Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2019 at 01:29, JetBlast said:

Hello

I am looking to purchase a new car and possibly import it into Australia in less than 12 months. I was wondering if there will be any tax  / import duty issues please?

Thanks

@Iron Chef

No tax issues, you will need to pay tax on it, regardless of how long you own it. Bear in mind owning for less than 12 months means you may not be able to import under the Personal Import Scheme.

• Like 1

If we brought our car over on a one year 'Carnet de Passage en Douane' would it be possible to later convert this to a full import without shipping the car back to the UK? I am asking this because we are currently waiting for parent visas and do not qualify for a personal import until our visas are granted.

19 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

If we brought our car over on a one year 'Carnet de Passage en Douane' would it be possible to later convert this to a full import without shipping the car back to the UK? I am asking this because we are currently waiting for parent visas and do not qualify for a personal import until our visas are granted.

This is what i did back in 2013 but it seems exceedingly rare so my experience may not translate into yours.

First, the Australian Automobile Association in Canberra allowed me a one year extension to the CPD and apparently that was common practice.

During that 2nd year of CPD i applied for a Personal Import which was granted and was authorized to not have the cars being shipped back (there were 2, one for me, one for wife).

However, 2 caveats:

- while driving in Australia (Sydney area) with foreign licence plates i got pulled by police numerous times and each time had to show not only CPD but also explain the whole thing to incredulous police force, so be prepared

- a taxation issue arose when the status of the cars changed: value as written on CPD or value as usually set for personal imports ? In my case the prices were hugely different and customs (CPD is managed by a branch in Brisbane) tried to tax me on the CPD declared value which was a lot higher than "street value" commonly used for personal imports, i paid "under protest" and it reached the Administrative Tribunal where i won the case (Canberra customs admitted that Brisbane was in the wrong) so i spent the good part of 2 years fighting the fed govt over this to get refunded the excess paid

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

This is what i did back in 2013 but it seems exceedingly rare so my experience may not translate into yours.

Now some legal technicalities. Entry with CPD belongs to the broad category of "temporary imports". It is not uncommon for a temporary import to become permanent, so when the temporary import happens you have to fill a customs form (showing value) and if ever the item is not re-exported you pay taxes as per the declaration on this customs form. However there is no such custom form when entering a car under CPD as CPD effectively replaces the local documentation. Hence no Australian "declared value" upon CPD import, and Canberra customs admitted in my case that the CPD value did not constitute a proper value under the tax regulations: as a result the valuation of a car moving from CPD to PIS is in limbo, you have to retroactively value the car as a PIS on the date it landed with CPD, which after months or even 2 years elapsed is hard to do.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Legally possible, but generally frowned upon by Department of Infrastructure. Good to read of your experiences NSA. I usually advise people against doing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nsa said:

First, the Australian Automobile Association in Canberra allowed me a one year extension to the CPD and apparently that was common practice.

During that 2nd year of CPD i applied for a Personal Import which was granted and was authorized to not have the cars being shipped back (there were 2, one for me, one for wife).

However, 2 caveats:

- while driving in Australia (Sydney area) with foreign licence plates i got pulled by police numerous times and each time had to show not only CPD but also explain the whole thing to incredulous police force, so be prepared

- a taxation issue arose when the status of the cars changed: value as written on CPD or value as usually set for personal imports ? In my case the prices were hugely different and customs (CPD is managed by a branch in Brisbane) tried to tax me on the CPD declared value which was a lot higher than "street value" commonly used for personal imports, i paid "under protest" and it reached the Administrative Tribunal where i won the case (Canberra customs admitted that Brisbane was in the wrong) so i spent the good part of 2 years fighting the fed govt over this to get refunded the excess paid

As a bonus, you don't have to pay tolls with an internationally-registered vehicle either (I hope you realised that!). Legislation on tolls only governs Australian-registered vehicles. 

Regarding the customs value issue, the easiest solution is to get an independent valuation done. It saves a significant amount of money in taxes.

• Like 1

We are looking at moving to Melbourne from the UK in about 3/4 years, and also right now looking to replace one of our cars here.

It would be interesting to know if we could buy something here that would be worthwhile importing when we move.

Considering a Nissan Patrol or similar (we still have a camper trailer in Oz from last time we are there and use for holidays, we used to pull that with a -much beloved -  patrol).

