hi Iron Chef,

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

BMW 2 series

Convertible

2L diesel

- transmission

6 Speed Manual

RWD

- mileage

55,000 miles

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

£14000

Cant see it!

$35,000. (Closest matching vehicle had lower mileage)

Perth

Think the last one pretty much answers itself! Not leaving for 15 month or so, anything you'd recommend to bring?

Much appreciated!

On 08/06/2023 at 20:51, Fuzzbomb said:

Hi Iron Chef, 

Looking at 2 cars if you can help?

Hi Iron Chef,

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Porsche Cayman S

2-seater Coupe

3.4L Petrol

- transmission

Tiptronic Auto

RWD

- mileage

50,000 miles

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

£15000

$29,200 - $41,200

$65,000. (Closest matching vehicle had lower mileage)

Perth

Hi Iron Chef,

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

BMW 2 series

Convertible

2L diesel

- transmission

6 Speed Manual

RWD

- mileage

55,000 miles

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

£14000

Cant see it!

$35,000. (Closest matching vehicle had lower mileage)

Perth

Think the last one pretty much answers itself! Not leaving for 15 month or so, anything you'd recommend to bring?

Much appreciated!

Hi Fuzzbomb, and welcome!

In short, bring over the Cayman, sell off the BMW and buy something a little more lucrative if you still have 15 months to go 🙂

• Thanks 1

Hi Iron Chef,

We're planning on moving over at the end of December. Where we move to is still up in the air a bit depending on employment, but fall back is Perth for now. I've heard there's virtually no demand for manuals over there, but thought no harm in checking.

Thanks,

Marcus

- year of manufacture - 2021

- make, model & variant - F56 MINI 3-Door Hatch Cooper S Exclusive LCI II

-  body type - 3 door hatch

- engine size & fuel type - 4cyl 2.0L Turbo Petrol

- transmission - Manual

- drive type - FWD

- mileage - 12500 miles / 20120 km

-any special features, options or modification - Manufacturer options: Enigmatic Black, MINI Yours Leather Lounge, Navigation Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, 18" Pulse Spoke 2-tone / runflat tyres, Nappa leather steering wheel, Heated Front Windscreen, Roof in Body Colour, Piano Black Exterior, Darkened Rear Glass, Anthracite Headlining, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound

- Aircon - Yes

- realistic current UK market value - Carwow.co.uk valuation - £18,924

- Australian RedBook value - $41,500 - $45,200

- Australian market value - Closest match on carsales is only 8000km and an auto with sunroof for $55,880

- which Australian state/city - Perth currently but could change to east coast

10 hours ago, Coos said:

Hi Iron Chef,

We're planning on moving over at the end of December. Where we move to is still up in the air a bit depending on employment, but fall back is Perth for now. I've heard there's virtually no demand for manuals over there, but thought no harm in checking.

Thanks,

Marcus

- year of manufacture - 2021

- make, model & variant - F56 MINI 3-Door Hatch Cooper S Exclusive LCI II

-  body type - 3 door hatch

- engine size & fuel type - 4cyl 2.0L Turbo Petrol

- transmission - Manual

- drive type - FWD

- mileage - 12500 miles / 20120 km

-any special features, options or modification - Manufacturer options: Enigmatic Black, MINI Yours Leather Lounge, Navigation Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, 18" Pulse Spoke 2-tone / runflat tyres, Nappa leather steering wheel, Heated Front Windscreen, Roof in Body Colour, Piano Black Exterior, Darkened Rear Glass, Anthracite Headlining, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound

- Aircon - Yes

- realistic current UK market value - Carwow.co.uk valuation - £18,924

- Australian RedBook value - $41,500 - $45,200

- Australian market value - Closest match on carsales is only 8000km and an auto with sunroof for $55,880

- which Australian state/city - Perth currently but could change to east coast

Welcome! Yes that's worth doing, based on those numbers, especially if you end up in Perth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iron Chef

I am in the process of applying to move to Australia (Perth) and wondering if it is worth bringing my vehicle with me. 

It is approximately 2 years before the move so could sell and buy something worth bringing over if this isn't. Recommendations welcome. 

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Ford, Edge, Sport

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

SUV

2.0l Diesel

- transmission

Manual

4WD

- mileage

Lux package 

- does it have aircon

Yes

£20,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

Not found Australian equivalent 

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Perth

Thanks for your help

7 hours ago, MJubby said:

Hi Iron Chef

I am in the process of applying to move to Australia (Perth) and wondering if it is worth bringing my vehicle with me. 

It is approximately 2 years before the move so could sell and buy something worth bringing over if this isn't. Recommendations welcome. 

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Ford, Edge, Sport

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

SUV

2.0l Diesel

- transmission

Manual

4WD

- mileage

Lux package 

- does it have aircon

Yes

£20,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Perth

Thanks for your help

Welcome to PIO! I would recommend leaving that one in the UK. It was sold here as the Escape (no idea why the different name) - you would have the only manual diesel one here, which may hold some appeal, but they didn't hold their value that well here. Only bring it if you can't bear to part with it.

4 hours ago, Iron Chef said:

Welcome to PIO! I would recommend leaving that one in the UK. It was sold here as the Escape (no idea why the different name) - you would have the only manual diesel one here, which may hold some appeal, but they didn't hold their value that well here. Only bring it if you can't bear to part with it.

Thank you fir the welcome. Its a very nice car but not something I can't bare to leave behind. 

Could you recommend a good size family car that would be worth bringing over? Or something that is highly sort after?

Thanks 

47 minutes ago, MJubby said:

Thank you fir the welcome. Its a very nice car but not something I can't bare to leave behind. 

Could you recommend a good size family car that would be worth bringing over? Or something that is highly sort after?

Thanks 

Luxury brands are a good bet. I would look at a late model Jaguar, depending on your budget.

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Is it actually profitable to buy a car in the UK especially to bring out to Australia?

1 hour ago, Iron Chef said:

We'd probably be out of a job if it wasn't 😉

I was wondering if someone had previously lived here and then moved back to the UK for a while, would they be allowed to ship a car to Australia if they then decided to return here? (or is that option only available to new migrants?). My understanding was that you needed to own the vehicle for year or more before you left.

Edited by InnerVoice

On 01/07/2023 at 13:59, InnerVoice said:

I was wondering if someone had previously lived here and then moved back to the UK for a while, would they be allowed to ship a car to Australia if they then decided to return here? (or is that option only available to new migrants?). My understanding was that you needed to own the vehicle for year or more before you left.

You can bring in a car second time around moving over, bearing in mind it needs to be 5 years in between vehicles if you've already brought in a personal vehicle the first time around.

• Thanks 1