Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

On 3/18/2018 at 21:25, Luke&Nicole said:

Low mileage and you've clearly thrown a bit of money at it, definitely worth considering bringing it over. Lots of great hills roads for you to test it out in Adelaide :) You'll need an exhaust with a cat to pass roadworthy here though (you can always borrow one for the inspection).

Hi there

My husband has a highly modified Fiat Abarth.  Everything about it is new or altered.....from the engine to the paint.  It's only a 2009 plate but that doesn't mean anything because its all new.  It is worth bringing it over.  But he is afraid it may not be accepted for some reason into Adelaide.  Has anyone got any advice on where we go for more help with this?

9 hours ago, sarah harmer said:

Hi there

My husband has a highly modified Fiat Abarth.  Everything about it is new or altered.....from the engine to the paint.  It's only a 2009 plate but that doesn't mean anything because its all new.  It is worth bringing it over.  But he is afraid it may not be accepted for some reason into Adelaide.  Has anyone got any advice on where we go for more help with this?

SA inspectors can be fairly...ermmm...."vigilant". Feel free to send me a list of modifications and I can tell you what will and won't make it through.

Hi iron chef,

I think I read something a while ago about having to have owned the car at least 12 months? 

My car is on it’s last legs and since cars in OZ are so expensive.

I would like to buy a brand new car or even a second hand car with low mileage to ship over there, despite not owning it very long.

Is it possible? Would there a heafty financial penalty or it would be the same as if you owned it a couple years?

Or am I better off, just buying a car in OZ?

On 3/22/2018 at 00:09, Newstart said:

Hi iron chef,

I think I read something a while ago about having to have owned the car at least 12 months? 

My car is on it’s last legs and since cars in OZ are so expensive.

I would like to buy a brand new car or even a second hand car with low mileage to ship over there, despite not owning it very long.

Is it possible? Would there a heafty financial penalty or it would be the same as if you owned it a couple years?

Or am I better off, just buying a car in OZ?

You won't be able to bring something over if you haven't owned it for 12 months, unless it's a classic car built before 1989. You're probably better off just buying here.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Iron chef 

Reading this post I couldn't find much indication on hybrid cars. 

I just bought a 2007 Toyota Prius from the main dealer with Toyota full service history.

It's Tspirit trim level with sat nav, parking assist, rear camera, Bluetooth, JBL stereo 6 cd mp3 player. Air con.

It would probably have 80k miles 130k km by the time I move.

Market value in a year's time in the UK would be less than £4000 but couldn't find one similar in Aus under $10000.

I will move to either nsw or qld.

I'm also planning to keep the car longer for commuting. 

Would it worth impoting it to Aus in your opinion?

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 18:38, zolikka said:

Hi Iron chef 

Reading this post I couldn't find much indication on hybrid cars. 

I just bought a 2007 Toyota Prius from the main dealer with Toyota full service history.

It's Tspirit trim level with sat nav, parking assist, rear camera, Bluetooth, JBL stereo 6 cd mp3 player. Air con.

It would probably have 80k miles 130k km by the time I move.

Market value in a year's time in the UK would be less than £4000 but couldn't find one similar in Aus under $10000.

I will move to either nsw or qld.

I'm also planning to keep the car longer for commuting. 

Would it worth impoting it to Aus in your opinion?

Thanks 

My apologies for the slow reply!

If you're planning on keeping it, then it's worth bringing over. Hybrids will soon start to become much more popular in Australia courtesy of a change in the import laws (inside tip here!).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Iron Chef!

So me and my Mrs are moving over in October and we were wondering whether you could help us find out if its worth sending our car. We had recently looked at the idea of buying a Z4  but i just read that you need to have owned the car for 12 months before shipping. Good job i read up!!

Our car is a 2009 E90 BMW 318d. Automatic transmission with 105000 miles on the clock. UK value seems to be around £3200 - £3800. Redbook values the 320d which is the closest model at $13200 - $15300.

Thanks for the Service!

On 5/10/2018 at 05:54, LouisHough said:

Hello Iron Chef!

So me and my Mrs are moving over in October and we were wondering whether you could help us find out if its worth sending our car. We had recently looked at the idea of buying a Z4  but i just read that you need to have owned the car for 12 months before shipping. Good job i read up!!

Our car is a 2009 E90 BMW 318d. Automatic transmission with 105000 miles on the clock. UK value seems to be around £3200 - £3800. Redbook values the 320d which is the closest model at $13200 - $15300.

Thanks for the Service!

