You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Iron Chef

Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Hi would you be ale to help me out thinking about bringing my car but unsure if it is worth it

- year of manufacture              2014 (63 Plate)

- make, model & variant           BMW 520D SE Touring

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)    5 Door estate

- engine size & fuel type     2L diesel 

- transmission          Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)   2WD

- mileage   128000 miles 

- any special features, options or modification  park assist,rear cam, coll warning, adaptive cruise, lane keeping, driver alert, road sign info, blind spot info/x traffic allert. paddles Paddles - No

- does it have aircon  Yes

- realistic current UK market value     £8500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)    

$29,800 - $32,900

Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - Not really one there matching model/ mileage/ year

- which Australian state/city   Brisbane

I am undecided about taking my car to Australia.  It is currently on a PCP deal so I would have to pay off the remaining finance (£19650) in order to sell the car in the UK or take it with me.  Alternatively I could voluntarily terminate the contract and hand the car back which I think will cost me circa £2,000.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2017

- make, model & variant Range Rover Evoque SE Tech TD

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Small SUV

- engine size & fuel type 2.0 litres and diesel

- transmission automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage circa 24,000 miles on the clock

- any special features, options or modification tow bar and reversing camera

- does it have aircon Yes

- realistic current UK market value £21,770

- Australian RedBook value I can only find SE is the closest version on there and it is slightly lower spec than mine and cars the same age are advertised for $67,551

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) Again SE is the closest match but slightly lower spec and private sellers are asking $51,000 to $51,990

- which Australian state/city Perth, Western Australia

On 13/09/2019 at 20:54, Ned1y said:

Hi would you be ale to help me out thinking about bringing my car but unsure if it is worth it

- year of manufacture              2014 (63 Plate)

- make, model & variant           BMW 520D SE Touring

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)    5 Door estate

- engine size & fuel type     2L diesel 

- transmission          Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)   2WD

- mileage   128000 miles 

- any special features, options or modification  park assist,rear cam, coll warning, adaptive cruise, lane keeping, driver alert, road sign info, blind spot info/x traffic allert. paddles Paddles - No

- does it have aircon  Yes

- realistic current UK market value     £8500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)    

$29,800 - $32,900

Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - Not really one there matching model/ mileage/ year

- which Australian state/city   Brisbane

My apologies, I didn't get a notification about your enquiry. It would be a bit of a unicorn in Australia because it's a manual, which may be a blessing or a curse come sale time. I'd love to have one personally.  Servicing wouldn't be an issue. If you like shifting your own gears, definitely worth bringing over.

Iron Lady Imports ... For more information visit www.ironladyimports.com or PM me on here.

11 hours ago, Kelpie said:

I am undecided about taking my car to Australia.  It is currently on a PCP deal so I would have to pay off the remaining finance (£19650) in order to sell the car in the UK or take it with me.  Alternatively I could voluntarily terminate the contract and hand the car back which I think will cost me circa £2,000.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2017

- make, model & variant Range Rover Evoque SE Tech TD

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Small SUV

- engine size & fuel type 2.0 litres and diesel

- transmission automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage circa 24,000 miles on the clock

- any special features, options or modification tow bar and reversing camera

- realistic current UK market value £21,770

- Australian RedBook value I can only find SE is the closest version on there and it is slightly lower spec than mine and cars the same age are advertised for $67,551

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) Again SE is the closest match but slightly lower spec and private sellers are asking $51,000 to $51,990

- which Australian state/city Perth, Western Australia

Worth doing based on those numbers.

Iron Lady Imports ... For more information visit www.ironladyimports.com or PM me on here.

Hello! - We're moving out September next year, transferring from UK Military to ADF, will be based in Adelaide. Hadn't really considered taking the car (custom motorbike - yes!) so just testing the water. We own it outright. Also, under personal import rules, can both my wife and I take a vehicle each? (e.g. me motorbike, wife car)?

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture Jan 2015

- make, model & variant Mercedes-Benz C250 BlueTEC Diesel SPORT PREMIUM Estate (Wagon) W205

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Wagon

- engine size & fuel type 2.1L Diesel

- transmission Auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) RWD

- mileage 62000 (will be nearer 70k by the time we go)

- any special features, options or modification Panoramic Roof, Heated Seats, Obsidian Black Metallic paint

- realistic current UK market value £15000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $35400 - $38800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) Can only find saloon, but $35000 seems average

- which Australian state/city Adelaide, SA

Thanks in advance.

Stream: 186 Employer Nomination

Applicants: 4

Nomination and Visa Applied: 9 Dec 19

Medicals Done: 16 Dec 19

Nomination approved: 20 Jan 2020

Visa Status: Received
Flying: 7 Sep 20

I've been trying to find a car that is worthwhile bringing back with me but am at the point of giving up. Second hand mass market cars in Oz that are about 3 years old are very cheap. I have also looked at S class mercs, 7 series BMW etc which there may be a slight margin on but after a few years they sink like a stone to the point where a lot of cars like classic Porsches are cheaper in Oz. Cheaper premium cars like C class mercs are cheaper in Oz, as are the whole japanese range. Mileage on UK cars is another thing - most cars in Oz would be a write off (or $1000 bunkies) with the mileages that are typical here. 

My rule of thumb is take the £ price, multiply it by 4, that's the cut off point in $'s - that's for a 'B' category whereby you won't really save any money but if you have the car already and you like it then why not?  

On 06/10/2019 at 02:43, Iron Chef said:

Worth doing based on those numbers.

I assume the exchange rate must have moved a lot in this time as it would be madness to do this now! a £22k car is $45k before you've even started running up import costs