Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi, I have a 2007 Ford Focus Zetec Climate, petrol, 1.6L, 45000 miles, air con, value in UK £5600-6000, AUD 26-29000.

Thanks

Guys, make sure you click on the MORE DETAILS on Redbook!! $26-29K is the price they retailed at brand new, now currently worth $13-15K. Technically it fits into Category B, but being a 1.6 I'd be dropping it to a Category C, sorry.

Guest Guest26110

Hi Iron chef, I have a 2011 Toyota Hiace panel van, diesel, 10k miles aircon, electric windows, heated mirrors [lol] the only downside its the UK model which is this spec and shape http://www.vandiscount.co.uk/-/toyhialwb/toyota-hiace-300-lwb-2-5d-4d-120ps-diesel-van?size=0&start=10 could you try and give me an Aussie price please mate, I think it is worth around $37k after checking the website there is a similar van on there, Cheers

Guest kianobeano

Hi Ironchef,

ours is

Ford Focus Ghia Saloon

has aircon

178,500 kilometers

1.6l petrol

about €5000 ...euro sorry!!

found one on redbook for 50k km but its a 2006 $13,990 looks exactly like mine !

Thanks so much, was thinking of putting it in the 40ft im bringing ?

In process of applying for visa to settle in Cairns and someone suggested taking my car with me and selling it there, I thought he was crazy, but thinking again . . .

2004, Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4S Tiptronic, 50,000 miles (80,000kms), aircon

UK value - £20,0000

Aus value - A$70,000-79,000

Hi Iron chef, I have a 2011 Toyota Hiace panel van, diesel, 10k miles aircon, electric windows, heated mirrors [lol] the only downside its the UK model which is this spec and shape http://www.vandiscount.co.uk/-/toyhialwb/toyota-hiace-300-lwb-2-5d-4d-120ps-diesel-van?size=0&start=10 could you try and give me an Aussie price please mate, I think it is worth around $37k after checking the website there is a similar van on there, Cheers

Wow you learn something new every day! I never knew they sold that model Hiace there! What's it worth in the UK? I'd guess at it being worth $25K or so here - that's actually a variant of the 100 series Hiaces, and Toyota only sell the 200 series here.

Hi, I am totally unsure what to do with my car.

Its a Toyota Celica, 2001, X, 83k mileage

£1000 in UK

$14000 Aus

145bhp

Many thanks,

Dave

(Help!)

Quite comfortably into Category A - is that all they're worth in the UK?!

Hi Ironchef,

ours is

Ford Focus Ghia Saloon

has aircon

178,500 kilometers

1.6l petrol

about €5000 ...euro sorry!!

found one on redbook for 50k km but its a 2006 $13,990 looks exactly like mine !

Thanks so much, was thinking of putting it in the 40ft im bringing ?

I didn't do the exact sums on it, but I can tell by gut feeling that it's a Category B if you put it in a container, or Category C if you sent it separately.

2007 / VW / GOLF GT / 30000 miles / Aircon

Market Value UK £8000 - £10000

Market Value OZ $17600 - $19900

Category B, which I'm a little surprised at - still making reasonable money in the UK by the looks. The low miles help your cause.

In process of applying for visa to settle in Cairns and someone suggested taking my car with me and selling it there, I thought he was crazy, but thinking again . . .

2004, Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4S Tiptronic, 50,000 miles (80,000kms), aircon

UK value - £20,0000

Aus value - A$70,000-79,000

Anything Porsche is Category A by a massive margin. Just so you know, even picking a mid point of AUD75K market value here, you have about thirty thousand reasons to bring it over.

Hi Iron Chef,

1) 2007 / Audi / A3 tfsi S line / 45,000 / Aircon / Full Leather, auto wipers, headlights

2) £10,000

3) $24,700 - 27,700

Cheers

Just scrapes into Category A. I'd do it, personally.

Hi Iron Chef

1) Mazda 6 Diesel TS2 Estate (Wagon) '03, Manual, climate control, 95K miles.

