Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

4 hours ago, Iron Chef said:

Ok it makes sense to bring it over, as the prices of an equivalent here would be much higher. From memory, the Movano is a rebadged Renault, is it not? In which case parts won't be a problem here. A couple of caveats - 1) the cost of shipping will rely heavily on whether or not you can get it into a container, 2) no aircon could be problematic in Qld - it may be cheaper to fit aircon to the back section than to fit to the factory air-con (obviously bearing in mind you wouldn't be able to use it while you were driving if you took that option, but it's something to consider). 

Thank you very much for this. Yes, it's a rebadged Renault / Opel (depending on what country you're in).  I think you're right about the best option being to fit air con into the back section. I believe it can be wired it to operate both when you're driving as well as stationary. Looks like the high shipping containers are 2.65 metres and the campervan is 2.72, so perhaps won't fit. Bit of a shame because there's lots of space in the camper to fit other household belongings, which I assume you could do if it was in a container.

2 minutes ago, Ricky G said:

Thank you very much for this. Yes, it's a rebadged Renault / Opel (depending on what country you're in).  I think you're right about the best option being to fit air con into the back section. I believe it can be wired it to operate both when you're driving as well as stationary. Looks like the high shipping containers are 2.65 metres and the campervan is 2.72, so perhaps won't fit. Bit of a shame because there's lots of space in the camper to fit other household belongings, which I assume you could do if it was in a container.

That's correct - email me if you want to discuss it further, we may be able to squeeze it into a container with a bit of clever packing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all 

I'm new to this thread, but have just got it from a posting on the parent visa thread. We are 1 year in to our 143 application and are wondering if we should take our car, but don't know costs and if we should. 

We bought a Land Rover Discovery 4 brand new in 2014 and I love it. First time I've ever owned a new car and probaly the last now that we're spending $100k on the visa. I'd love to take it with us, so was wondering if anyone could guide me on what it would cost and if we can indeed take it.

Thank's in advance for any input

8 hours ago, bry45 said:

Hi all 

I'm new to this thread, but have just got it from a posting on the parent visa thread. We are 1 year in to our 143 application and are wondering if we should take our car, but don't know costs and if we should. 

We bought a Land Rover Discovery 4 brand new in 2014 and I love it. First time I've ever owned a new car and probaly the last now that we're spending $100k on the visa. I'd love to take it with us, so was wondering if anyone could guide me on what it would cost and if we can indeed take it.

Thank's in advance for any input

$100K? Ouch! I just brought in a 2015 Disco for some good friends of mine returning back to Australia. Contact me via the website in my signature for pricing.

Hi Iron Chef

i've just tried contacting you as you said but I'm getting red flagged on two of the infills

1) Please provide a valid odometer reading......... the odometer reads 21432.4

2) Please provide a valid departure reading......... our departure date is intended to be 5/2/2018

When i type these in it won't accept them?

lid odometer reading

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2017 at 23:36, yeknowyerself said:

Hi, Weighing up whether I should take my Audi TTRS the only thing is I still have 2 years left to pay on the finance package, will I have to get permission from the finance company or should I just go ahead without telling them anything?

By rights, you are meant to pay out on existing finance prior to the vehicle leaving, but some shipping companies will ask for an HPI check, while others don't. Read into that what you will. 

hi !

Can you help, we are umming and arring about taking our car with us to Sydney next year. I want to take it, but my husband doesnt. Thinks its a hassle and we can just buy another car once there.

- year of manufacture 2011

- make, model & variant BMW X3 2.0 20d M Sport xDrive

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) SUV

- engine size & fuel type 1995 cc Diesel

- transmission Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage 40,000 miles / 64,500 km

- any special features, options or modification no

- does it have aircon Yes

- realistic current UK market value £16k

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)           $30,400 - $33,700

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $32,500

- which Australian state/city Sydney

Hi,

See what you think to this - hadn't considered shipping it but with the £/$ rate so poor, if I sold it here, I'd probably not be able to buy something as nice, and I probably won't add too many miles to it while in Sydney for a couple of years.