Cost for a 2005 3l diesel in UK is £6-£7k for a great condition one with 100 - 150k miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate,

I am wondering whether to bring my car over:-

Year: 2012 Nissan Qashqai NTEC
Make, model & variant: Nissan Qashqai NTEC
Body Type: SUV
Engine & Fuel: 1.6L Petrol
Transmission: Manual
Drive type: Front wheel drive
Mileage: 67,000
Any special features, options or modification: None
Aircon: Yes
Realistic current UK market value: £6,500
Australian RedBook value:  Closest match was $16,500 - $18,600, but this is a 2014 2L, couldn't find anything older
Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au): Closest match I could find was $20,000 but couldn't find anything older than 2014, and were all 2L Automatics

Australian state/city: Queensland/Brisbane

My wife also drives a Seat Alhambra, but can't seem to see that or the VW Sharan on the carsales or redbook sites, I might have to dig around a little deeper.

On 01/02/2012 at 04:06, Iron Chef said:

logo-180.pngOk I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category 😄 not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

😎 includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***

Halo

Hyundai ix35 2015 , mileage 35000, it has air-con,  UK worth about £10000  Australian value between $18000 to $23000

What do you think?

Thanks

On 10/02/2019 at 12:42, WayneM said:

Hi mate,

I am wondering whether to bring my car over:-

Year: 2012 Nissan Qashqai NTEC
Make, model & variant: Nissan Qashqai NTEC
Body Type: SUV
Engine & Fuel: 1.6L Petrol
Transmission: Manual
Drive type: Front wheel drive
Mileage: 67,000
Any special features, options or modification: None
Aircon: Yes
Realistic current UK market value: £6,500
Australian RedBook value:  Closest match was $16,500 - $18,600, but this is a 2014 2L, couldn't find anything older
Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au): Closest match I could find was $20,000 but couldn't find anything older than 2014, and were all 2L Automatics

Australian state/city: Queensland/Brisbane

My wife also drives a Seat Alhambra, but can't seem to see that or the VW Sharan on the carsales or redbook sites, I might have to dig around a little deeper.

Hi there, best to leave the Qashqai behind. We only got the 2.0 litre engine here, so the 1.6 would be a hard sell. (nb. your car was known as the Dualis here earlier on, presumably because Nissan Australia thought the name was weird). Also leave the Seat behind, not sold here, so no-one will know what it is.

6 hours ago, CeeJayKav said:

Halo

Hyundai ix35 2015 , mileage 35000, it has air-con,  UK worth about £10000  Australian value between $18000 to $23000

What do you think?

Thanks

Hi there, if you can get GBP10k for it, sell it before you leave.

• 5 months later...
On 01/02/2012 at 04:06, Iron Chef said:

logo-180.pngOk I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category 😄 not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

😎 includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture              2014

- make, model & variant           Volvo V40 R Design LUX NAV

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)    5 Door 

- engine size & fuel type     1969cc  Deisel

- transmission          Auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)   Front Wheel Drive

- mileage   38.000 miles  (61.000 KM )

- any special features, options or modification  park assist,rear cam, coll warning, adaptive cruise, lane keeping, driver alert, road sign info, blind spot info/x traffic allert. paddles

- does it have aircon  Yes

- realistic current UK market value     £8.000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)     $17.600 - $19.800   based on 80 - 130 K

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)   $24.500

- which Australian state/city   Victoria  Bendigo

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***

• 2 weeks later...

Hi would you be ale to help me out thinking about bringing my car but unsure if it is worth it

- year of manufacture              2016

- make, model & variant           Citreon, C1, Touch

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)    3 Door 

- engine size & fuel type     998cc, Petrpl

- transmission          Manual

- mileage   22500 miles  (36,200 KM )

- any special features, options or modification  park assist,rear cam, coll warning, adaptive cruise, lane keeping, driver alert, road sign info, blind spot info/x traffic allert. paddles NO

- realistic current UK market value     £4500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)     Unsure as never sold in Australia

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)   Unsure as never sold in australia

- which Australian state/city   Queensland Townsville

On 18/08/2019 at 02:38, Perry the Platypus said:

Hi would you be ale to help me out thinking about bringing my car but unsure if it is worth it

- year of manufacture              2016

- make, model & variant           Citreon, C1, Touch

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)    3 Door 

- engine size & fuel type     998cc, Petrpl

- transmission          Manual

- mileage   22500 miles  (36,200 KM )