2) 2.8-4K GBP

3) $8,600- $10,500

Visa activation next month, making the big move in 15-18 months.

Cheers

Gaunty

Category C - flog it off now and buy something that will put you in Category A instead if you still have 12 months to go!

Guest Guest26110
Wow you learn something new every day! I never knew they sold that model Hiace there! What's it worth in the UK? I'd guess at it being worth $25K or so here - that's actually a variant of the 100 series Hiaces, and Toyota only sell the 200 here

Hi Iron Chef my van is worth £11,000

Hi Iron Chef,

I have a Sept 09 Volvo S40 R-Design Sport 2.0 Diesel (with air-con). 16,000 miles, UK value £10-12K and AUS value $25-27K (not sure here as redbook only shows petrol 2.5 litre for the R Design so have gone with that ??)

Thanks !

Hi Iron Chef my van is worth £11,000

Category B, based on $25K value here.

Hi Iron Chef,

I have a Sept 09 Volvo S40 R-Design Sport 2.0 Diesel (with air-con). 16,000 miles, UK value £10-12K and AUS value $25-27K (not sure here as redbook only shows petrol 2.5 litre for the R Design so have gone with that ??)

Thanks !

Category B on those figures, low mileage and diesel help it probably sneak in to Category A.

Guest Guest26110
Category B, based on $25K value here.

Category B on those figures, low mileage and diesel help it probably sneak in to Category A.

Thanks Iron chef, what would be the total price to ship my van to Oz [preferrebly Brisbane]

Guest Sherlock Zones

Hello and many thanks for this handy calculator

I have an old Jag and I am toying with the idea of bringing it over but not sure whether its worth it as it has high mileage and I am unsure of the Aus value as its not on the red book site.

1) 2003 / Jaguar / xtype / 161,000 yes to aircon

2) Market value in the UK £2000

3) Market value in Australia - Maybe AUD 12000

I had a transport quote to ship it out from my house for £2500 so said no but havent looked into driving it to the docks, I guess this is cheaper.

many thanks, Ant

Thanks Iron chef, what would be the total price to ship my van to Oz [preferrebly Brisbane]

Just contact me via the website in my signature for quotes :)

Hello and many thanks for this handy calculator

I have an old Jag and I am toying with the idea of bringing it over but not sure whether its worth it as it has high mileage and I am unsure of the Aus value as its not on the red book site.

1) 2003 / Jaguar / xtype / 161,000 yes to aircon

2) Market value in the UK £2000

3) Market value in Australia - Maybe AUD 12000

I had a transport quote to ship it out from my house for £2500 so said no but havent looked into driving it to the docks, I guess this is cheaper.

many thanks, Ant

You should end up a couple of thousand in front if you send it RORO. Category A.

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value

5) includes customs duty and GST

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

3) Market value in Australia (search via http://www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi Iron Chef, we have a 2007 Mondeo ST tdci, 51,000 miles valued at around £7,000 with air con, similar car on rebook (couldn't find a ST) is $37,000.

Many thanks

Michelle

Hi Iron Chef, we have a 2007 Mondeo ST tdci, 51,000 miles valued at around £7,000 with air con, similar car on rebook (couldn't find a ST) is $37,000.

Many thanks

Michelle

Sorry went into more detail and redbook are saying $18-20,000 oops xxx

OK still debating taking ours.

Audi TT roadster, 2007 reg one owner 36,000 miles

UK value around £10,000 (v. good condition)

Red book looks like $35,000

May put in large container with other effects. is it better to send via ferry?

Definitely worth doing - Category A. If you put it into a container, just remember the whole container will be delayed if you can't get your import approval for the car before it leaves.

Many thanks

Michelle

What you call an ST we call an XR-5, but we never got the diesel version of one here. My calculator is saying it just scrapes into category A, being a diesel will help it appeal to potential buyers when the time comes.