Thanks

- make, model & variant Mercedes C250 CDi Bluefficiency AMG Auto 2Dr

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Coupe

- engine size & fuel type 2143 cc Diesel

- transmission Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) Rear

- mileage 65,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification Sat Nav

- realistic current UK market value £11-12k

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)           $25,000-$28,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $29,000

Hi IronLady

Does your calculator work for Aus to UK shipments? We are investigating taking our Kia Carnival back to the UK (as the current shale/model is not available in the UK/Europe)

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Kia Carnival Si (known as Sedona in UK)

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

People mover

- engine size & fuel type

3.3L Petrol

- transmission

auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

FWd

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

towbar, front parking sensors

- does it have aircon

Y

- realistic current UK market value

Aus value circa $39

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Melb

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

On 6/23/2017 at 00:08, leedarama said:

hi !

Can you help, we are umming and arring about taking our car with us to Sydney next year. I want to take it, but my husband doesnt. Thinks its a hassle and we can just buy another car once there.

- make, model & variant BMW X3 2.0 20d M Sport xDrive

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) SUV

- engine size & fuel type 1995 cc Diesel

- transmission Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage 40,000 miles / 64,500 km

- any special features, options or modification no

- realistic current UK market value £16k

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)           $30,400 - $33,700

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $32,500

It's break-even currently - if you're happy with the car and know that you've looked after it properly, it's worth considering bringing it over. The M-Sport kit helps with resale here in Australia.

On 6/23/2017 at 03:41, MTut said:

Hi,

See what you think to this - hadn't considered shipping it but with the £/$ rate so poor, if I sold it here, I'd probably not be able to buy something as nice, and I probably won't add too many miles to it while in Sydney for a couple of years.

Thanks

- make, model & variant Mercedes C250 CDi Bluefficiency AMG Auto 2Dr

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Coupe

- engine size & fuel type 2143 cc Diesel

- transmission Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) Rear

- mileage 65,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification Sat Nav

- realistic current UK market value £11-12k

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)           $25,000-$28,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $29,000

Based on those numbers, that's worth bringing over.

13 hours ago, crypticat said:

Hi IronLady

Does your calculator work for Aus to UK shipments? We are investigating taking our Kia Carnival back to the UK (as the current shale/model is not available in the UK/Europe)

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Kia Carnival Si (known as Sedona in UK)

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

People mover

- engine size & fuel type

3.3L Petrol

- transmission

auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

FWd

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

towbar, front parking sensors

- does it have aircon

Y

- realistic current UK market value

Aus value circa $39

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Melb

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Sending cars back to UK is much cheaper than sending them here (presuming you've owned the car for more than 6 months). The current model Carnival is a pretty decent rig. Bear in mind the UK resale on a petrol version may not be as good if they also sell a diesel model there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Iron Chef.
Hoping you can give us some idea as to whether it's worth shipping our vehicle please.
The details you need are as follows:
Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCI
Estate/Wagon
2.0L Diesel
Manual
Front Wheel Drive
191,000 miles
Remapped to 170bhp
Yes it has Aircon
Current Market Value £1500-£2000
Aus Mkt Value $8000
Sydney

Hope that's enough to give us an idea. Thanks in advance x

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Hi Iron Chef,

Could you possibly give me an indication on my vehicle.

year of manufacture 2014

- make, model & variant Land rover Freelander 2 SE Tech TD4 (150)

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) SUV

- engine size & fuel type 2200 cc Diesel

- transmission Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage 45,000 miles 

- any special features, options or modification Options, Twin Sunroof, Front and rear parking sensors, Roof Spoiler, Detachable Tow Bar, Heater Steering wheel, 

- does it have aircon Yes

- realistic current UK market value £19,500k

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)           $32,000 - $35,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $37,000