That makes sense to bring over, based on those figures :)

8 hours ago, Londoners said:

Hello Iron Chef,

Could you please advise:

Mazda 2 Neo 2012, basic model 1.5 L 4 cylinder, 55K km. Redbook private price guide says $9,000, current UK market price is under £6,000.00 according to our research.

Thank you 
Kath

I'd be selling that in the UK, there are millions of them here.

Are Citroen DS3's like ten to the dozen in Australia (Adelaide)?  Or are there less of them so that it may be worth me bringing it?

It is a 2014 - Diesel - Cat D (repaired after someone had an accident) - High spec car, but because it is was Categorized D, it'll only be worth about £6,000-£7,000

Is a category D car considered less money in Australia too?

4 hours ago, Iron Chef said:

If you're heading back to the UK, then yes sell it here.

Thanks for getting back to me again.

We have a tiny issue here, we are already in London. The car is in a friend`s garage and we would need to move it soon. Tried to sell it among friends but no one was interested.

Do you have any advice how we could sell the car without being there? 

Thank you x

On 11/05/2018 at 22:53, sarah harmer said:

Are Citroen DS3's like ten to the dozen in Australia (Adelaide)?  Or are there less of them so that it may be worth me bringing it?

It is a 2014 - Diesel - Cat D (repaired after someone had an accident) - High spec car, but because it is was Categorized D, it'll only be worth about £6,000-£7,000

Is a category D car considered less money in Australia too?

I think there would be lucky to be ten of them here full stop! Cat D isn't an issue for import and registration (presuming it has been repaired properly).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was hoping you could tell me if it was worth bringing my car to Australia and how much it would cost me roughly. It's an electric car so I know there are other issues I'll need to consider, especially as electric isn't very popular in Oz but I'd be interested to know.

The other thing is that I will have only owned the car for 12months on the 24th June. I'm already in Australia...will this affect things - if i'ts imported after the 24th June 2018 is that ok?

- year of manufacture  2016

- make, model & variant Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kwh 6.6 charger

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Hatch

- engine size & fuel type 0.00 - electric

- transmission Auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) front wheel

- mileage 29500kms / 18330miles

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon? Yes

- realistic current UK market value £15000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $17400 - $19600

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) No idea - there are only two on carsales.com.au, both of which are 2012 models with the 24kwh battery.  One is listed as $20,000, the other $30,000

- which Australian state/city Victoria

Thanks ?

5 hours ago, Mel.b said:

Hi,

I was hoping you could tell me if it was worth bringing my car to Australia and how much it would cost me roughly. It's an electric car so I know there are other issues I'll need to consider, especially as electric isn't very popular in Oz but I'd be interested to know.

The other thing is that I will have only owned the car for 12months on the 24th June. I'm already in Australia...will this affect things - if i'ts imported after the 24th June 2018 is that ok?

- year of manufacture  2016

- make, model & variant Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kwh 6.6 charger

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Hatch

- engine size & fuel type 0.00 - electric

- transmission Auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) front wheel

- mileage 29500kms / 18330miles

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon? Yes

- realistic current UK market value £15000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $17400 - $19600

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) No idea - there are only two on carsales.com.au, both of which are 2012 models with the 24kwh battery.  One is listed as $20,000, the other $30,000

- which Australian state/city Victoria

Thanks ?

Based on those numbers the answer is currently no, but there are some changes afoot in government that will mean EVs and hybrids are about to become much more widely available in Australia. Worth considering if you're wanting to keep it for a while. 

6 hours ago, Iron Chef said:

Based on those numbers the answer is currently no, but there are some changes afoot in government that will mean EVs and hybrids are about to become much more widely available in Australia. Worth considering if you're wanting to keep it for a while. 

Thanks for that. Do you have a link to more info about the changes the gov will be making. Looks like i’ll have to get a banger here to tide me over but would go back into an EV in a heartbeat if i could. 

2 hours ago, Mel.b said:

Thanks for that. Do you have a link to more info about the changes the gov will be making. Looks like i’ll have to get a banger here to tide me over but would go back into an EV in a heartbeat if i could. 

This has been my whole world for the last two years almost, much to the detriment of my business in the short term! New regulations will arrive next year, allowing the importation of used EVs and hybrid variants of models already sold in Australia, which will in turn put pressure on new car manufacturers to import more of these vehicles rather than allow us importers to corner the market. Some interesting times ahead. I've been in Canberra every second week lobbying the government for it. 

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r6032

• 2 weeks later...