Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi there, we really appreciate your opinion on the following 2 cars:

First is a BMW 520d 2010 (E61), M-sport

Touring estate

2L diesel

Automatic

Rear wheel drive

89,000 miles

Has air-con

UK private sale value about £10,000

Unable to find exact model in Oz but about $35,000

Second is a Mazda 5 (MPV)

2L sport, diesel

Manual

Front wheel drive

Has aircon

approx. £5- 5,500 in UK

Unable to find anything similar in Australia.

We are unsure which state we are heading for yet, depends on jobs, but possible Victoria.

many thanks Iron Chef!

Hi there, we really appreciate your opinion on the following 2 cars:

First is a BMW 520d 2010 (E61), M-sport

Touring estate

2L diesel

Automatic

Rear wheel drive

89,000 miles

Has air-con

UK private sale value about £10,000

Unable to find exact model in Oz but about $35,000

Second is a Mazda 5 (MPV)

2L sport, diesel

Manual

Front wheel drive

Has aircon

approx. £5- 5,500 in UK

Unable to find anything similar in Australia.

We are unsure which state we are heading for yet, depends on jobs, but possible Victoria.

many thanks Iron Chef!

Bring the BMW, leave the Mazda 5 behind unless you truly love it. We Aussies never took to the whole small MPV thing, sadly, so it won't hold a lot of appeal to potential buyers.

Hi there,

Would love to get your views on if it is worth bringing the following car from the Uk?

Merc ML320 CDI Sport

3 litre auto

about 60,000 miles

has some upgrades (inc tow bar)

Thanks

Jon

Hi John, being diesel would probably make it worth it if you're going to hold on to it for a little while.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I have the following car:

Mitsubishi Shogun Diamond edition long wheel base

36k miles

3.2 litre diesel

realistic price £16,000.00

aircon.

Fairly borderline, although the low mileage helps its cause. Only bring it if you love it.

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***

Hi Iron Chef

Vauxhall Zafira, 1.6 petrol. Just under 40k mileage. £3,500 realistic value. 2007 plate. Couldn't really compare to Oz prices due to the size difference in engines!

Hi Iron Chef

Vauxhall Zafira, 1.6 petrol. Just under 40k mileage. £3,500 realistic value. 2007 plate. Couldn't really compare to Oz prices due to the size difference in engines!

Ok if you like it, you'll be able to get parts and servicing through a Holden dealer if you want to bring it over. It's mileage is certainly low enough if you want to keep it for a while. But realistically and financially, your best bet is to sell it in the UK.

Iron Chef, you are a lifesaver! Thank you for keeping this thread going. I was going to search for something similar on the thread, but as there are 99 pages to trawl through I figured I'd just ask.

We have a Volvo XC90 2.4 D5 active 5dr geartronic, diesel, 2010, 23060 miles (37111 km) . 7 seater with aircon, 4WD.

UK value around £19,000

Redbook Private Price Guide $34,200 - $38,000

Australian market value $45,000

Destination Sydney.

Also hoping the insurance / servicing won't be extortionate.

Thanks in advance.

Ok if you like it, you'll be able to get parts and servicing through a Holden dealer if you want to bring it over. It's mileage is certainly low enough if you want to keep it for a while. But realistically and financially, your best bet is to sell it in the UK.

Thanks for the info!

Iron Chef, you are a lifesaver! Thank you for keeping this thread going. I was going to search for something similar on the thread, but as there are 99 pages to trawl through I figured I'd just ask.

We have a Volvo XC90 2.4 D5 active 5dr geartronic, diesel, 2010, 23060 miles (37111 km) . 7 seater with aircon, 4WD.

UK value around £19,000

Redbook Private Price Guide $34,200 - $38,000

Australian market value $45,000

Destination Sydney.

Also hoping the insurance / servicing won't be extortionate.

Thanks in advance.

Happy to help :) I'd be super impressed if you got GBP19,000 for it! But either way, it's worth bringing over, if only because I'm basically shopping for that car (or something similar) for a family truckster and know what they're worth (which is definitely market value rather than the Redbook guide!).

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Do you know if the car seat fixing's on my car are ok for Australian child seat regulations, will i need any altercations?? There is two of these points only my parcel shelf. its a 2007 lci bmw 530 sport.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30136[/ATTACH]

Yep thats a Child Restraint Anchorage that should be accepted in Australia. The only thing is there must be one for each of the 2nd row seating positions so if your 530 has 3 back seats (designated by the number of seat belts) then you will need 3 of them. Most places doing compliance on your car in Australia can get them fitted but may look a little different to that one unless you specify you want a factory CRA fitted.

Thanks for the info! I did think this actually about the middle seats, and iv already looked on REALOEM.com and found the part i need. I have the fixing point for it in the chassis but i just need to cut a hole in my parcel shelf to mount the OEM anchor like it is above. Id rather do it myself as i don't trust your average garage monkey to do it neatly :cool:

Congrats on reaching 100 pages everyone! Nearly at 1000 posts!

Hi,

1975 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 1, aircon works, ive owned her 20 years, above average condition

UK price about £8K

Redbook $48,500

Aus market $17000

off to Perth

Not sure I'd trust that market price, Redbook is probably closer to the mark (and WA prices are also higher than the market average). It's worth bringing over.

Hi Im looking at buying a 71 Fairmont 302 from a guy in the UK

I live permantly in Brisbane it an AU built Ford that has been exported to the UK

the UK price is 4000 Pounds

thanks John

Providing its rust free, it's worth a look. Will probably owe you in the low teens all up, which is certainly pretty good given local prices are going up.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the swift response.

Might as well check the other one as well although I think I can guess at the answer.

Renualt Scenic

Redbook Private Price Guide $4,600 - $6,000

Aus Market Value = $8,990

UK price = 2200

Cheers

Thanks for the swift response.

Might as well check the other one as well although I think I can guess at the answer.

Renualt Scenic

Redbook Private Price Guide $4,600 - $6,000

Aus Market Value = $8,990

UK price = 2200

Cheers

0 from 2, I'm afraid. Good luck with your move to Australia, though :)

Guest Global

Hi I would like a idea of shipping my Lexus

Its a 2007 RX350 Automatic 4x4

71000 miles on the clock with Air Conditioning

UK market price selling private around £7500

Australian Market price around $22000

Hi I would like a idea of shipping my Lexus

Its a 2007 RX350 Automatic 4x4

71000 miles on the clock with Air Conditioning

UK market price selling private around £7500

Australian Market price around $22000

Will be break-even, financially. Only bring it if you're happy with it :)

• 3 weeks later...

BMW 330i Touring (petrol)

Manual, 5sp

100k mileage

3l

RWD

aircon

UK value £1100

Redbook private value $8-9,000

AUS market value $8-9,000 less import stigma

Melbourne

I don’t think that 3 litre tourings brought into in Australia, only sedans

might ship a 20’ container anyway so actual shipping cost negligible considering I can fill the car with stuff too!