- any special features, options or modification  park assist,rear cam, coll warning, adaptive cruise, lane keeping, driver alert, road sign info, blind spot info/x traffic allert. paddles NO

- realistic current UK market value     £4500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)     Unsure as never sold in Australia

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)   Unsure as never sold in australia

- which Australian state/city   Queensland Townsville

Put it this way, if you bring it over, it will be the only one in Oz. Given you're moving to Townsville, I suspect getting parts, even for servicing, would be quite an adventure, as Citroen Australia will be of almost no assistance to you. If you're a Citroen tragic and consider bringing it here a labour of love, then go for it, otherwise sell it off in the UK before you go.

I have a: 

2009 Ford F250 pick up truck

XL Super Duty, Super cab

4X4

5.4L V8 engine

Long box with Hard top cover

100,000km

Petrol

Automatic

Air conditioning

Front bench seating

Left hand drive

Would it be worth converting to Australian standards and bringing?

2 hours ago, Jenki75 said:

I have a: 

2009 Ford F250 pick up truck

XL Super Duty, Super cab

4X4

5.4L V8 engine

Long box with Hard top cover

100,000km

Petrol

Automatic

Air conditioning

Front bench seating

Left hand drive

Would it be worth converting to Australian standards and bringing?

Wow, cool. That would be a rare beast in the UK! Expect a conversion bill of someone around $30,000 on top of shipping and taxes, which changes the value proposition somewhat. Only consider it if you know the car well and want to keep it (and can afford the costs!), otherwise you might be better off selling it and buying one here already converted.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a query but unfortunately i don't have too many details about the car on me right now. What i can tell you is that it's on finance so we aren't sure where we stand with that and taking it abroad.

It's a Vauxhall Adam brand new last year 1.2 Energised with black alloys. Manual. I'm sorry i don't know more, i would try and find out more. Wife is currently away with the car.

1 hour ago, lewisant48 said:

I have a query but unfortunately i don't have too many details about the car on me right now. What i can tell you is that it's on finance so we aren't sure where we stand with that and taking it abroad.

If it’s on finance then you don’t own it, the finance company does

On 31/08/2019 at 20:30, lewisant48 said:

It's a Vauxhall Adam brand new last year 1.2 Energised with black alloys. Manual. I'm sorry i don't know more, i would try and find out more. Wife is currently away with the car.

As a general rule, shipping companies will ask for a clear HPI if they know the car is being exported permanently (for obvious reasons they don't want both car and owner disappearing). That being said, I love the Adam, but I am probably in a very small minority in Australia. Best to sell it off before you leave.

On 02/09/2019 at 12:28, Iron Chef said:

As a general rule, shipping companies will ask for a clear HPI if they know the car is being exported permanently (for obvious reasons they don't want both car and owner disappearing). That being said, I love the Adam, but I am probably in a very small minority in Australia. Best to sell it off before you leave.

Thanks for your reply, will have to find out what our terms and conditions may be of breaking the agreement early or passing it to somebody else

- year of manufacture              2012

- make, model & variant           Landrover discovery 4 Sdv6 XS ( SE in oz I think ) 

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)    5 Door estate

- engine size & fuel type     3L diesel 

- transmission          Automatic 

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)   4WD

- mileage   117000 miles 

- any special features, options or modification  park assist,rear cam, coll warning, adaptive cruise, lane keeping, driver alert, road sign info, blind spot info/x traffic allert. paddles Paddles

- realistic current UK market value     £12000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)     30-40k

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest couldn’t find one 

- which Australian state/city   Melbourne Australia 

2 hours ago, msadmn said:

- year of manufacture              2012

- make, model & variant           Landrover discovery 4 Sdv6 XS ( SE in oz I think ) 

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)    5 Door estate

- engine size & fuel type     3L diesel 

- transmission          Automatic 

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)   4WD

- mileage   117000 miles 

- any special features, options or modification  park assist,rear cam, coll warning, adaptive cruise, lane keeping, driver alert, road sign info, blind spot info/x traffic allert. paddles Paddles

- realistic current UK market value     £12000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)     30-40k

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest couldn’t find one 

- which Australian state/city   Melbourne Australia 

Worth doing based on those numbers. Mileage is a touch on the high side, but still better than most Aussie delivered ones.