- which Australian state/city Perth

Many thanks 

steve

On 7/17/2017 at 06:07, PrincessGhia said:

Hi Iron Chef.
Hoping you can give us some idea as to whether it's worth shipping our vehicle please.
The details you need are as follows:
Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCI
Estate/Wagon
2.0L Diesel
Manual
Front Wheel Drive
191,000 miles
Remapped to 170bhp
Yes it has Aircon
Current Market Value £1500-£2000
Aus Mkt Value $8000
Sydney

Hope that's enough to give us an idea. Thanks in advance x

Sorry for the slow reply, I took a quick break to Melbourne with my family, first trip away in about 3 years!

Leave your car in the UK, it's just not worth bringing over from a financial perspective, although the diesel wagon was only sold here in auto.

On 7/19/2017 at 18:28, stevej said:

Hi Iron Chef,

Could you possibly give me an indication on my vehicle.

year of manufacture 2014

- make, model & variant Land rover Freelander 2 SE Tech TD4 (150)

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) SUV

- engine size & fuel type 2200 cc Diesel

- transmission Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage 45,000 miles 

- any special features, options or modification Options, Twin Sunroof, Front and rear parking sensors, Roof Spoiler, Detachable Tow Bar, Heater Steering wheel, 

- does it have aircon Yes

- realistic current UK market value £19,500k

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)           $32,000 - $35,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $37,000

- which Australian state/city Perth

Many thanks 

steve

It's pretty borderline. I'd say bring it but only if you love it. If you can get that much for it in the UK, selling would be a smarter option, financially.

Guest chrischatt

Hi Iron Chef

Was wondering your views on shipping my car. Details are:

Year of manufacture - 2014

Make, model and variant- Jaguar XJ (LWB) Portfolio

Body type: saloon

Engine size & fuel: 3.0 V6 Diesel

Transmission: Auto & paddleshift

Drive type : Rear wheel drive

Mileage: 42000 miles

Features: keyless entry, keyless start, soft close doors, Bluetooth, rear seat entertainment, four zone climate control, heated and cooling front and rear seats, panoramic electric sun roof, heated steering wheel, sat Nav, parking sensors front and rear, reversing camera and more

Air con: yes

Realistic UK value: £32000

Australian RedBook value: AUS$ 91000-98000

City: Perth

Hope that's enough info.

Many thanks

Chris

11 hours ago, chrischatt said:

Hi Iron Chef

Was wondering your views on shipping my car. Details are:

Year of manufacture - 2014

Make, model and variant- Jaguar XJ (LWB) Portfolio

Body type: saloon

Engine size & fuel: 3.0 V6 Diesel

Transmission: Auto & paddleshift

Drive type : Rear wheel drive

Mileage: 42000 miles

Features: keyless entry, keyless start, soft close doors, Bluetooth, rear seat entertainment, four zone climate control, heated and cooling front and rear seats, panoramic electric sun roof, heated steering wheel, sat Nav, parking sensors front and rear, reversing camera and more

Air con: yes

Realistic UK value: £32000

Australian RedBook value: AUS$ 91000-98000

City: Perth

Hope that's enough info.

Many thanks

Chris

On those numbers, category A. That's right in the sweet spot for importing, pretty much.

On 10/05/2017 at 08:48, Ricky G said:

Hi Iron Chef

Please provide your opinion on shipping my car:

Year of manufacture = 2015

Make and model = JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED MJET II 200 4WD 2184cc

Body type = SUV

engine size and fuel = 2.2l Diesel

Transmission = Auto

Drive type = 4WD

Mileage = 14,600 miles

features = automatic liftgate, satnav, keyless entry, auto stop/start, front/rear park assist, cruise control, dual zone aircon, leather upholstery

Aircon = yes

realistic UK market value = £17,500

Australian red book value = $33,100 - 36,200

Australian market value = $36,990

Australian city = Brisbane

Many Thanks!

Alex